The Grand Conuration

at first i didnt like (and by that i mean it just didnt interest me as much as the rest of the album) Grand Conjuration...but i've been listening to it more and more...and never skip it anymore. theres just something about it....kinda hooks me now...

certain tracks just have a delayed effect on me at first. 'the apostle in triumph' had teh same affect when i listened to orchid...good song, but i didnt listen as much as the others...and now...its the song i ALWAYS listen to. same with credence from mayh, moonlapse vertigo from still life, dirge for november, deliverance, weakness, and now TGC.

i didnt list anything from morningrise because i barely ever listen to it anymore.

so in essence, i find TGC to be a pretty good song, not their best, obviously, but still quite good...it just had a delayed affect on me.

it also fits much better when listening to the album straight through.

I'm kinda interested in hearing what it sounded like before Mike revamped it. Maybe the first version was only ~7 minutes and he was like "shit, I need to draw this puppy out"

Tubbs Mcgee said:
^ That's the attitude people need, instead of saying hate you could say least favorite.

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFB

+1

See, everyone can do it. Just watch:

'Death Whispered A Lullaby' is my least favourite Opeth song.

Easy as pie!

Except... is it? Or do I like 'Benighted' less?

Argh, it's not easy, it's HARD, goddamnit!!!! :erk:

MixGrafix said:
If you understand anything about music, it is all about freedom of expression. They made the song the length it is, for the simple fact that is what the song in their minds to to be complete.

Opeth simply blew me away with these epics songs, and for all you whiny bitches out there who want to change the length of a song because it is boring, DON'T LISTEN TO IT.

dude, DITTO!!:D

Liquid Diamonds said:
+1

See, everyone can do it. Just watch:

'Death Whispered A Lullaby' is my least favourite Opeth song.

Easy as pie!

Except... is it? Or do I like 'Benighted' less?

Argh, it's not easy, it's HARD, goddamnit!!!! :erk:
I like Death Whispered :(

Good track but they could have shaved a couple of mins off the end.. its like the only Opeth track where I start to get bored at the end of the song, kinda like an anti-climax I guess. Still good track none the less

I honestly thik that it is not repetitive and that it needs that long of a time to get its point across. Its not my favorite song on the album, but its still an excellent song.

MixGrafix said:
Opeth simply blew me away with these epics songs, and for all you whiny bitches out there who want to change the length of a song because it is boring, DON'T LISTEN TO IT.

I don't. I can still have a bitch about it though, and offer my opinion when it's asked.

I hate to go back to this point, but some TOOL fans felt the same way between the musical transition of Aenima and Lateralus that Opeth fans feel between TGC -vs- Old Opeth.

The older Opeth songs were longer than TGC (ie Forest of October - 13:05, Twilight Is My Robe 11:01, The Apostle In Triumph - 13:01, and those from the Morningrise album are just as long as TGC). These songs are absolutely incredible and contain ten times the musical depth of TGC, if purely in number of riffs, time changes, and diversity of sound. But I think they go beyond that.

And yeah i see your selling out point, but I'm sure 99% of us agree that we love the way the band evolves. That said, I maintain that Orchid is their best album, and the old sound is superior to the new.

Unfortunately, it's probably the only Opeth song I'd list as "repetitive" - but I think the guys had the repitition and the traditional verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure in mind since they probably knew that it would be the single. Still a great song, though.