The official FIFA World Cup Deutschland 2006 Thread

If you dont care about football and only about your team's victory and are too stupid to grasp my point, please shut the fuck up, mkay?

Taliesin said:
If you dont care about football and only about your team's victory and are too stupid to grasp my point, please shut the fuck up, mkay?

I hope that wasn't meant for me: I thought I offered abundant evidence that (a) I have no team; (b) I was hoping Italy would lose the Cup in order to avoid having to listen to a million loud noises for twenty hours in a row. That, and I could not care less about football players of any nation and/or race.

Still, I bet anybody can find plenty of evidence of most vile fouls committed by treasonous German players against candid, innocent Italians who wanted nothing but a chance at touching the fabled ball. Because that's more or less how it works, and fair play (literally) is not very common at the top anymore, due to a number of reasons. You're coming across as a tad partial yourself if that's the case, but maybe I missed a part of the point.

i have to agree there, dives, fouls and all that are not something only italians would do, but we tend to notice it more since they won the cup. as was said before, in the semi-finals it's mostly a matter of luck who wins in the end. i have to say i didn't like the italian style of footie much, but i surely am biased so i'd rather not get into an argument about that. but one thing's for sure - noone will ever play fair if there are millions of €€€ to be made.

I was talking to Nt3n.

Im not saying diving or playing unfairly is something only italians would do, far from it. But Im not the only one who sees them doing it more than others. There are others who are good at it, too, but like I said, one of the candidates, Argentina, played fairly and still showed attractive and succesful football, so they easily won me over to their side.
Maybe my perception of football is different, but I dont care much about countries or teams (on the national level). As long as they play well Im all for it. There are teams I tend to cheer for, like France and of course Germany and teams I tend to dislike. In the end all I want was to see a good match and the best team to win, but that's just not what happened and that's what's still making me upset.

Feel free to show me some of the abundant footage of german players committing mean fouls though, if it's so easy to find after all

offtopic:

2_1z4fhx4_1.jpg

/offtopic

i couldn't give you any proof except maybe the punch by Frings that even the argentinian who had been hit denied. but then again, i might be biased.

6_tshirt_1.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Well, he did punch him.. but does that count? I found it kind of weird that he got suspended for one match, because every judge in the world would probably just have laughed and gotten him out on self defense or something..

Taliesin said:
Feel free to show me some of the abundant footage of german players committing mean fouls though, if it's so easy to find after all

As implied before, I don't care. If Italy is a terrible team of gargantuan barbarians, so be it, let's hope a lucky meteor strike will burn them to ash on this very night. It would take me hours just to figure out whether a certain man is playing for Germany or Portugal or Ghana, so you'll turn me into no Internet detective this time. ;) But now that you mentioned it others will probably want to provide examples, and I still think they will.

What is maybe more relevant is that you cannot hope to prove or further your point by providing a link to a foul committed by an Italian player during some match that didn't even take place during the event we're talking about (right?). Statistics, articles, competent opinions, yes. A video of somebody being an aggressive asshole, well, not really. I'm sure most top players are aggressive assholes time and again, and while this is certainly no excuse for behaving in a way that my mom wouldn't approve of (actually, she would. She loves the sight of blood), it's also not conclusive when it comes to Italy being one of the worst of the bunch.

I understand that you're upset, but I hope you can be reasonable enough to see that the reasons why good matches are few and far between of late, extend beyond a lack of fair play or the responsibilities of "aggressive" teams. I could even concede that Italian football is to blame for a certain degeneration of this activity into a constant game of: defense - stay on the man - take down the man - score 1 point - stop playing and just kill everything that moves. But this is what happens - as VultureCulture mentioned - when a lot of money is involved and the game is in the hands of a few powerful clubs. It could have happened anywhere. It's probably happening everywhere.

VultureCulture said:
maybe we should start a 2006 fifa footie survivor - voting out the worst teams?

Believe me, I never would have thought I'd end up defending Totti on an Internet forum, and my tolerance towards our recently returned heroes is waning so fast I'd probably end up using my mod powers to have Italy lose the survivor. ;)

my 2 cents: personally, i think that the portuguese were the worst divers of the tournament, and that's not nationalism, but rather a close observation of the games. as for brutality, i think that wayne rooney was worst of them all, closely followed by daniele de rossi and some of the argentinians involved in the post-game fight. on average, italians had their fair share of diving and violence, but i don't believe that they completely topped the chart of awfulness in either area.

hyena said:
my 2 cents: personally, i think that the portuguese were the worst divers of the tournament, and that's not nationalism, but rather a close observation of the games.

Totally agree.

Lina said:
Wow, Gaia's even more brilliant than we knew.

You bet. But I kicked her out of bed twice (shes trying to sneak into our bedroom every evening, because its much colder there than upstairs), so shes a little upset now.

rahvin said:
If Gaia is not the dog, on the other hand, straight back on his ignore list you go!

Marduk should have his dog register on this board, mainly because she's an awesome-looking dog and I'd love to contemplate a picture of her while I read her contribution to a thread about growling.

Yeah, hurt me plenty, cavalier. :p

Thats a really great idea! And you are right, beagles, although awesome-looking, can go really deeeeep when theyre growling. :)

Taliesin said:

You should put him on the ignore list, thats what I say. Or maybe you can give him one of those wristbands, Mr Uptight. :rolleyes:

Taliesin said:

please, do calm down.. it'a a bit ridiculous on your side to offend me just because I politely told you your message had nothing to do with the 2006 world cup... it's a bit too easy taking some 10-years-old videos to prove your pointless opinion... anyway.. do as you wish.. but, as a suggestion, u should try to take some more recent proofs, if you can find any :)

btw, losing a match does not mean u should be angry with me, but with your own team and with zidane :) and, again, I think that as the joy for winning passed for me, then anger should have abandoned you either, don't you think?

First Im french, then Im a viking. Can you please make up your minds? :rolleyes:

hyena said:
my 2 cents: personally, i think that the portuguese were the worst divers of the tournament, and that's not nationalism, but rather a close observation of the games. as for brutality, i think that wayne rooney was worst of them all, closely followed by daniele de rossi and some of the argentinians involved in the post-game fight. on average, italians had their fair share of diving and violence, but i don't believe that they completely topped the chart of awfulness in either area.
agreed :)

MILAN, Italy - Marco Materazzi admits he insulted Zinedine Zidane before the France captain head-butted him in the World Cup final. Materazzi denies calling him a "terrorist." "I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."
Full article here.

That last sentence is bizarre.