High gain head shoot-out!

I was able to tell that clip #1 was the Marshall due to the squishiness in the low end! That's something I love about their tones. It also helps that I own the amp and could recognize the character. The other tones I had no idea.

The peavey is my main amp, so that was my first guess.

A former bandmate had the jvm and i hated it, so that why i guessed on the muffled sound of that one.

The engl has 88`s if im not mistaken and i had a VHT sig:zipit: with those tubes once and remembered the openess and smoothness.

I was ready to be wrong, but hey, i was right, thats how it goes, i was guessing after all.

That's really interesting, I'd never guess a JVM to sound like that based on my experiences with it but go figure. I'd say the same about the Savage, too. Maybe I need to revisit (or not revisit, as it were) both of these amps. :lol:

Don't write off the Savage man! I fucking hate Engls, I've tried the Powerball, couldn't stand it. I sold a 1960A 4x12 to some kid a few months back, and he bought his Engl Fireball to come try it out with. If I ever hear another one of those in my presence I will fuck the owner with their own dick. I tried an Invader and that was actually really quite nice, but not sure how it'd take a mic.

The Savage is a different beast. It's the most un-Engl Engl in their whole backline besides maybe the Blackmore. It's still got that uber tightness about it, as if it's got a tubescreamer permanently engaged, but it's still way more "3D" than anything else I've heard out of an Engl, and way more versatile.

The JVM varies a fair bit depending on which mode you track it on. There are essentially 4 entirely usable high-gain modes, OD1/2 Orange/Red. The Orange modes tend to leave the mids intact, as well as the transient punch. The OD modes alter the center frequency of the mid knob, it goes from a traditional Marshall sound on OD1 to a more modern scoopy deal on OD2.

That being said, next to the 6505 and 6505+ the JVM is the most used amp in the studio for me. I think it's amazing.

That's good to know man. Unfortunately this one is just a loaner but I'd love to grab one.

FWIW, I think I had this on OD2 on orange when doing this clip. I didn't go anywhere near the red channels because they are sheer insanity :lol:

Ah okay. Seen the results now... yeah I thought the 1st was the JVM due to the pretty full on low-end. Those amps really pump out the lows, and if you want to get that classic cranked 800 tone from a JVM, you have to have the resonance at zero.

I fucked up the other two I guess, but they sounded really similar to me!

Funny how much these things vary. One of my colleagues here has a Savage that just sucks. It just sounds bad in every way I could define a tone. My Blackmore eats it in straight shoot outs. But you never really know whether you're hearing a prime specimen of the amp. I was lucky in regard to the JVM to get a fairly top notch sounding piece, and now after its retube it's stronger than ever.

Yeah I guess I'm basing my love for the Savage on this Savage alone, but saying that I have heard some seriously badass albums done with them lately! Exodus and Dying Fetus come to mind. Both Savage IIRC, and both very very cutting and brutal tones.