Here one for ya!!! The best Prog Power Band

AngraRULES said:
I'm VERY surprised nobody mentioned ADAGIO. They are definitely on the top too, with Angra, SX and Kamelot, which are all WAY more than Labyrinth.

While I agree with all the above being above Labyrinth, whom I I really like btw, Adagio isn't in the same league, IMO.....

J-Dubya

Bear said:
okay well to me Angra, Kamelot , Symphony X, Evergrey all fit that mold but the prefect blend to me would go to Kamelot. They take the power and the melodies and the progressive and blend it together pretty damn awesomely! Is that a word

Very well stated, Bear....I couldn't agree with you more... Just my opinion.... :headbang:

rrhoadsfan1 said:
I hate to brake out the big guns but..
Dream Theater
VandenPlas
Pagan's Mind
Nocturnal Rites
Gotta Love the Nocturnal Rites.. Very underrated band I think... Definetly headliner material...

I also have to agree with you on Nocturnal Rites!! :headbang: After seeing them in Chicago, I have to admit that I can't quit listening to Grand Illusion. I would love to see them next year at PP; and fom what they told me, they would love to be able to play next year!!!!!! Keep requesting them!!! :headbang:

I would go with Kamelot since I love them and have never been able to get into Symphony X or Angra (the other two popular choices). Maybe it's time to give Symphony X another listen to. Already gave Angra their 3rd or 4th try on my playlist.

AngraRULES said:
I'm VERY surprised nobody mentioned ADAGIO.

If you mean Dominate, then I agree. If you're taking into account their first couple albums, then they're not even close.

PS. I did hear Freeman, great album but not as proggy as I expected in order to consider them ProgPower.

It's as proggy as the average SX material.

Oh yeah, Everyone else failed by comparison for me...What a kickass live band..:headbang:

Kathy said:
I also have to agree with you on Nocturnal Rites!! :headbang: After seeing them in Chicago, I have to admit that I can't quit listening to Grand Illusion. I would love to see them next year at PP; and fom what they told me, they would love to be able to play next year!!!!!! Keep requesting them!!! :headbang:

Angrafan said:
Being Technical doesn't mean its prog, though :)
No? Than what makes it Prog, if not for the technical aspects? What element would you attribute to Symphony, Kamelot, Angra (musically) that you wouldn't to Nevermore (personal tastes aside)?

Zod

rrhoadsfan1 said:
I hate to brake out the big guns but..
Dream Theater
VandenPlas
Pagan's Mind
Nocturnal Rites
Gotta Love the Nocturnal Rites.. Very underrated band I think... Definetly headliner material...

You are talking my game when you mention Vanden Plas, but with them and Dream Theater, I don't hear very much power metal.

Bryant

General Zod said:
No? Than what makes it Prog, if not for the technical aspects? What element would you attribute to Symphony, Kamelot, Angra (musically) that you wouldn't to Nevermore (personal tastes aside)?

Zod

Well, Dragonforce gets quite technical sometimes and they're not Prog.

I'm going to throw you all a curve ball here, but it should be no surprise coming from me...

Therion. :Smug:

followed closely by Adagio and Pagan's Mind. :kickass:

I just don't 'get' Symphony X most of the time. I've never 'gotten' Angra, Kamelot, Vanden Plas, Sonata Arctica, or several aforementioned bands. And don't even get me started on PoS. *yawn*

But if you want pure unadulterated POWER tempered with progression - and not just on technical terms - then these bands are currently what I consider the best at ProgPower music.

:heh:

Symphony X is my definative prog/power band.

I'm not seeing much power metal in Dream Theater.

You can obviously make arguments for Adagio and Circus Maximus, but without Symphony X, would these bands even be playing this style?