HI HAT set up (help me drummers!)

Ecto

Aug 10, 2002
Hi people...

I'm starting to play drums and, of course, I have to take lessons and stuff. But at this moment I don't have enough time for this and, up to now, I can't understand how to set up the hi hat, I mean, I don't know how to use the pedal. The only sound I know how to do is when I set the two cymbals together, one "glued" to the another (and in this position we can't use the pedal).

Can you give me some advice? How to play with the cymbals when they're separated using the pedal?

thanks!

first of all i'd just like to say that i'm no expert on this but i'll share what i believe i know on the subject :)

umm... what? if you're asking for actual hand technique tips, i can't help you... although from what i've seen our drummer just blags 'em in the same way, no matter if they're open or closed :)

if you mean, how do you use the pedal, well you loosen the screw on the upper half of the assembly, then press the pedal slightly (experiment to find out how much, probably different amounts for different sounds) and tighten the screw. press the pedal to close, lift foot to open.

then just listen to records and note how other players use it. experiment. enjoy. make your bandmates gringe when you manage to turn every metal song into a polka parody by overusing the open setting ;-)

are you playing double kick? if not i would suggest you try to get a d/kick pedal setup now coz its hard to learn later on. anyway if you use d/kick then its probably best if you dont have the hi hats to far open or they will sound shit when you are busy with the kicks.