The Grand Conuration

TGC was the first song off GR that leaked out to the web. Listening that song for the first time was a huge disappoinment to me and set the expectations for the album very low. Too bad the quality of the song hasn't improved at all up to this day. TGC is just horrible. The only part I like is the solo and the harmonies after that. But the following growling part, for example, is just so bad that it's almost confusing. Is this crap really Opeth? And why to stretch that song up to +10mins?

Now I don't mean that I dislike GR. It is a decent album - my least favourite by the band though -(Much to TGC) but decent altogether.

I do agree that the main riff is played a little too often, especially near the end... But this is a great song nevertheless... The intro with all the strange sound makes my spine shiver, the solo is so wonderful I could kiss Mikael (ups... did I just say that?) and there are some killer riffs throughout the whole song... When I first heard it on opeth.com I was like: whoah! I hope the whole album won't be like that, because it's not a song typical of Opeth, but since it's the only one like that on the album, it makes it unique, so... I like it :D

I like the song. TGC is simple 'cause there aren't that many riffs in it and that makes it unique for an Opeth song. TGC is also the only song I can play on guitar (not including the great solo) so far. That makes it special to me - I would never say TGC is one of their best songs but it's a good one to relax and enjoy.

I fucking love TGC! I think it's one of my favourite Opeth songs. It kicks the shit out of me. I think it's heavy as fuck. Nobody will ever convince ne that it isn't awesome. I don't think it goes on too long (it allows Mendez to do funky basslines goddammit!!!!). It's definately a grower though, it took a while for me to like it at all.

If you understand anything about music, it is all about freedom of expression. They made the song the length it is, for the simple fact that is what the song in their minds to to be complete. I personally in the video that it is too short, and misses the whole three minute build-up at the end to the climax, to complete the song.

I am a new Opeth fan. I had never heard them before I saw them live on The Sounds of the Underground Tour in Detroit last summer. The two songs that stuck out in my head were "Deliverance" and "The Grand Conjuration."

Opeth simply blew me away with these epics songs, and for all you whiny bitches out there who want to change the length of a song because it is boring, DON'T LISTEN TO IT.

I hate to go back to this point, but some TOOL fans felt the same way between the musical transition of Aenima and Lateralus that Opeth fans feel between TGC -vs- Old Opeth. They felt that TOOL had sold out, and they could not understand why Lateralus did not sound exactly like Aenima. Personally, I hated Lateralus when it came out, and was very disappointed. Then I saw them live, and it completely blew me away. I realized that my bias to the new "TOOL" sound, was immature. I did not allow myself to open my mind, and to accept the "sound" changes that they have made. I now feel, and have felt ever since that show that Lateralus is the best album that TOOL has made, and I can't wait for the new one.

(I have heard enough TOOL sucks posts, so stick those posts right up your ass beforehand.)

Every band goes through sound changes and writing changes, and being in bands all my life, playing the same shit over and over again bores the crap out of me.

I personally want to thank Opeth for making "The Grand Conjuration" exactly the length it is, and I understand why they did it. It is musical genius.

MixGrafix said:
If you understand anything about music, it is all about freedom of expression. They made the song the length it is, for the simple fact that is what the song in their minds to to be complete. I personally in the video that it is too short, and misses the whole three minute build-up at the end to the climax, to complete the song.

I am a new Opeth fan. I had never heard them before I saw them live on The Sounds of the Underground Tour in Detroit last summer. The two songs that stuck out in my head were "Deliverance" and "The Grand Conjuration."

Opeth simply blew me away with these epics songs, and for all you whiny bitches out there who want to change the length of a song because it is boring, DON'T LISTEN TO IT.

I hate to go back to this point, but some TOOL fans felt the same way between the musical transition of Aenima and Lateralus that Opeth fans feel between TGC -vs- Old Opeth. They felt that TOOL had sold out, and they could not understand why Lateralus did not sound exactly like Aenima. Personally, I hated Lateralus when it came out, and was very disappointed. Then I saw them live, and it completely blew me away. I realized that my bias to the new "TOOL" sound, was immature. I did not allow myself to open my mind, and to accept the "sound" changes that they have made. I now feel, and have felt ever since that show that Lateralus is the best album that TOOL has made, and I can't wait for the new one.

