Heretic

So far the only thing holding "Heretic" back from being my second, and possibly overall, favourite MA album is the odd production. No bass, kinda flat. I was hoping that Trey, Pete and Steve would stick with the GTA sound but not use triggers on the drums.

and "Gateways..." is easily the best album MA album to date and possibly the best Death Metal album.

whats the drumcheck for anyway...
The drums sound... let me put it this way.. not like drums, triged as hell...
Still there are some cool stuff on it...
I have'nt really decided what I think yet but.... Ahh I have to have some more "go-through's!" I think...

Insision, now there's a band who's follow up i'm eagerly awaiting! :devil:

Impamiiz said:
whats the drumcheck for anyway...
The drums sound... let me put it this way.. not like drums, triged as hell...

Very true, the triggered drums are MA's major downside for me. When you have a drumming god behind the kit you want a drum production that sounds like Behemoth's on "Zos Kia Cultus". And on the subject of Behemoth, i reckon they'll be the predecessors to MA throne once, or if, Trey and Pete ever call it quits.

Morbid Angel said:
I'm sure that by now all of the Morbid Angel fans have heard about the new album "Heretic". I'm glad that they changed the title to "Heretic", because "H2K3" just sounded stupid.

Just incase you or others didnt know, the title "H2K3" was used by Earache not Morbid Angel.

Digital Metal.com: At one point the album was rumoured to be called H2K3. What happened to that idea? Why was it scrapped?

Trey: (laughs). We did the same thing with the last album. We don't tell anyone what our albums will be called, not even the label. So the label came up with that title to promote the record in advance. It was never going to be called that.

taken from the interview at Digitalmetal.com.

ergh, I hate triggered drums, I can never get over that aslong as I'm a drummer myself. I read that Pete uses them for the fact that he doesn't like the sound of his Pearl kit. He has an endorsement with a company he doesn't even like? PLUS, wtf, Pearl Masters are fucking sweet as hell. I'd be an idiot to trigger a Master kit. And then I heard Trey makes him use triggers.

i can understand triggering bass drums for a live performance, but not recording an album. Triggering the snare is just downright deplorable, i just dont see the reasoning behind that.

Gateways is my favorite MA and Death Metal album . Pure Genius !

The drum solo on Heretic will make all people, who doubt Pete Sandoval is the best drummer in the world, shut up. Believe me

bobbehay said:
The drum solo on Heretic will make all people, who doubt Pete Sandoval is the best drummer in the world, shut up. Believe me

Now he's definately one of the most inspirational drummers to myself, but saying he's the best drummer in the world is a bit too much. Pure fucking speed and power doesn't mean everything, but it does mean alot. I'd say there's other drummers in the genre who surpass him on the level of technicality and the amount of chops overall. Gene Hoglan, Flo Mounier, Derek Roddy, Trym, there's a few of them.

ChaosDeathcult said:
jesus christ and how could i forget Trym?????

I just noticed how easy quoting people was, sorry.
Trym and Sandoval are two of the fastest blast-beaters out there period. It still blows my mind when I listen to Gateways or Anthems to Welkin at Dusk. They're just so fucking fast.

Tim Yeung (ex-Hate Eternal, Vital Remains, Aurora Borealis and Agiel) is a damn fast drummer. Probably the fastest i've heard on the double bass.

Max Kolonese from Krisiun is possibly faster than Pete, or at least worthy of a mention.