The Grand Conuration

I think all of Ghost Reveries is spectacular. Their best CD by far in my opinion. Though I'm not a real "metal head". SO... I guess I cant appreciate the old stuff. Blackwater Park and on is when they really found what they were looking for, I think. Typical metal in my opinion is quite boring for the most part. Even Mikaelangelo himself says his older stuff annoys the fuckin hell out of him at times. Metal is just so... done.... that's why shit like Meshuggah and newish Opeth just has me spellbound. It's a whole new perspective of Metal. ok, I'm done.

Zeta7 said:
I think all of Ghost Reveries is spectacular. Their best CD by far in my opinion. Though I'm not a real "metal head". SO... I guess I cant appreciate the old stuff. Blackwater Park and on is when they really found what they were looking for, I think. Typical metal in my opinion is quite boring for the most part. Even Mikaelangelo himself says his older stuff annoys the fuckin hell out of him at times. Metal is just so... done.... that's why shit like Meshuggah and newish Opeth just has me spellbound. It's a whole new perspective of Metal. ok, I'm done.

Meshuggah is so overrated. I gave them the biggest chance ever, but their stuff just doesnt do it for me.

The whole old is better thing is way overdone. Pretty much fans of any band who have released more than 5 cds have fans saying that same crap. Im not saying GR is any better than Orchid or Morningrise, im just saying they are very different. And there is nothing wrong with change. If I want MAYH, ill listen to MAYH, if I want Morningrise, ill listen to Morningrise. Opeth released 3 albums that sound similar (BWP, Still Life, and MAYH). Im glad they released something that was so much more different but still Opeth.

Meshuggah is metal for people on heavy hallucinogens. Hah. If you aint into em, that's cool. I think most bands are overrated. Hype is lame. Meshuggah just has some bad ass riffs and rhythms. I like the lyrics, they're unusually thought out and complex (especially for metal since it doesnt contain lyrics about demons and wizards ;P ). But like I said, to each their own.

As far as the Opeth albums, I guess it depends on what you're into. I'm more into the epic arrangements and shifting soundscapes that the recent 4 have had. The new one kind of gave me a musical boner.

I too tried very hard to get into Meshuggah but the repetitiveness just gets to me. I think only ears trained to Meshuggah can appreciate it (just my opinion), which is totally cool because I can definitely see why they appeal to so many people, it just isn't for me.

Yup I was gonna say Meshuggah is for a specific kind of listener. I would say smoke some weed and listen to it. Read along with the lyrics. The phrasing is awesome. And the man does have like the most bad ass scream ever.

SacredReich said:
I don't. I can still have a bitch about it though, and offer my opinion when it's asked.

The older Opeth songs were longer than TGC (ie Forest of October - 13:05, Twilight Is My Robe 11:01, The Apostle In Triumph - 13:01, and those from the Morningrise album are just as long as TGC). These songs are absolutely incredible and contain ten times the musical depth of TGC, if purely in number of riffs, time changes, and diversity of sound. But I think they go beyond that.

And yeah i see your selling out point, but I'm sure 99% of us agree that we love the way the band evolves. That said, I maintain that Orchid is their best album, and the old sound is superior to the new.

You're right that the old long songs contain 10x the depth of TGC, but i still like it. it just rocks. the lyrics are awesome and the guitar solo isn't bad.
maybe it should have been cut shorter, but i'm not too pissed about that.
also, i think i haven't fully absorbed the lyrical meaning of GR yet, so i guess in that context i don't like TGC nearly as much as the older stuff.

Zeta7 said:
Yup I was gonna say Meshuggah is for a specific kind of listener. I would say smoke some weed and listen to it. Read along with the lyrics. The phrasing is awesome. And the man does have like the most bad ass scream ever.
hey i got into meshuggah way before i smoked weed. they are definitely for a specific kind of listener though. the guitar riffs don't have enough to them if you aren't specifically delighted by rhythmic anomalies. Jens' scream isn't as good as it used to be, but the vocals continues to rock.

about the grand conjuration: its good live, on the album its probably the worst track opeth have written

the album version is a bit weak, but good nonetheless. for my money though, reverie-harlequin forest is the best track on the album, with ghosts of perdition and baying of the hounds tied for second, followed by beneath the mire then atonement, and hours of wealth. isolation years is alright, but lately I've stopped the album after track five, so I don't have much of a feel for the last three tracks.

Same here. I like Atonement... a lot. Don't know what it is bout that song. Love it though. Tracks 1-5 = better.

yes, atonement kicks ass!!! and i agree that the first part of the album is better than the last part, but still it's amazing... isolation years is probably the best mellow song they've ever written (tied with windowpane).