Here's what the FIFA needs to do...

slashvanyoung

Dopefish lives!
Jul 18, 2006
Germany
Or rather NOT to do:

Establish electronic assistance such as video evidence and ball sensors.

Everyone knows this feeling: Your team plays exceptionally well but one or two fuck-ups from the referees change the face of the game completely.

It's a angering and devastating feeling for every fan, so the cry for video evidence, ball/goal sensors and such simply seems to be the logical way to put more fairness into the game.

You could also argue that these techniques probably would have been established in football in the early days if they would have been available and that they have been established in other sports quite well.

So far, so good. But let's take a step back now:

What are some of the most memorable and emotional scenes in football history?

The Wembley "Goal", Maradona's "Hand of God", Zidane's headbutt, Cantona's dropkick, Rivaldo's hilarious dive, Schumacher horribly tackling Patrick Battiston, Rijkaard spitting at Völler... and now the non-goal from Bloemfontein and Tevez' offside-goal etc. pp.

Yes, not all of the scenes were based on wrong decisions, but they have one thing in common that makes them so outstanding and memorable:

The human factor.

And they are to show that good referees will come out on top of most situations.

Establishing video evidence would take even more speed and flow out of the game and - most importantly - that human factor.

Now don't get me wrong: Such HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE bad decision as the non-goal yesterday need not to happen.

What we need is a compromise, so here's what the FIFA needs to do:

* Re-evaluate and consequently restructure the selection process for tournament referees:

This World Cup once again shows that there's a correlation between the level of football played in a country and that country's referees.

We need more quality than quantity. There are the best teams in the world competing and they should be judged by the best referees in the world.

Every referee at a World Cup should be among the best in the world not only the best of their local federation.

If that means that the vast majority of referees are from Europe, then it be that way.

Same goes for assistants.

* Establish additional linesmen as goal referees:

This was tested at the Euro League and it's IMHO the best compromise to prevent horrible misjudgements while retaining the human factor.

There will still be the occasional heated debate but we won't experience so clear misjudgements any more.

---------

We don't need video evidence being called upon every arguable decision, ruining the pace of a game and being used as a tactical mean to interrupt the game in the same vein as we don't need shit referees ruining a game with horrible decisions.

Discuss!

Why FIFA doesn't do it? Because there is a man called Blatter that wanna preserv this situation so that he can manoeuvre all his pawns.
It's the same in Formula 1. Yesterday there was the Webber's accident, the safety car went out........and when????? Between the car in first position and the others.....so he can do another lap at full speed and stay in first position, Hamilton did an infraction but they assigned the penalty when it was uninfluent...
I mean, wait at least that every car pass you or go out before the first car.....you can't kill the race like yesterday.
It's the same...the human factor can be a good thing but not when you kill the show.
Yesterday there were 4 cars fighting for the win and that episode literaly kill the race, like a bad judge error in soccer can kill a good match.

This "most memorable momments" aren´t necessarily a good thing. If you list the most memorable men from the last 100 years Adolph Hitler will be on it. Is that a good thing?

I admit that a bald blind asshole receiving a paycheck behind the desk is something very human, but the human factor that we should focus on football is the great player who devoted his life to football and want to make his fellow countryman pride. There are cameras all around the field. There´s a huge ass screen showing everything. Why not use it? Well, pretty obvious that there are interests. For example, the referee that Brazil sent to this World Cup is Simon. The motherfucker is basically the OJ Simpson of referees here. He´s THE WORST referee anyone ever saw in this country, and yet, he was sent to the World Cup. Again.

It's the same with the NBA man, and really all sports. Bad calls are a part of the game, yes it does suck worse when it's your team that is negatively affected by the bad call, but honestly if you think about it every team is at risk, so at least it's somewhat "fair." :lol:

In order to see any progress on this, you'd need a lot, let me say that one more time, LOT, of fans on board with the changes proposed. Then, you have to convince the powers that be that not only will it make the sport better for fans, but better for them as well (usually in the sense of $), because professional sports are nothing more than a business for them, after all. So good luck with that.

