Horrible day AHHHHH!!!! Long Post

K Odell

\=/Varnisher\=/
Jan 23, 2006
Greensboro, NC
So I get home today and get my towns daily newspaper and what is the front page article. Well its this.....(sorry its a lot)

"The Henry County Sheriff’s Office is searching for Michael Kevin Rakes of 847 Evergreen Drive, Spencer Va.

Arrest warrants have been issued for: Break and enter with the intent to commit robbery, Robbery, Abduction, and Malicious wounding.

According to a release, on Thursday, October 23rd at approximately 9:00 pm, Rakes forced his way in to a home in the Spencer area of Henry County. He then assaulted the 84 year old female, who was home alone. He bound her with tape. When the female thought Rakes had left, she was able to free herself. Rakes, who was still in the home, assaulted the female again and tied her with a shirt. Rakes stayed in the home for approximately three hours. He left with cash and personal property.

The female suffered cuts and bruises. She was treated for her injuries at Memorial Hospital of Martinsville and Henry County. The victim has been released from the hospital.

Rakes, is described as a white male, age 22. He is 5’ 10″ tall and weighs 145 lbs. Rakes was last seen wearing a dark blue or gray coverall type outfit. Anyone who may know the whereabouts of Rakes is urged to contact police."

well anyways getting to the point the 22 yr old individual is my little brother. The part that creeps me out the most is that, he was at my 3 hours before he did this. I hadn't seen him in 6 years and he just shows up at my house. Then today I get the newspaper with that on the front page with a huge picture of him. I cannot say how much my biological family seems to be a constant let down. This is the reason I have changed my last name to Odell which is my foster parents last name. Oh well thats life right. Take the good with the bad I guess. All I know is if he breaks into my house and assaults my girlfriend and steals any of my studio gear......man god help him. Oh well. Thanks for letting me rant.

Cheers fellas,
Kyle

That's terrible man. I wish you and your family well. You can't really control what people do so you might as well not dwell on in too much. Maybe this can inspire you to make some pissed off riffs :D

Edit: Your band bloodjinn kicks ass !

Holy shit dude, that's ridiculous, what a total fucking scumbag! (an 84 year old woman? Christ... :Smug: ) You say you hadn't seen him in 6 years, damn - if you don't mind me asking, what's your story with your family that you've been living with foster parents? Just curious

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you can not dwell on this too much like others have said.

Hope you and your family get through this ok.

Holy shit dude, that's ridiculous, what a total fucking scumbag! (an 84 year old woman? Christ... :Smug: ) You say you hadn't seen him in 6 years, damn - if you don't mind me asking, what's your story with your family that you've been living with foster parents? Just curious

Basically my mom divorced my dad when she got pregnant with me bc he was a drug addict. So I never saw him until I was like 9 maybe. Well my mom died when I was 15 and for some reason my family kind of treated me like the black sheep and just well abandoned me after she died. They didnt treat her very much like family either. So I was forced to go into foster care, which was fine with me bc they actually gave a shit about me. So I havent really seen any of my family. So thats like a short way of explaining it. Its a lot more in depth and kind of ehhh crappy I guess but its whatever.

That's gotta be tough, man.

Are you going to get involved?

Not gonna get involved at all. Anything to keep from provoking him to come around here.

Basically my mom divorced my dad when she got pregnant with me bc he was a drug addict. So I never saw him until I was like 9 maybe. Well my mom died when I was 15 and for some reason my family kind of treated me like the black sheep and just well abandoned me after she died. They didnt treat her very much like family either. So I was forced to go into foster care, which was fine with me bc they actually gave a shit about me. So I havent really seen any of my family. So thats like a short way of explaining it. Its a lot more in depth and kind of ehhh crappy I guess but its whatever.

Jesus, that's really bad dude. Kinda makes me realise that what little problems I have with shit are nothing compared to how some people have had to live their lives. Also what a good start to my live I've had. Well, at least you seem to be getting on with your life, you have a great band, and you seem like a cool and grounded guy. Don't let this kinda shit get you down, and as long as your bro doesn't come near you, then you have no need to let this bring you down. Maybe this could be inspiration for a really mean, fucking aggressive song, the best writing I find always comes from something good or bad happening, it's like you get inspiration from it in a strange way.

P.S If any of that sounds patronising, or offensive at all, it wasn't meant like that. Just trying to lift you back up dude, now go shred! :headbang:

Jesus, that's really bad dude. Kinda makes me realise that what little problems I have with shit are nothing compared to how some people have had to live their lives. Also what a good start to my live I've had. Well, at least you seem to be getting on with your life, you have a great band, and you seem like a cool and grounded guy. Don't let this kinda shit get you down, and as long as your bro doesn't come near you, then you have no need to let this bring you down. Maybe this could be inspiration for a really mean, fucking aggressive song, the best writing I find always comes from something good or bad happening, it's like you get inspiration from it in a strange way.

