Hey new guys, come in this thread!

How do I shot web-- I mean go about mixing?

I've been recording and mixing for about a year now, but I've learned pretty much just by trial and error, and I still have trouble getting clear, yet thick mixes (I do alot of layering and ambience and stuff).

Any advice on how to go about mixing stuff? I have a very basic setup (agile 8-string, no name bass, SSD and cubase).

How do I shot web-- I mean go about mixing?

I've been recording and mixing for about a year now, but I've learned pretty much just by trial and error, and I still have trouble getting clear, yet thick mixes (I do alot of layering and ambience and stuff).

Any advice on how to go about mixing stuff? I have a very basic setup (agile 8-string, no name bass, SSD and cubase).

Oh come on dude this isn't even a question! "how do I mix good" is waaayy to generic and is totally a matter of opinion. Everyone will tell you a different way to mix, plus you ask about mixing and list your guitars and basses? Then are you also needing help on properly tracking?

Anyways, try checking out Anssi's approach to mixing, it seems to have helped many people around here http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/8065710-post6.html

im not sure is this asked somewhere else but anyway...drum quantizing,if you had room mic does it have to quantize that room mic track or will it souded just bad...i never tested it my self cos i just buyed large diagram mic so this question comes to my mind

Group all your drum tracks before engaging elastic audio/equivalent. Once the major transients such as snares and rolls are lined up you can remove some warp markers from the cymbals to remove artifacts from stretching.

How do you go about editing DI's for guitars? in terms of workflow, i was using this "free warp tool" from cubase.... actually sounded good enough but i've never seen a single person use that so... and oh, BTW, while bitching about my tone, when editing the guitar, everything sounded cleaner, and fatter. Just a recent observation, preety obvious for some, maybe.

here's my question : i have just started learning this mixing and stuff like this... i just want to ask that after you processed your tracks, where do they peak?
i mean the guitars kick snare... etc.

here's my question : i have just started learning this mixing and stuff like this... i just want to ask that after you processed your tracks, where do they peak?
i mean the guitars kick snare... etc.

Doesn't matter. Whether a kick peaks at -12, -6, -2, etc doesn't matter. As long as it sounds good, it is good.

If you want to faff about with numbers open a spreadsheet ;)

i asked this becouse i always feel if the drums are great, they bury the guitars, if the guitars are at a good level, they bury the drums :/

i asked this becouse i always feel if the drums are great, they bury the guitars, if the guitars are at a good level, they bury the drums :/

That has to do with your mixing. There are probably clashing frequencies which is making you want to turn the others up to compensate.

nice thread,
my question: how important are cables and what cables do u use? Is there any alternative for overpriced "monster cables"?

You can edit guitars via slip editing by hand, or even in Melodyne if the guitar was played well enough.

Never thought using melodyne was a chance for guitars! nice one, i own an old version but should be good enough, slip editing is a bit of a mistery for me i always get tiny artifacts :( i started using that thing in cubase "audio warp" i thing it is, didn't test it in terms of intonation and precision just on fast stuff, would you make some tiny intonation corrections in melodyne for the guitars? i'll definately give that a try, my tracks sound so damn raw...

nice thread,
my question: how important are cables and what cables do u use? Is there any alternative for overpriced "monster cables"?

As long as it's decent quality cables and connectors you're fine (I like Klotz LA Grange and Neutrik) At the end of the day if you can't measure a difference between cables then there isn't a difference. Pay enough to get a cable that's well made and wont break.

Don't buy into the snake oil bullshit that cable companies say to make you buy their overpriced crap.

There was a blind test between a coathanger and a monster cable, people couldn't tell the difference. I think that says it all.

That has to do with your mixing. There are probably clashing frequencies which is making you want to turn the others up to compensate.

Bullseye.

nice thread,

Good connectors that wont break are the most important thing, as mentioned.

would you make some tiny intonation corrections in melodyne for the guitars? i'll definately give that a try, my tracks sound so damn raw...

There are no rules; if it sounds good, it is good.

I don't allow guitarists to walk out of here with any out of tune guitars. I'm a tuning Nazi, and damn proud of it. If the guitarists can't play super well, you're going to have to do things riff by riff and quantize. Get used to it.

Wow, a decent topic for the nabs like me :p I've got couple of questions for you buddy..Here they come..

1- This is my latest project..As i dont have any reference monitors and use an AKG K55 headphone, i'm also using a plug-in called "112dB Redline Monitor", which gives a depthness and stereo image unto my recordings..BUT, when i apply it into any record, it sound kinda weird in most sound systems, but sounds very perfect in ear/headphones..When i dont apply it, it sounds crap in headphones, but sounds good in any other sound systems..Here are the with and without versions of the same song..Can you tell me, which one is better and why? Everything is same in both tracks, i just bypassed the vst ;)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7305927/with redline.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7305927/without redline.mp3

2- I'm making my guitar tracks like this: open an FX Channel in Nuendo-> press F4 and go fx-channel options-> right click and "separate into mono tracks"-> create two audio tracks and name them "right" and "left"-> route their outputs into this fx-channels separate right/left channels-> insert POD Farm and other dynamic things as fx -> Voila, two tracks bound in one common track, a system-friendly solution..

YET, i'm questioning myself, if i'm doing right with this..As u may hear, the track "without redline" sounds "scattered", u know, on the contrast, "with the redline" sounds more "tidy".. Without this plugin, how can i make it sound "tidy"? Most probably, u have way better headphones and speakers than mine and you can easily tell me what is/are wrong with these tracks..Also they sound kinda "weak", which frequencies should be boosted to make it stronger?

Waiting for your answers man, see ya..

^ That redline monitor thing should be activated when you mix with headphones and deactivated for rendering and mixing with monitors. It's made to simulate the stereo image of nearfield monitors while you're mixing with headphones.

However, it is not recommended to mix with headphones.

^ That redline monitor thing should be activated when you mix with headphones and deactivated for rendering and mixing with monitors. It's made to simulate the stereo image of nearfield monitors while you're mixing with headphones.

However, it is not recommended to mix with headphones.

i know that man, but even if i'd use monitors, my raw record data going to stay same..i mean..bah, my english ends up here, i think i cant explain what i exactly want to mean :cry:

for example; i'm presuming that u've listened both records and i say, even if i'd use couple of monitors, "theoritically" i'd not get a "centered" sound like "with redline", right?

Any advice on mixing synths (violins, trumpets, choirs) with heavy guitars? I always got the feeling that i have lots of frequency's clashing with each other.

Do you have any tips or idea's on how to approach something like this?