Holly shit Neutrik NP3X connectors suck.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
They are seriously the most challenging shit I have ever had to solder to. I have to do 6. I have managed to do 3 in an hour. :erk:

On a good note though the first cable is plugged in and working great. :kickass:

I'll take a picture of the end so you guys can see what I'm working with. I highly recommend something else if you buy TRS cable ends.

Sorry if this is huge and blurry as fuck. Yes everything is that tiny.

noname.jpg

YES!!! THIS is what I was talking about in my thread about my monitors (as well as other threads) - so they're not all that bad? Cuz that was a fucking nightmare (though I did succeed in my efforts, but UGGHH what a headache)

Haha, that huge soldering gun doesn't make things easy ;) I use an iron with a fine tip, so far haven't had a hard time doing any connectors. Even used it on some SMD LEDs (tiny as FUCK) when I replaced the horrible orange ones on my Tundra's gauges to white. Muuuuch better and the iron made a huge difference.

~006

Stick with the classic standard issue Neutrik/Switchcraft and you're golden. I just don't understand who could have designed these and thought "This is so much easier to solder than the old ones!" I tend to think they just make different designs and moldings to generate money: XLR Conspiracy.

The standard XLR connectors that I ordered went together in under 12 mins each. The only problem I had was letting them cool long enough.

Yeah but fuck those TRS plugs. I've done cables before and never used those before.

These are for my monitor chain though so I was all like "lets get more expensive plugs!".

Stupid idea.

On a side note mogami is great shit.

Ah yeah, holding things can be difficult. Need to get yourself a helping hand :)

~006

Yeah I had:

2 kinds of wire strippers.
1 Pair of fine tip needle nose pliers (vise grip pliers would have been a lot better)
1 Pair of regular pliers
1 utility knife with new blade
1 45w soldering gun with huge as fuck tip :)lol:)
1 25w soldering pen with perfect tip that didn't get things hot enough. :erk:

I almost ran out to Wal Mart at 2am I was getting so pissed. Anyhow all wires are done, look good and run great!

I can't see the pic at work, but are those the connectors with the little "cups" that in no way can hold the wire before being soldered? Yeah, those can be a bit of a pain.

You should pick up an iron with controllable temp. I have the Hakko 936 and it works great! I built an entire amp with it and didn't have to change the tip. It gets nice and hot for those tough areas too.

Also, those helping hands with two gator clips and magnifying glass are pretty convenient. I'm sure there are different types out there.

-Joe

Put a little solder in the cup before trying to solder the wire in.

Just a tiny bit, the put the wire on top, heat the wire, feed n the solder and bobs your uncle

Also, did you remember to tin your iron tip before going to work on the connectors? This might be why your solder wouldn't melt with the 25w iron.

It has helped me greatly in the past to put a tiny dab of solder on the iron tip before working. It transfers heat much, much better.

-Joe

I bought a brand new 25W soldering pen from Radio Shack. It did not get hot enough to do anything. I threw that piece of shit away. Maybe some homeless woman can use it as a curling iron or burrito warmer.

However, I have a super old-ass 25W Weller soldering pen that was my grandfather's and it still works great. Old shit is cool.

Go figure.