Hooked?

What's wrong with letting kids listen to Megadeth? As long as parents are there to give their kids context, it's not like they're going to go shoot up some heroin and have unprotected sex with tranny hookers.

I'm guessing you're not a parent. You can't explain adult lyrical content and context to a 4 year old.

Wake up dead, you die,
Wake up dead, and buried,
Wake up dead, you die,
Wake up dead.

:lol:

At what age in your life did you listen to metal and said WOW now thats the music i want to listen to:kickass: ie, a band or song.

Mine was 1983 def leppard pyromania, iron maiden piece of mind and Micheal schenkers built do destroy ( a vintage year):headbang:

when i bought my first skateboarding game, no one i knew listened to metal and i bought mtv skateboarding, had sugar by system of a down on it, and that pile of nu-metal wank lead me down the dark and winding path that is metal!

If anyone remembers the poster out of Alice Coopers Killer album ?

Well it was him hanging by a noose, with his dark eye makeup, you know the Alice Cooper thing

I hung it up on the wall, I was... just guessing 13/14 years old

I came home from school and it was GONE!

When I inquired at diner time as to what had happened to it I was told something along the lines of - Dad: "Im not having that garbage hanging in my house", then he further inquired as to "what was the message was the guy was trying to relate." I didnt really have an answer for him, I didnt feel like explaing how most of the album was about being a hitman and that was the end consequence. But hey, it was the 70's and with all the sociol termoil during those late 60's into the 70's had that generation scared to death as to what was going to become of "us", long hair, this new harsh music, drugs, ect. ect. ect.

He had no problem with my Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd posters, he even helped me build four speaker cabinets to hang in the corners of my room, bought my guitar amp, stuff like that, but still he and the rest of that entire WWII generation was highly concerned. When I became a parent I suddenly fully understood.

When my daughter wanted to buy that first Godsmack album with the girl with the studs all over her face on the cover, I was a bit "scart" but figured what the hell shes smarter than that. So I bought it for her, then I got home and we listened while I read the lyrics and they bent me the wrong way. Seemed like they were like this dude blaming everybody around him for his being a looser, she was probably 10 at the most then, it was nearly 10 years ago. I explained what was wrong with the attitude behind the lyrics and that the CD had to go. In retrospect I regret it now, she just liked the music and was not on that path. Wouldnt have mattered anyhow, so much of music during that period was, anti parents, anti rules, "we dont have to do anything you say", "we dont have to listen to you", "we want to punch somebody in the head", everything is everybody elses fault.

She just liked the music and wanted to listen to it, she didnt want to dye her hair orange, poke her face full of holes or punch someone in the head..... but still as a parent I was concerned as to where the line was for what was acceptable and what was not. She was my little girl and I loved her with all my heart but I had to make a judgement call.... be it right or be it wrong, it seemed right to me at the time.

When I got in my 30's I finally realized it wasnt easy being the father of my fathers son and he realized that myself and my friends all turned out alright and towed our share of the line. Then again my friends and I have all sat and talked about how we were... who, we were... due to our considerably stricter than todays upbringing.

Interesting topic. Haven't been here in a long time. I am a 51 year old woman who asked her sons to give her, for her 49th birthday, a compilation CD of some of the stuff they listen to and their prog metal band plays (they have been in a band since age 14). I'd get up in the night and hear it playing on their CD player and thought some of it was awesome. They included four SX trax, some Sonata Arctica, some Kamelot, some Angra, Everygrey, and a couple of forgettable others. SX KILLED me. I was addicted immediately. "Fallen" blew my mind, and I asked a few questions. I now have ALL the SX CD's (yes, even the first one), been to a concert (first concert of my life) of SX (met and talked to RA; OMG!), and have a SIGNED record store poster, signed by ALL band members, two-sided Paradise Lost one. NOT a concert poster, much larger. I got lucky on that one. Anyway, in high school while everyone else was loving Elton John and the Carpenters, I was getting into Rare Earth and Grand Funk Railroad, Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, Argent and Ten Years After and AC/DC. Not your mainstream stuff. Symphony X is my favorite band of all time. I am going to Atlanta again in May to see them, I and hope to talk to Russell again. I was too brain dead to think to ask for an autograph. I could barely hold my urine, I was so psyched to talk to the greatest vocalist that EVER LIVED, bar none. So THAT is how I got into metal. Metallica is the favorite of one of my sons and the other is into Dream Theater the most, I think. Oops, that's enough.........

:lol: a sister indeed, sounds like we were listening to nearly all the same stuff in the 70's. class of '75 ? meet the class of '76............. Hold Your Head Up and :headbang:

The year was 1992, and I was listening to a Mercyful Fate tape (IIRC, it was Don't Break the Oath). As a kid (from 5 to about 12 years old), I was into the shoegazer/post-punk/New Wave of British rock (if there ever was such a term--I'm just quoting from memory) movement (The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc), and a little of Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, and Guns n' Roses (yeah yeah yeah). I eventually caught on the tack of buying stuff like Obituary, Danzig (wtf?), Kreator and Morbid Angel--was about 14 years old then and hella impressionable. I thought that the cooler the album cover or the more Satanic imagery I see, the cooler the sound would be. The next few years taught me to listen to the music more closely, and yeah, this might raise a few eyebrows, but the record that taught me that was Dream Theater's Falling into Infinity, which I fist laid hands on in 1995. Stuck with progressive rock ever since and eventually got hooked into power metal with the advent of groups like Primal Fear and HammerFall. The rest, as the cliche goes, is history.

On that note, I "discovered" Symphony X in 2002.

It must've been at a very early age for me as i was born in 77 the same year KISS released Dynasty,absolutley loved them to the point that my parents would tease me about them and i can tell you i used to get very upset about this, much to there amusement,no self respecting young man wants anything to do with kissing at that age!!oh well the teasing continued until i was eventually turned onto bands like W.A.S.P.,Saxon ect. didnt even know about the term Metal at that stage(remember this was the eighties and it wasnt to uncommon to come across friends at school who were also into this music).It was'nt until bands like Morbid Angel,Deicide,Death ect came along that i knew that this music was for me.