Kick Trigger Users, Whats the deal

raisedfist

Aug 31, 2007
Surrey, UK
landsuk.bandcamp.com
So I've sacked off my live laptop setup as the processor is getting tired and unreliable so I'm moving about to a Roland Spd-sx for backing tracks and SFX and this also means one unit instead of latop, alesis trigger and interface in a massive gator bag.

So I'm looking at the Roland kick triggers as they seem solid and will work staight of the bat into the SPD. I have had some bad times with DDrum triggers as the external wiring always seems to go but are they still the goto? Some of you guys use this stuff everyday so I'm interested to hear what you think are the best as there are so many to chose from.

Now my second question...
Teched for a mates band the other night and they run a rackmount PC with kick trigger, 3 tom triggers, l/r track and sub pad and although the SPD output routing is limited the guys seemed interested in my purchase as the current rackmount PC setup is kinda a bit of a brain ache and also seems to have a high threshold to go wrong.
So anyhow my question is there are 2 stereo jack inputs for ext triggers and you can assign a sound to each so 1/2 could be 1 - snr (ring) 2 -rim (tip).
So in theory you could run in 4 triggers with mono to stereo y splitter leads?
Or am I being a dumbass?

Sorry for the Essay. Should be here 2moz so excited.
Any help welcome, thanks :loco:

*not trying to name drop just offering advice* My friend Lyle Cooper plays drums for the Faceless. He used to use the DDrum Pro triggers on his kicks and they would never last. He switched to the Roland ones and they have lasted through multiple tours so far, and a handful of recordings, with no worn out or broken parts, still working like new. He says they respond better than the DDrums as well. I used to have the DDrum pro triggers myself and sold them after working with the Roland ones on Lyle's kit. Hope this helps somewhat...

Not sure about your 2nd question.

I use Axis eKits on my Longboards and they are by far the best I've used. Absolutely zero misstriggers since I've put them on there and they're built into your pedal, so you really don't even need to have them attached to the bass drum to use them :p

Obviously though, if you don't have Axis pedals, the price is going to be pretty steep. I will say though, the Ddrum ones have a good design, but they're built like complete shit. I had a 5 piece set of them for 2 weeks (brand new) and 3 of them broke by then. They're not difficult to fix, mind you, but it's a pain that you have to fix them in the first place.

*not trying to name drop just offering advice* My friend Lyle Cooper plays drums for the Faceless. He used to use the DDrum Pro triggers on his kicks and they would never last. He switched to the Roland ones and they have lasted through multiple tours so far, and a handful of recordings, with no worn out or broken parts, still working like new. He says they respond better than the DDrums as well. I used to have the DDrum pro triggers myself and sold them after working with the Roland ones on Lyle's kit. Hope this helps somewhat...

Not sure about your 2nd question.

Thanks man, I'll look into the Roland ones! Seems like a no brainer as you can select all the roland stuff so I'm on this!

Roland Triggers are happening!
Bought the SPD SX and its fucking awesome. So much stuff it can do. Loaded all the samples onto the unit in 20 minutes and its good to go.
Has some really well thought out features routing wise for the outputs and the way you can run the unit.

I use Axis eKits on my Longboards and they are by far the best I've used. Absolutely zero misstriggers since I've put them on there and they're built into your pedal, so you really don't even need to have them attached to the bass drum to use them :p

Obviously though, if you don't have Axis pedals, the price is going to be pretty steep. I will say though, the Ddrum ones have a good design, but they're built like complete shit. I had a 5 piece set of them for 2 weeks (brand new) and 3 of them broke by then. They're not difficult to fix, mind you, but it's a pain that you have to fix them in the first place.

Yep, Lyle had those too on his Axis longboards... until they broke. So many drummers I have recorded with those and they are either broke, or bent/worn out and if you try to fix it they break or just never work the same as they should. They are awesome for a while, though.

Yep, Lyle had those too on his Axis longboards... until they broke. So many drummers I have recorded with those and they are either broke, or bent/worn out and if you try to fix it they break or just never work the same as they should. They are awesome for a while, though.

Yeah, they have a design flaw that requires you to check them every once and a while. It's easy to just check and readjust them before playing after heavy use. Most people don't install them correctly, and if that's the case, they can actually break the pedal. Luckily, Axis is great and will usually send out replacement parts free of charge.