It's the same in Formula 1. Yesterday there was the Webber's accident, the safety car went out........and when????? Between the car in first position and the others.....so he can do another lap at full speed and stay in first position, Hamilton did an infraction but they assigned the penalty when it was uninfluent...
I mean, wait at least that every car pass you or go out before the first car.....you can't kill the race like yesterday.
Yesterday there were 4 cars fighting for the win and that episode literaly kill the race, like a bad judge error in soccer can kill a good match.

Massive cock up in the f1, the safety car was released in the wrong place, you are 100% spot on.

I have to say people hating on Hamilton is pathetic. If he hadn't slowed down (hesitated) he would have been through, end of. He didn't slow down alonso so he couldn't get through, alonso wasn't close enough. If hamilton served the penalty straight away he would have come out just in front of alonso, that wouldn't have helped alonso at all, and hamilton would have driven away from him.

No offence, but I dont reckon you'd be posting this if it happend to Germany yesterday and England won the game. I do think that the human factor is a good one though and I wouldnt want that sucked out of the game. The very least that should happen as you say, is to have touchline refs as per champions league. It's plain foolishness that they were not at this world cup when there is so much cash & passion involved from all around the world. Blatter should indeed have his head delivered on a platter for it. The guy is 74, probably senile and making these decisions might not be his forte any more.

If the ball is over the goal line then it's over the goal line

if it's not then it's not.

I don't see any need for any human factor in that.

Whether or not the goal is allowed based on that information is then up to the ref, but he needs accurate information

Don't get me wrong here, a bad decision like yesterday does definitely NOT need to happen. That's why I'm heavily advocating additional linesmen to monitor the goal line and the best refs at tournaments (I would have made the same thread if it was a non-given goal for us).

There's just no need IMO to completely examine every arguable situation (fouls, off-sides etc.) with modern technology as this would - again IMO - cause more harm than good for the character of the greatest of all games for the reasons I described above.

There's no way an additional goal referee would have called yesterday's goal bad. In '66, it was obviously a much closer call... but even if it was a decision against us, people didn't know for sure for decades and so this non-goal has become part of football history and culture.

What possible reasoning makes having a video referee for goal line decisions a bad idea?

You know what, I'd actually be okay with a ball sensor (faster and more accurate than goal cams) even though I'd still prefer human linesmen.

It's more of a statement against general video evidence throughout the game.

yeah I agree too much video evidence can ruin a game, best to keep it limited to a few really important black and white areas.

Or alternatively just have it a available to the ref on demand with the only exception where the video ref can speak out of turn being for red card offences and goals

e.g. if the ball went over the goal line then the video ref could speak up without being asked, but an offside decision could only go to video if requested by the main ref. on the pitch

many things become part of history and culture, doesn't mean they are or were good.

True. But I honestly think that some of the arguable decisions in football history actually enriched the game, exactly because they provoke so heavy emotions. People bond and divide over them

What would Maradona be without the "Hand of God"? The Wembley Goal laid the foundation for England vs. Germany to become such a classic match-up. People will remember Zidane's headbutt from 2006. etc.

I don't know if football would be the most popular sport in the world if these scenes wouldn't exist.

I don't know about you guys, but I personally LOVE talking and arguing about the game like it's been done in these threads here.

yeah I agree too much video evidence can ruin a game, best to keep it limited to a few really important black and white areas.

Or alternatively just have it a available to the ref on demand with the only exception where the video ref can speak out of turn being for red card offences and goals

e.g. if the ball went over the goal line then the video ref could speak up without being asked, but an offside decision could only go to video if requested by the main ref. on the pitch

Those are quite sensible scenarios but it's hard to balance it.

Refs like Howard Webb and Wolfgang Stark have shown with their nearly flawless performances at this tournament that you don't necessarily need technical assistance. But the FIFA's agenda holds some of the best refs back home when they're sorely needed at this World Cup.

Which brings me to a point I forgot in my initial post:

* the FIFA age-cap of 45 for referees is ridiculous:

Who would deny that exceptional refs like Perluigi Colina or Markus Merk could still outperform most of their competition? The selection should solely be based on performance, not age.

When a world-class referee gets too old, he'll automatically be ranked down so this age cap makes very little sense.