hetfield black album info

Status
Not open for further replies.

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
ok im not sure if this is new icoulda sworn i read up on some metallica stuff but ive never heard this much detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hetfield#Amplifiers

"By 1990, along with the assistance of Bob Rock, Hetfield perfected the scooped-midrange studio tone that he had been seeking since 1983. He discovered that utilizing the midrange frequencies straight from a modified Marshall amplifier, layered over guitar tracks of his trusty Mesa/Boogie MarkIIC+ as well as the Mesa/Boogie MarkIV, plus an ADA MP-1 preamp and a Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 poweramp, he would get a much thicker and richer tone. He enhanced the frequencies by enclosing his four Marshall 1960B speaker cabinets with foam walls and U-Haul blankets, and carefully phase-canceled particular frequencies with eight closely-positioned microphones and two ambient condenser microphones."

thast one paragraph really blew my mind. who the hell writes these articles? is that even accurate? id love to get a detailed breakdown of what they did. james always had a perpencity for like using 75 different amps into 75 different amps and all types of whacky shit. the only other guitarist i can think of that is crazier gear wise is john petrucci. i'm pretty sure he owns everything mesa boogie has ever made, including t shirts and stickets, as well every mark iic+ in the world that james hetfield doesn't have, every other mark amp, recto, preamp, etc. i mean they aren't as cool as the stickers but still, impressive.

but seriously, it's pretty impressive how the guitars came out on the black album. my fav recorded metallica tone was the rhythm guitars on "turn the page" anyone have any info on this??? i think i read somewhere (and on that article) that us used wizard amps in the studio. but it sounds like he did a lot of layering on that song (not just alternating rhythm parts) but if its just the wizard classic modern amp then kudos to that amp, it sounds great. i'd be suprised if there was no mark iic+ or something in that song.

It probably is that complicated. Thou, you can just download the IR's that canadian guy made.

http://richardcookson.co.uk/Tattva/

I think he nailed most of the sounds. I've always prefered the AJFA sound. There are som upper 9khz "fizziness" in the palm mutes on the black album that I dont care for. But that's my taste, not others.. :cool:

Just started listening to it after seeing this post. First thing I realize is how AMAZING the drums sound. I love the kick sound.

The guitar sound is interesting... it's pretty good, but it's also pretty generic.

Yeah... That guitar tone is 1/2 the reason I bought a Mark IV... And it STILL provides me a very unique metal tone that isn't the usual recto/ 5150 tone everyone seems to be going for :D

So some ~9khz palm mute fizz bothers you, but the COMPLETE LACK OF AUDIBLE BASS GUITAR doesn't bother you on the AJFA? :fu:

I know I have made a habit out of saying this: the bass guitar is all over AJFA. Try to find the stems somewhere--you'll be shocked at how much of the sound is coming from the bass. In fact, if you take out the bass, you'll quickly notice that a crucial part of the guitar distortion is actually high frequency from the bass.

Yeah... That guitar tone is 1/2 the reason I bought a Mark IV... And it STILL provides me a very unique metal tone that isn't the usual recto/ 5150 tone everyone seems to be going for :D

What did it for me was LoG's "As the Palces Burn", even though something is very wrong with the mix and it sounds like it's underwater..... I was thinking Marshall AVT 150H and THANK GOD I didn't get that thing!!!

Mark IV love!! Riddle me this - you use TS? I find I almost have to use a TS now that I started using one....when I turn it off, the amp sounds dull and boring and something with the flubby low end kills me.

By the way; anyone else who have tried those IR´s I mentioned ? They work pretty well to me..
I understand that someone hate and some others do love AJFA's production. To my ears, there are plenty of bass spectrum from the guitars. Listen for instance at "Frayed Ends of Sanity", palm mutes on 3:44 and outwards.

one of the best sounding, most influential and innovative metal mixes to ever be created. Bob Rock and Staub? C'mon.

It probably WAS that complicated but it makes perfect sense to me (at least the mic thing does)... using a bunch of mics and using PHASE as your EQ instead of reaching for whats on the console or doing it after the fact..

Status
Not open for further replies.