Here's another riff I just recorded... anyone wanna rate the mix?

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
I'd appreciate any feedback/criticisms/advice/comments on the mix of this here riff, please... usual set-up for me, 4 tracks of rhythm guitar + 1 bass track through guitar port, Leafdrums programmed drum tracks, all mixed in Adobe Audition. Quite chuffed with the way the bass came out on this one... no lead guitars yet, 'cause I'm shit at writing lead guitar riffs.

http://www.geocities.com/philwhitehouse/demo2.mp3

I think it's hard to judge the mix because of the drums. They are pants (IMO) and because of that they're pretty distracting. I think it might sound pretty cool with better drum sounds, although the guitars sound a wee bit 'distant'. Try putting a little more mids or highs in the guitar sound I'd say. It might just give them that in-your-face quality that I personally tend to like.
Oh and note that I know little about mixing myself :Spin:

Yeah, the drums are awful, I know - I haven't got the software to do anything like velocity programming or slightly randomising the beats, best I can do is try to EQ them better... thing is, I don't know how I can really improve them because all I keep getting told is that they're pants... hehehe...

Bass is taking up too much of the mix IMHO. If you're going the drum machine route, which is pretty much not the ideal road to be on (to put it mildly) then you gotta cut a lot of eq out to hear the guitars. Be sure to record the kick, snare, toms, etc on to separate tracks so you can eq them individually.

I'm just using the drum machine for songwriting purposes and practicing my mixes, really... all the drumkit elements are on seperate channels too and being EQ'd seperately... I just can't seem to cut either the right frequencies or the right amount of those frequencies to get a passable sound...