Hi-Hats

What you guys doing to make your Hi-Hats washy and airy? And what comp/clipping ricks do you guys use?
Ive searched this forum for Hi-Hat stuff, but it seems to be very neglected.
I got a great cymbal mix going, but when the hi-hat comes in its plain.
Cymbals are very room mic, but Hi-hat is more direct mic (if you know what i mean) so any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Add it to a bus with reverb on? Send the oh's to same one to replicate being
In the same room? That MIGHT solve it but I'm not sure how
You have your oh's processed

That most likely is the reason for it.

I'm sure its a big part of the problem, but what I'm looking for, is ways to process hi-hats (samples in this case) like comp, parallel comp, limiting. EQ hi-hats I have no prob with, just how to make em more airy rather than clunky (their SSD hi-hats - not my fav to be honest)
I've got Joeys samples, but need to still upgrade to Kontakt 4 for em to work (I presume his hi-hats are better) but I'm looking for tips on SSD Hi-hat in this case.

I'm sure its a big part of the problem, but what I'm looking for, is ways to process hi-hats (samples in this case) like comp, parallel comp, limiting. EQ hi-hats I have no prob with, just how to make em more airy rather than clunky (their SSD hi-hats - not my fav to be honest)
I've got Joeys samples, but need to still upgrade to Kontakt 4 for em to work (I presume his hi-hats are better) but I'm looking for tips on SSD Hi-hat in this case.

EQ'ing the hihats by boosting higher freqencies and reducing the mids might give you the nessecery air that you're looking for, along with a tiny bit of reverb. And just so I'm not mistaken, if you get Joeys samples then you wouldn't be able to use them in a major production right?

That statement just makes no fucking sense. People buy them so that they can actually use them.

What I'm meaning to ask is if its ok to use sturgis' samples on a recording that would be for a band who is publishing that recording on a record released by a label.. Just wondering if copyright infringement is involved here.

joeysturgis.com said:
All samples are a work of art created by Joey Sturgis.
You may not sell these samples as a work of your own.
You may use these samples in a music, video, or film production.
You may not sell these samples (as a whole, or in part) within other libraries, sample sets, or products of any kind.

Taken from the website :)

"You may not sell these samples (as a whole, or in part) within other libraries, sample sets, or products of any kind." I thought that statement included recordings.. MY BAD.

Hey Seth in regards to your reverb on overheads comment. Its very dependent on where the drums are tracked, my drum room is really quite dead and a little bit of a bricasti M7 room can sound really nice to just give the overheads a little life. Nothing really washy, just a bit of color.

Hey Seth in regards to your reverb on overheads comment. Its very dependent on where the drums are tracked, my drum room is really quite dead and a little bit of a bricasti M7 room can sound really nice to just give the overheads a little life. Nothing really washy, just a bit of color.

its all about how you comp your OHs. I still would not advise verbing the OHs.
If your room isnt the best, at least get an IR of someones drum room that is nice. That would def sound better than Verb (IMO and IME)

EDIT: I should have read your post a bit better. but ya, you understand what I was getting at