The official FIFA World Cup Deutschland 2006 Thread

Lina said:
Full article here.

That last sentence is bizarre.

What an excuse, Im not cultured. Had it been a common insult, Zidane would just walk away, I quite sure of that. Yet the naming Zidane the top player of the whole World Cup was a bit weird, and Totti shouldnt even be nominated. Has Zidane already officially spoken about the incident?

Yeah, the fact that he's "not cultured" narrowed it down quite a bit. Because before I found out, I thought he might have said something along the lines of "To sleep, perchance to dream!" or "Time and the bell have buried the day!" or "Ask not what your country can do for you!", but apparently this is not the case.

I dont know.. he's pissed off a lot of people, but I just think it's funny. I mean it's not like he's speaking in the name of the government or any of its branches, he's just a stupid old man being silly.. and I think it's very funny :D

Taliesin said:
I mean it's not like he's speaking in the name of the government or any of its branches,

Not the government, but as Vice President of the Senate, he is speaking on behalf of an Institution of the State. See, this is a case where international stigma hits the spot, in my opinion: in Italy we have, on the whole, more public figures who should be shot down than the average.

Italy.0.jpg

Pass the oil!

rahvin said:
Yeah, the fact that he's "not cultured" narrowed it down quite a bit. Because before I found out, I thought he might have said something along the lines of "To sleep, perchance to dream!" or "Time and the bell have buried the day!" or "Ask not what your country can do for you!", but apparently this is not the case.
:lol:

And actually, it's usually the "uncultured" ones who do throw around the terrorist insult.

@lina: i think that it's different - in the US people are more conscious that terrorism exists. really, in italy the ignorant don't go around saying 'terrorist' because it's a polysillabic word and it's not a household term as it may be in America. i'm not saying that materazzi's reply was truthful, but it's really unlikely that people with limited schooling would use that word to insult. racial insults, on the other hand, are common so i wouldn't be surprised if zidane's ethnicity had been mentioned... but i still think that among types like football players the most common slurs are sexual, especially related to homosexuality.

Nt3N said:
I hate that picture.. they are so..... :puke:

anyway, girls like it.. and I guess that was taken for girls.. not men..:Smokin:

I am a girl, and I love men. But this picture makes me want to puke! Hehe! I don't like that kind of men!

hyena said:
racial insults, on the other hand, are common so i wouldn't be surprised if zidane's ethnicity had been mentioned...
Here, terrorist is the racial insult for someone of Arabic descent (or Indian or Persian or Jewish, which says more about the insulter than the insultee obviously), but I take your word for it that that's not the case there.

rahvin said:
I read that as "punch trees or park cars when they're drunk", and immediately thought of the terrible stigma society should indeed put on those who Park Under the Influence.

(and yes, yes, capital letters, get used to it.)

:lol: this is priceless

anyway, i'm very glad it's over, some years ago i cared a little, now i don't anymore. people get completely crazy with football, at least around here, it's scary. i second what rahvin said, why someone would ever want to be represented by their football team puzzles me.

i'm a woman and i love that pic. what's not to love about five nearly-naked fit guys?