How are electrionic drum samples made?

Flow Of Time

Oct 6, 2012
What the title says.. Are they heavily processed/bitcrushed real drums or shaped sine waves? I don't have a clue and always wondered about this :D

Both. Also sampled from drum machines or use the drum machine itself. Some DM's have samples, some are analog and shaped and some even do both. Some are VA. Layered much like in some metal. There really is no limit. You can do anything you want.

You can do anything you want to create trillions of different sounds. Some people use field recordings of goats farting for drums...

In all seriousness, I have a friend that went out to a suspension bridge and used a field recorder to make drum/glitch sounds from the creaking it made.

Both. Also sampled from drum machines or use the drum machine itself. Some DM's have samples, some are analog and shaped and some even do both. Some are VA. Layered much like in some metal. There really is no limit. You can do anything you want.

That must be the first audio related post I ever saw from you :)

Haha, here's a beat made with banging my table, a can and a mug with a spoon in it. The "cymbal"/whatever was made with my mouth haha. Had fun :lol:

The first clip is the processed one (duh), latter is the raw. Recorded with a trusty Shure SM57. I got there with compression, EQ and heavy saturation. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That must be the first audio related post I ever saw from you :)

:lol: I made a couple others when I was still trying to do the metal thing. I've since gave up and went back to electronic music. Besides, this was always a hobby, you guys are the experts and have everything covered. :cool:

Still love this forum! :headbang:

rapucore, that's a dance hit if I ever heard one. :heh: