Ho do you make them paid?

alex-sonic

Apr 5, 2013
Paris, France
Haha I know it's a fun question but with a friend we will be running our studio in France and we are disagree about how musicians pay so i'd like to know what work for you?

Do you make them pay by hour you record, or for a day or semi-day? Maybe for a song? An album?

BTW, Thanks for your help, I learned a lot from this forum and thanks to you i'll record my first real bands soon. Don't worry I record and mix before but it was at first for my band or for me or thanks to the practice mix you guys put on the forum! :worship: :worship: :worship:

recording per day, mixing per song. there is no way i will charge per project. If you have ever recorded crappy musicians (of course you have), you know why.

recording per day, mixing per song. there is no way i will charge per project. If you have ever recorded crappy musicians (of course you have), you know why.

Yes I know what you say about crappy musicians, as the guitariste wasn't so good we had to redo guitars in his back haha!
For the others musicians it was pretty okay

So thanks for your quick reply

I quote bands a per song rate based on one day of tracking and a fixed price for post work, but they're fully aware that the price quoted is based on an 8 hour day and if we go over time then they pay hourly, unless it's a band I really like then I might do an extra hour or two for free.

We'll get a room for recording drumming next, and as I always used plugins, can you tell me how much time your record for a song?
For exemple a metal song with each guitar doubled, bass and so real drums (without taking into account the settings of the mic of course)

From my experience of my last personnal project it takes me about 2h for guitars +1h for the bass + 2h for vocals so can we say a 8 hours day is okay to record one song? with 2-3hrs for drums (I know for real it won't be like that but it's to have an idea

I find out how many songs they are gonna record. If its 5 or less make them put a $500 deposit and subtract as they go. 6 songs or more then a $1000 deposit. if they run over their deposit make them put up more, whatever they didn't use up refund. That ensures you get paid.

How much does u guys charge per day in your studios? I emailed a studio in Sweden and they cost around 1000$ per day, and around 14000$ for an EP depending on how long it takes to finish. Any guesses on what studio it was? XD