Here one for ya!!! The best Prog Power Band

Am I going to be labeled a poser for saying Dream Theater? If you can watch the Instrumedley off of the Live at Budukon DVD without dropping your jaw you have no heart.

Did I miss the point? I guess I tend to lump power metal and prog together.
The comments about King Crimson must have thrown me off. I get distracted easily. :loco:

Where's the prog in Labyrinth? Obviously, you haven't listened to their latest release...Freeman. It's laced with enough prog to make any prog metal fan happy. Even the previous self titled release had them leaning in the prog direction. Labyrinth would also be my combo pick.

Bad Girl Tess said:
Oh man ....so many people said Angra and I just don't get it. Hmmmmmm.

Symphony X and Kamelot = Yes
I'm with you on this one. Those two w/o a doubt. :worship:

Tess, I just explained to you the reason for Angra... lol They've got so many different influences and elements outside of Power metal that make people unable to classify them as just "Power Metal"... More so than Kamelot actually, however Kamelot comes close to Angra and SX in the race for "Who can be more ProgPower?"

AngraRULES said:
Tess, I just explained to you the reason for Angra... lol They've got so many different influences and elements outside of Power metal that make people unable to classify them as just "Power Metal"... More so than Kamelot actually, however Kamelot comes close to Angra and SX in the race for "Who can be more ProgPower?"
Yes, sir. I will complete my assignment and report back ASAP. :headbang:

Heavenly Call said:
While I want to say Edguy as a personal favorite, it'd seriously be lacking in the prog area...I guess I'd have to go with:

KAMELOT. Decent mix of Prog and Power, incorporates variations on the theme (some death vocals, some female vocals), wide range of songs from machine gun double bass to sappy piano ballads, stellar musicianship, and gets an overall positive response on this board.

That's exactly what I would've said... I'm a HUGE Edguy freak... but hearing Kamelot's Black Halo and a pal giving me 'Fourth Legacy', they are quickly moving up my repetative playlist ladder :kickass:

Ascension said:
Where's the prog in Labyrinth? Obviously, you haven't listened to their latest release...Freeman. It's laced with enough prog to make any prog metal fan happy. Even the previous self titled release had them leaning in the prog direction. Labyrinth would also be my combo pick.

I obviously haven't, and if you read my earlier post you would know that. Read all of the posts next time.

The best band that mixes both power and prog is Angra, IMO.

Their last 2 albums were prog/power masterpieces.

I'm VERY surprised nobody mentioned ADAGIO. They are definitely on the top too, with Angra, SX and Kamelot, which are all WAY more than Labyrinth.

PS. I did hear Freeman, great album but not as proggy as I expected in order to consider them ProgPower.