How bout a vocal thread?

is it always a bad idea to give the mic into the singers hand?

and thanks jbroll! absolut right answer.

I still wonder if t-bone mics are worth anything...if anybody has any experience?

is it always a bad idea to give the mic into the singers hand?

and thanks jbroll! absolut right answer.

I still wonder if t-bone mics are worth anything...if anybody has any experience?

yeah. with the mic in hand, unless the singer has flawless mic technique, the sound will be all over the place, sometimes too loud from him/her getting too close, or too quiet from him/her pulling away.

Anyone ever use two mics at once? Stand about 6" back, and sing right between them? I am trying to get a Maynard/Tool-esque tone out of my vocals. I am looking for that edgy sound, but also clear/warm.

yeah. with the mic in hand, unless the singer has flawless mic technique, the sound will be all over the place, sometimes too loud from him/her getting too close, or too quiet from him/her pulling away.
When I did Live sound two weeks ago the singer of a band was too drunk to sing into the mic. That dumb fuck thought I was picking on him be turning his voice down or whatever. :Smug: At least the audience wasn't angry at me cause they got where the real problem was! :lol: (Sorry for ot but kinda exaggerates that stated problem! ;) )

Yeah, but won't this happen while using a micstand aswell because of too much moving of the head (even while standing still)?

What's a good distance between the singer's mouth and the mic?

Ah yeah, another question: I'm using a Edirol FireWire FA-101 and I read they have good mic pre's... do you think I should get an external one with a tube or do you think the Edirol itself is good enough to get good results?

I'm kinda scared I won't be able to get growls powerfull enough or something just because of my equiptment.

My favorite thing evar:

"Hey can I use my mic (a sm58) cause I only sound awsome with my mic"
"Well I promise you will sound better through my much more exspensive mic"
"Yeah but I don't get the feel with that mic"
"Okay we can go with yours"
"Blah blah, scream scream, gargle gargle."
"Okay how do you like that take (me talking)"
"Is there anything you can do to makes those Ps not so loud? Also can you make it not sound so bassy and raspy?"
:Smug::mad:

sm58's work fine if not cupped.

I useally treat them:
Q10 or eqium first, cutting extreme highs and lows, High shelf from around 1.5 khz, maybe some dips in the mids to make it fit..
Datube fully cranked then mixed in 50% for the dirt and to make it more mix-able.
Then a L1 limit it about 5/6 maybe more db's.
And a waves delay 2 taps ( i like the analoque delay preset) set to the songs BPM, through a send offcourse.

Works fine in metal most of the time, its different some projects though.

My favorite thing evar:

"Hey can I use my mic (a sm58) cause I only sound awsome with my mic"
"Well I promise you will sound better through my much more exspensive mic"
"Yeah but I don't get the feel with that mic"
"Okay we can go with yours"
"Blah blah, scream scream, gargle gargle."
"Okay how do you like that take (me talking)"
"Is there anything you can do to makes those Ps not so loud? Also can you make it not sound so bassy and raspy?"
:Smug::mad:

Dymanic mics are harder to mix than condensors if you don't have as much experience doing it for sure. It's kind of ridiculous to say that SM58 sounds bad though dude. The list could go on forever of great studio albums with SM58's on vocals but there's no real point. It sounds like you're dealing with singers who have bad techniques, bad performances and really haven't practiced enough.

Parallel compression- make a copy of the track. Compress the hell out of it. Blend it back in with the dry track.

what do you mean by compress the hell out of it? fast attack and fast release? any makeup gain?

what do you mean by compress the hell out of it? fast attack and fast release? any makeup gain?

Fast attack and fast/medium release. Makeup gain is up to you, it's about the level, not the sound.
I use Bombfactory's 1176 emulation for this. It's also great to boost the low frequencies of the squashed track. Gives a nice "body" to the sound.