Hey music theory experts - what sets metal apart?

Opethfan1980

Jaded and Gaunt
May 8, 2002
California, USA
sunsetfuneral.iuma.com
What is it that sets metal music apart, in terms of musical theory, from, say, new Metallica (Load/RELoad)?

What are the classical elements, etc. that are missing from most popular music, but are present in melodic metal?

Thanks.

i would say colors and rhythm. The distortion on the guitars and the rhythms on the drumming that often make it extra aggresive are the key. In some cases growling also but that could be counted as colors too.

tritonic triads, modular playing uses of the Aeolian, Phyrgian, and Locrian modes, varied time signatures..Death metal is notorious for out of key solos, ummma nd black metal is notorious for tremelo picked rythm.

As for "melodic metal", a lot of it I find is pretty much the same as pop music. Song structures are similar, simple hummable melodies are present to catch the listener quickly, and there seem to minimal excursions into exciting harmonic intervals or into anything that might challenge the listener.

Actually, what seems to set apart most of the more popular melodic metal from Pop music would be the drumming(often more footwork/handwork going on), and the styles of guitar playing people use. A lot of the chord progressions aren't that exciting or different from Pop, it's just that the guitarists know how to arrange the chords and play them/embellish them with other notes/quick melodic fragments. So basically, to me it is a slightly more technical form of Pop Music.

In this I refer to bands like In Flames, New Soilwork, Naglfar, I'm sure you know who I mean. :)

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow
tritonic triads, modular playing uses of the Aeolian, Phyrgian, and Locrian modes, varied time signatures..Death metal is notorious for out of key solos, ummma nd black metal is notorious for tremelo picked rythm.

Yeah. That's what I'm talking about. Weird stuff that I don't understand. Any chance you can explain any of what that is (if you have time)? Thanks.

Originally posted by Opethfan1980

Yeah. That's what I'm talking about. Weird stuff that I don't understand. Any chance you can explain any of what that is (if you have time)? Thanks.

aeolian, locrian and phrygian are modes, which are basically scales. The lead melodies and solos are composed from these. Each obviously give a different sound and vibe.

Hey I'll try to explain a little more what Thorns is talking about.. I don't want to get rusty.

Tritonic triads are just chords. Because it's made of two minor thirds stacked on each other, ie. 1 b3 b5, you get a tritone, ie. the 1 to the b5. Now most metal guys I would say use the diad form though which is like a power chord but you move back fifth by one fret to get a tritone.

Now for modes. These are the most wonderful musical devices ever. Aeolian and Phrygian are two of the minor modes and Locrian kind of just has it's own thing.

Aeolian - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8 (This is your natural minor scale and it's different from Aeolian because of the raised 2 and it's different from dorian because of the lowered 6. For extra fun try raising the seven if you want harmonic minor. Or raise the seven and six for melodic.)

Phrygian - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8 (This to me is the Spanish scale and it's quite a dark one. Yngwie is notorious for ripping through the Spanish version of this one which has a raised 3rd. Because of the minor second interval in it it has a darker more tense sound.)

Locrian - 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 8 (The notorious red-headed step child of modes. This mode is VERY tense but it is a lovely scale if played with. Chords that fit into it are limited though to min7b5, dim, min7#5 (I don't use this one much but I think the Moody Blues did or something). If you raise the sixth in this chord you can fit a lovely dim7 into the scale)

Just some fun.

Brandon

Originally posted by Raven777
Most mainstream metal is based off of the pentatonic scale... whereas melodic black/death metal or whatever uses more minor, harmonic minor and diminished scales...

Are these derived from (just variations of) the pentatonic, or are they completely separate?

Satori-

Hrmm.. the pentatonic scale is basically just a scale with five notes. Say we are in the key of C. Relative minor is A. Let's make the A tonic though. The pentatonic scale would just be 1 b3 4 5 b7. It's basically the minor scale minus the 2nd and 6th scale degree.

Now a minor scale is just Aeolian if you are talking of natural minor which I believe he was.

Harmonic minor is when you raise the seventh scale degree in Aeolian. Can give it a cool eastern sound... or a classical one. What have you it's a fun little scale.

Now for diminished scales. There are so many damned scales out there it's not even funny. For my I think of diminished scales as having anything to do with Locrian... I try not to think about it to hard.

Hope I helped some.. didn't quite follow question.

Brandon

Locrian is actually minor 7b5 scale....I use it cause it makes a wicked change from natural minor or major (i.e. if using G major as the base for modes, go from G major to G flat locrian and see what I mean...)

you can also speed your balls off on Locrian, as it has very comfortable finger positioning (for 6th string roots)

The min7b5 fits into Locrian like I said. That chord is also known as a half diminished chord though that name is not as guitarish I guess.

Locrian is used a lot in jazz.. and death metal. Odd.. maybe not.

Brandon

Ahh man it's not so bad.. I personally love theory and I can't wait until I learn more!

Other then that I'm more of a progressive guy then I am a metal guy but I grew up on metal so don't get me wrong I love it all!

Brandon