HH's bleeding on Oh's

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
What do you do to avoid the hi-hats bleeding on Oh's?
My problem is that during the mixing process, when I lower the HH track there are not too much changes because there is lot of bleeding into the 2 oh's.
If there are parts where only the hh is played, I avoid the problem with oh's automation but it remains a problem with complicated parts.
One of the solution I thought is to point the OH's mics to the external part of the cymbals (I mean: pointing straight down, but looking from the top of the drumkit, more on the front of the drumkit than on the snare side)...

Don't know if I have explained very well..so I post a picture

Blu is the mic placement I used in my last project (lot of bleeds)
Red is my new idea for the next project

What do you think? Did you have the same problem? How do you avoid it?

l_059c5780a74f40daaab7a6b885b4a639.jpg

;)

well its too much at times.. depends on the player mostly.. and the kind of hihats..
I once tried different hihats, woooooorld of difference! one pierced through everything in the mix (the wrong way) and the other was there but way ofter sounding..
And that was the guys secondchoice! :S

I really really really really want to make that hi-hat gobo!!! Got any other pics of it, JB?

Tried lowering the OH mics and using 2 spaced pairs or a Left/Center/Right configuration and micing closer to the cymbals themselves?

Last time I place them at 30-40cm from the crashes..pretty close I think.
They pointed away from the snare but they were more "over" the drumkit than over the cymbals themselves (as I explained in the picture I posted).
Do you think that placing them to the external part of the drumkit or pointing more to the front of the drums could solve my problem?

if some1 comes with a loud hihat, i ask him to take mine i dont like if its uncontroled except we wanna do some garage trash stuiff.

in the mix i use the oh signal mostly for hihat, but i always record the hh to have it for verses where he plays it closed for example. than i give it in to have a direct hihat.

kalony

I get this problem quite a lot, and almost always the trick is with getting the drummer to play their hi-hats with a little less vigor. Otherwise try putting a piece of tape across it long ways to deaden it a little.

I always mic up the hi-hat, even though there's usually plenty in the OH's by getting a close sound you get far more articulation that you'll get in the overheads. Capture every nuance, even when you mix it in well under the level of the OH, you'll get a much more solid sound.