(I have heard enough TOOL sucks posts, so stick those posts right up your ass beforehand.)

Every band goes through sound changes and writing changes, and being in bands all my life, playing the same shit over and over again bores the crap out of me.

I personally want to thank Opeth for making "The Grand Conjuration" exactly the length it is, and I understand why they did it. It is musical genius.

I can't beleive dumbasses like you exist. I'm not BITCHING about the length of the song, I'm just CONSTRUCTIVELY criticizing the song. Want to talk about freedom of expression? I'm expressing MY opinion.

If you dont like MY opinion, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TELL ME. Irony anyone?
The guy tells me not to complain about an Opeth song because they are expressing themselves; but when I express myself, he complains?

On to your second dumbass arguement, I never said anyone sold out or that anyone sucks. I like GR, yes, it's my least favorite Opeth album, but I'm not bashing it.

Goodai.

blimey said:

I see what you're getting at man, but come on? What, do you expect, on a discussion forum, to voice an opinion and then have nobody agree with you? You know better than that Blimey, I know you're not that silly :)

*EDIT* I'm not criticizing your opinion, I think you're 100% entitled to it. i just disagree, thats all :)

Blimey do you need therapy or what?! I don't mean to offend you, but you
are always negative and angry. Lighten up man! :)

TGC is one great song. A real powertrip! Of course, I don't like that ending
which is kinda repetetive, yeah, but apart from that... Awesome lyrics and
great moods! Not my fav, but great track basically!

The heavy part in the middle is possible my favorite moment ?

The solo is great !

Yes, the end is repetitive but it doesn't bother me.

I think Blimey's anger is attributed to Jose Theodore's performance in net ???

Simple a repetative doesnt mean its a shit song. Opeth have quite a few of these if you havent noticed.

People need to calm down. Moonie is going to have to go to being a nazi again with the rules and im starting to welcome it.

I feel like i have heard those Opeth riffs before but its just so damn evil. Really like the song, the solo is great and Mikes vocals are some of the best death vocals i have heard him produce. Sure the ending goes on a bit but thats how the song just flows and i really enjoy the percussion through out the song.

blimey said:
I can't beleive dumbasses like you exist. I'm not BITCHING about the length of the song, I'm just CONSTRUCTIVELY criticizing the song. Want to talk about freedom of expression? I'm expressing MY opinion.

The guy tells me not to complain about an Opeth song because they are expressing themselves; but when I express myself, he complains?

On to your second dumbass arguement, I never said anyone sold out or that anyone sucks. I like GR, yes, it's my least favorite Opeth album, but I'm not bashing it.

Goodai.

Heya Blimey, you took my quote all wrong. I am not trying to change your opinion on anything, I am just stating my opinion about the song. If you cant accept that, your loss. I am just expressing my opinion, and I am glad that you can express yours.

MixGrafix said:

the original poster was asking what was people's opinion of it, not "WHY DO U LISETN TO GRND CONJARAITON LOL"
so people stated their opinion. and as a matter of fact, i do usually skip past that song, because i'm pretty much sick of it after hearing it about 30 times when it was leaked.

steel102 said:
the original poster was asking what was people's opinion of it, not "WHY DO U LISETN TO GRND CONJARAITON LOL"
so people stated their opinion. and as a matter of fact, i do usually skip past that song, because i'm pretty much sick of it after hearing it about 30 times when it was leaked.

I was not responding to the original poster. I understood Blimey's issue with it.

When I heard GC for the first time, I liked it since I was overwhelmed with the other songs in the GR album. But, now, I always skip through this song, when I am listening to GR, over and over. Grand Conjuration is too repetitive for me. I consider it the worst song of Opeth in the album.