Historical Basis of Lyrics

High On Maiden said:
A lot of popular lyrical themes seem to revolve around historical concepts, and I suppose in metal a favourite focus is a medievalistic approach, either overtly or just in the musical approach. But how seriously do you think bands have actually bothered to consider the historical messages behind their lyrics.

For example, a somewhat worn out theme is the idea of paganism oppressed by Christianity, and (particularly) Scandinavian resistance to Christianisation, manifested most infamously in church burnings carried out, supposedly, in some act of 'veangeance'. But I just sometimes wonder how much bands bother looking in to history and how much they are tapping into an easily graspable concept of Christian oppression over unwilling pagans.

It could be argued for example that many pagan peoples weren't particularly aversed to Christianity, and often used it as a political tool - this is something that seems to be overlooked by most emotive lyrical takes on the period.

So, do you think bands are sincere when featuring anti-Christian lyrics in a historical context, or do you think this is rather their own complaints and angsts in reaction to modern day Christianity, being played out in an imagined and not particularly well-researched vision of the past?[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to be trite, but it depends on the band.

Personally, of all the bands/personalities to be pushing this shtick, I have always considered those uttered by bands affiliated with Martin Walkyier (Sabbat, Skyclad) to be most sincere. The rest of them seem to have been motivated more by teenage angst than religious or historical concerns. This is borne out by the most recent interviews of the previous "church burners".

Int said:
This means he likes Slayer despite being able to understand more than about 5% of the lyrics, this is not because he is interested in lyrics and loves lyrics and Slayer writes his favourite lyrics you dolt.

Assuming your interpretation is correct, it still in no way compromises the fact that his initial statement was fucking stupid.

Teh Grimarse said:
Assuming your interpretation is correct, it still in no way compromises the fact that his initial statement was fucking stupid.

Dude, no reason to get excited. You are missing my point. Some other people apparently understood what I was saying, however, so i'm gonna drop it.

mike

K... my point is that if you just uniformly state that "I dont care about lyrics", it's basically, to me, like wearing a big sign around your neck that says "im a monkey with no taste".

thats all im saying.