P.S If any of that sounds patronising, or offensive at all, it wasn't meant like that. Just trying to lift you back up dude, now go shred! :headbang:

Definantly not offensive at all. Shit happens ya know. When I was young I used to dwell on that shit and think how terrible it was, but as I have gotten older I have realized you know that you basically have to play the cards you are dealt and try and make the best of things. I am thankful that the foster parents I have were there. I could have been put on the streets and well things just could have been worlds worse. But thanks so much guys for all your kind words.:headbang:

Definantly not offensive at all. Shit happens ya know. When I was young I used to dwell on that shit and think how terrible it was, but as I have gotten older I have realized you know that you basically have to play the cards you are dealt and try and make the best of things. I am thankful that the foster parents I have were there. I could have been put on the streets and well things just could have been worlds worse. But thanks so much guys for all your kind words.:headbang:

It's cool, as much as a lot of cats on here are tr00 br00tal metulz, and wouldn't admit to being caring and understanding, when something like this happens to someone, it's like a big family everyone is willing to help. And we know you'd offer sympathy and support if the situation were the opposite.

It's cool, as much as a lot of cats on here are tr00 br00tal metulz, and wouldn't admit to being caring and understanding, when something like this happens to someone, it's like a big family everyone is willing to help. And we know you'd offer sympathy and support if the situation were the opposite.

Yes indeed and it truely means a lot as I look up to a ton of you guys.

Jesus, that's really bad dude. Kinda makes me realise that what little problems I have with shit are nothing compared to how some people have had to live their lives.

Have to go off topic for a second.

I'm actually 22 now. My mother died like 1 1/2 year ago and my father when I was almost 16. My father died because his aorta blew (from one day to another... he was smoking like 40 cigarettes a day and drank a lot) and my mother because her liver stoped working. she couldn't handle the death of my father and drank herself to death. no one knew about her alcohol problem until she looked like a pregnant simpson. she forgot her childrens names and couldn't recognize us because the alcohol in her blood directly attacked her brain. she got mentally defective. no one knew whats going to happen. two weeks later she was dead.

so what's the point about that? I learned that even by the fact other people have to face bigger problems it doesn't mean you don't suffer the same because of your "little" problems or it's way easier to handle them. There are no small or big problems... just different ones. My fiance and I had a lot of trouble because of that. It was like she had a fight with her mother and I said something like "why are you crying? just be happy you still have one!". That's not fair by any means. She felt really bad because of that fight with her mom and I should have helped her no matter what I think.

on-topic:

dude, thats one fucked up storry. But as the others said... it's not your fault.

My father died because his aorta blew (from one day to another...

Same thing happened to my father, too. He was a smoker but that didn't cause it. He suffered from Marfan syndrome which wasn't diagnosed until he had died.

He collapsed in a football/soccer match and was brought to hospital. It took the doctors more than a week to find out, that his aorta was already 3 times the size it usually is... :rolleyes:

We got the news on Saint Nicholas Day when my mother picked me up from school to visit him and bring him some presents. When we arrived at the hospital, there was already a helicopter on its way to get him to another hospital for an emergency surgery.

We had a little walk while waiting. He smoked a last cigarette (still doing some jokes about it) and then in the elevator back to his room he collapsed again and I had to watch him basically internally bleed to death...

I had just turned 15 years... It just puts things into perspective.

This being a genetic disease, I might be having it too... like a walking time bomb.

Sorry for derailing this thread even more... but I wholeheartedly agree with this:

I learned that even by the fact other people have to face bigger problems it doesn't mean you don't suffer the same because of your "little" problems or it's way easier to handle them.

And that's exactly why I usually don't like people raving about how bad they had it as a child etc. You don't have to go through shit to know what suffering means... but having to do so, changes priorities.

well said slash, it really changes priorities. You know... my best friend helped me through my worst time and now he really acts different in front of his parents.

yeah... my fathers aorta didn't blew because of smoking. to be true we don't even know because we didn't wanted him to be sliced up just to know what caused his death. who cares... he wasn't killed. we know it was his aorta that caused his death... we don't know why it happened.

we all have our problems. and they're all worth some attention.

Slash and EMD, good god, I can't even begin to think of what to say that - I love my parents and am very close with them, and the trauma that would cause me if they were to die, especially in the ways you saw yours, I'm seriously tensing up thinking about it. I suppose you both have learned to live with it, so sympathies are kinda pointless at this point, but you've got 'em from me all the same! I admire you two for carriying on and making the best of your lives!

Have to go off topic for a second.

I'm actually 22 now. My mother died like 1 1/2 year ago and my father when I was almost 16. My father died because his aorta blew (from one day to another... he was smoking like 40 cigarettes a day and drank a lot) and my mother because her liver stoped working. she couldn't handle the death of my father and drank herself to death. no one knew about her alcohol problem until she looked like a pregnant simpson. she forgot her childrens names and couldn't recognize us because the alcohol in her blood directly attacked her brain. she got mentally defective. no one knew whats going to happen. two weeks later she was dead.

so what's the point about that? I learned that even by the fact other people have to face bigger problems it doesn't mean you don't suffer the same because of your "little" problems or it's way easier to handle them. There are no small or big problems... just different ones. My fiance and I had a lot of trouble because of that. It was like she had a fight with her mother and I said something like "why are you crying? just be happy you still have one!". That's not fair by any means. She felt really bad because of that fight with her mom and I should have helped her no matter what I think.

on-topic:

dude, thats one fucked up storry. But as the others said... it's not your fault.

I totally agree with you. You just have to take things one day at a time and eventually one day it gets easier. I am so sorry about your parents. My mother died of liver cancer and liver cirrhosis. Its hard to watch someone go from something like that.