"homemade" speaker-mic like the yamaha sub kick??

Oct 1, 2005
italy
ingraved.bandcamp.com
since the first time i heard about a woofer being used as a kick mic was not from yamaha :Smug: , but from a friend who had seen a band using it in a live show (it was an italian noise-rock band, not sure if one dimensional man or the yuppie flu or whoever else), i wonder how this solution can be replicated in diy style
what do i exactly need besides the speaker, and how would i set the whole thing? (wiring, etc)

thanks a lot!

andrea

its actually easy to do as far as I'm aware, just put an xlr connection on there, not sure if you need to bridge pins 1 and 3, have an experiment. I heard 8" works the best, but this may be because people used to use NS10's. The hardest thing is making a mount so you can get the speaker in the right place.

Works like a charm, though you have to sometimes mess around with different speakers to get a good sound. I've had the most success with an NS-10 woofer. That, combined with a D112 and a U87 or other LDC a few feet in a tunnel away from the kick, gives the sickest kick sound I've ever heard.

definitely been tried...

wow that looks cool:

ns10kiks.jpg

i take it, this also records the sound of the kick then? so you have two tracks of kick??

Yeah all we're doing here is turning a speaker into a mic. I record it to a separate track, along with a D112, D6, M88, or whatever inside mic I'm using, as well as another track for the LDC a few feet back in a tunnel. So all in all, three mic tracks for the kick drum, plus another couple for samples.

The sound samples from that forum page seem rather indistinct. I mean, I can totally see how that would add to the kick sound froma regular mic, but how different is building a speaker from, say, plugging just a cab into a mixer?

*wish I had a cab to try it on*

On another note, I remember plugging crappy microphones into the headphone jacks of my parents stereo when I was a kid. o_O

I'm retarded with building anything, but the mount/stand only took me an hour or so to build, and it has yet to break or come loose(after almost a year of use).