HH bleed in a top snare track

A.D.I.

New Metal Member
Dec 22, 2008
Chambéry, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
Hi all,

A band recorded their album themselves and ask me to mix it. I've got a big problem on the top snare track. There's a lot of HH & OH & ride bleeds. I tried to gate / expand with no results. Songs alternates slow parts & blast beat & this is a problem to gate it. Have you already got this problem ? How did you do to solve it ? If you got some ideas you welcome...

Thank you

duplicate the snare track and dice it up so that one is only harder hits and the other is softer hits. put two different gates with different thresholds on each. this is also the best way to trigger a snare track (according to steven slate), a gog on one track for harder hits and a separate snare track with gog for ghost notes etc.

Thanks guys,

I will try all these solutions, but I think I'll must trigger it because the bleed is too bad already... I tried with a simple gate and it doesn't work... All hits are cuted too hard when there is cymbal hits at the same time. I hope I will find some cool hits to make a gog with...
Maybe I could post a sample on friday to show you the damage on the track...

Yep, making a new trigger track would be the best course of action- Gating if the bleed is as bad as you're making out is bound to make a few of the hits sound really strange, plus this way you can find a sweet sample and improve the drum sound, if the bleed is that bad and the band tracked it themselves it mightn't sound the greatest in the first place