drummers thread

Matt

Dec 10, 2005
Saint Louis
hi all , I thought Id start a drummers thread, since all we ever hear about here is guitars :erk:
I have a sonar 15 piece force 3005 with evans heads.
2 22 by 20 base drums, 1 18 by 18
5 rack toms, 5 floor toms, custom pearl snare and basic sonar sanre

6 total sabian cymbals, 2 crashs, custom hi-hat, 3 medium rides

DW double bass pedal chain driven.

do most of you use double pedals, or what?

ehh..I have a traditional 5 piece set...assorted heads....crash, ride-crash, 2 splashes....

I am about to buy new cymbals and a double pedal..

Montu Sekhmet said:
do most of you use double pedals, or what?

No, I've never used double pedal before. Well, I don't have one. Recently I bought a Roland TD12, so I can start using double pedal, but generally no. My acoustic set is a 5 piece Pearl (export) + 10" splash, 14" crash, 20" ride, 18" China.

And yes, there are an awfull lot a guitarists here and no drummers =P

Kenneth R. said:
Especially when us guitarists need drummers for bands!

Haha, true. "Be a drummer, they get more work" xP

Owh and:

d71a3459.jpg

My old drum teacher sent that to me :worship:

DuxTer said:
And yes, there are an awfull lot a guitarists here and no drummers =P

Yeah I hate that. Ive been practiceing recently on trivium and mostodon, because they have the twirling fast feet that im trying to capture.

love the drummers make better lovers sign! Funny, yet so true...

Montu Sekhmet said:
Ive been practiceing recently on trivium and mostodon, because they have the twirling fast feet that im trying to capture.

Hope you nail it :) .. I'm focusing on broken 16th patterns on the hihat at the moment. I'm leaving my bassdrum very simple because of that though. Need some practise doing it together. Do you play with a clicktrack?

This may not be the most metal thing ever, but do any original drummers here incorporate the hip-hop syncopation and hit-hats with the speed, power, and raw power of metal...plus the uniformity of pop rock..??

I happen to be absolutely terrible at drums. I have extreme difficulty multi tasking... however I've recorded my double bass blastbeat at over 300 BPM single footed. Whenever I'm playing drums or just fucking around, I just play Ageless Still I Am by Morbid Angel and see if I can go as fast as Petes feet and throw in my own fills.

And yes, I'm a staunch believe in the one footed pedal. I like the sound much better. Two footed sounds draggy.

ChildrenofSodom said:
This may not be the most metal thing ever, but do any original drummers here incorporate the hip-hop syncopation and hit-hats with the speed, power, and raw power of metal...plus the uniformity of pop rock..??

somtimes, yeah I think its good to practice with some the speed hip-hop stuff. It is difficult for me as I dont like that kind of music but I do it anyway.

do any of you guys play to dreamtheater or symphonyx? they have ridiculus times,like 13/7.

The_Harmathroditic_Ferret said:
No Portnoy is way too good for me. That guy has a monster set up so big, he needs TWO chairs... TWO CHAIRS. When he does drum solo's I've literally seen him just jump from one chair to the next midway, it's fucking sick.

I love, no, worship Portnoy .. I love his style and I try to throw some of it into mine. His "Siamese Monster" really amazes me.. I'd love to play that kit once. I envy that Japanese dude who got to play with him on their Japan tour in 2004, it was on the "Live At Budokan" bonus material DVD ):

Hve you seen terry bozio's kit? It huge! i would post a pic but I cant seem too.

I saw him live on his solo tour through Europe in 2003. Really, really, really awesome. A 2 hour show, only drums. I still regret not having any paper autograph )':

Well not really combine it, but for example I love to play jazz or blues as well. As I drummer you should be open to different styles, to broaden your knowledge ;)

do any of you guys play to dreamtheater or symphonyx? they have ridiculus times,like 13/7.

I love, love, love Dream Theater and Symphony X. I don't really play along to them, but I listen to them a lot and sometimes I try to pick up some of the drumparts by ear and put bits of it into my play.. and yeah.. they have some weird times..

Ah, does anyone know Carter Beauford? He's the drummer of the "Dave Matthews Band." Amazing drummer, although pop, he is really, really good. You should check out their song "Tripping Billies" :)

I have heard tripping billies, OK song. I really wanted to see Bozio but didnt have the cash....

Portnoys kit is my dream kit. The big boomin bass... god almighty! Rullo for symx is another god.

I'm trying moron! move to england and learn rhythm for me :D

my fav pro drummer (since this thread's pretty much become that) is Zonder of Fates Warning, at least at the moment

Yeah? I heard that he was pretty good, never heard his stuff though.......my fav is a combo between portnow, rullo, and bozio.

Speaking of Portnoy and strange time signatures. I'm watching bit of his Liquid Drum Theater DVD. He's explaining a 'jungle feel fill'-thing from one of their songs. One bar is in 4/4 next one in 5/4 then back to 4/4 and then to 7/4 or something like that x''D