Drummers Thread

Flal

Flal
Oct 2, 2004
Ontario, Canada (eh)
Hey Guys,

Seeing as there is a guitar thread, why not make one for drummers?
Give your set up and influences and if you have any questions post them here!

My Set Up:

Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage (NOT nouveau) Purple Fade:
5x14 Yamaha Snare (the stock one that came with the kit)
9x10 Rack Tom
10x12 Rack tom
13x14 Floor Tom
17x22 Bass Drum

All Rack toms have Evans G2 Genera heads and G1 Resonance Heads. Bass drum has a Evans EQ1 with muffle ring. Snare skin is an Evans Dry Snare with a Snare Resonant on the bottom.

Sabian Cymbals:
13" Paragon Hats
16" Evolution Crash
18" Evolution Crash
18" AAX Chinese
21" AA Dry Ride with Raw Bell

Ufip Cymbals:
12" Class High Hat top as Splash

All Yamaha Hardware and Pedals (although I'm hoping to get a second bass drum and some axis ALs by the end of the month).

Favorite Drummers: Witek (R.I.P), Tony Royster Jr. (now), George Kollias, Conny Peterson, Axe, Neil Peart

Dude, that was awesome!! Very cool sounding drums.

I'm a guitarist mainly but I can play drums so I'll be reading this thread if anything ever happens in here.

I'm a guitar player, I only play a few beats drums when I visit my brother. I'm just able to play some standard things and I know how to read drum notes lol.

And I'm very interested in good drumming.

My favorite drummers are:
- Dave Weckl
- Derek Roddy
- The Adler guy from Lamb Of God
- Tim Yeung (although I don't know how good he plays without triggers)
- KC Howard
- my old Drummer Max Dederichs (he's a beast)

Drummin' is kewl!

The only cool drummers that stick out too me is Hannes Grossman and Kai Hahto.

@flal
nice recording

looks like we the guitar players will have to help to keep this thread alive as no one else will just like the keyboard player and the bass player threads.

i wish i could play every time i approach drums my mind gets blocked
i can write any drumsi want i can sing/say/imitate when it comes to describing to my drummer what do i want
but it doesn't work to play it my self :(

This is why I want to learn the drums, it's like everyone plays the guitar now :p
I might buy my friends drum kit off him...it's a crappy one but it'll get me started.

I like drums...even tho i play guitar...this is one of my favorite drummers

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_3PtohTkVs&feature=related[/ame]

Jesus.....so clean. Yeah Roddy is one of my favs too....forgot to mention that =) My friends rag on him that he looks too "forced" and that he's not creative, but I think he's fantastic. The problem is, the only band he really stuck with was Hate Eternal, which a lot of people aren't a fan of. But really, he did as much as he could with that music. It's the same with Romain Goulon from Disavowed: the music is good, but not really creative, although he's a really creative a super technical drummer.

Derek Roddy is one of the best drummers in terms of skill but he seriously needs to learn what a drum beat is. I know he plays death metal but when there's a drum fill in every bar, it makes it hard to listen to without getting pissed off.

This is why I think Chris Adler is one of the better drummers, because he knows how to play, and how to drum to a song.

Basic enough for you? This vid contains different stuff.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMyrJgQymLA&feature=related[/ame]

Seriously, Derek is a versatile player, he plays nearly all styles. People probably just know his DM recordings.

Chris Adler is awesome though. He plays very difficult stuff which doesn't sound that difficult at first. Because he gives the songs what they need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I r in teh Band!
caveman.jpg

Derek Roddy is one of the best drummers in terms of skill but he seriously needs to learn what a drum beat is. I know he plays death metal but when there's a drum fill in every bar, it makes it hard to listen to without getting pissed off.

This is why I think Chris Adler is one of the better drummers, because he knows how to play, and how to drum to a song.

If you seriously search for derrek rody stuff you can find him playing ANYTHING! Simple, complicated, fast, slow, latin, fusion, gospel, death metal....you name it, he can do it! He looks a little more forced than other drummers but he sounds just fine. It might just be his technique that looks a little awkward.

And then you have:

Got some drumming vids on youtube. tell me what you think! (you can;t hear the bass drum and the guitar sucks but you get the drift):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkC8RC3t6rU&feature=user[/ame]

good playing but boring. i am not a drummer and can't play even 10th of what you can, so don't take it personal.
my impression is that you are tensed, you stick to one pattern of constant double bass which is great but gets boring to hear in every riff,
when i write drums for my projects i usually turn off my guitar/bass player brain and try to think in rhythm, i try to fallow the groove to analyze what kind of rhythm i hear from guitars and accent it with drum line it doesn't always turn out to be complex some times its indeed enough something simple and some times it turns complicated and even progressive.
what ever it takes to make it sound interesting and groovy drums are not just metronome, they have huge contribution of how the song or part sounds like.
try to not think about time signature or your playing and focus on guitars, try to imitate guitar line on drums in rhythmical way.

and again don't take it personal i am just sharing my opinion. you have asked for it your self :)

it wasn't his own band? crap! :lol:
well either way this songs have alot of space for creative playing anyway