How can i play 10% like you?

Israel.Luis

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2010
Dear Mr. Broderick,

My name is Israel Luis, i'm from Portugal and i 'd like to know how can i play 10% as you.
I don't practice much because i work all day and when i get home i haven't any spare time.

What exercises did you use when you started playing?
Could you send me some?

Best Regards

Israel

If you look at some of the interviews he did you'll see what he used to do.
Violin, Classical guitar, electric guitar, and voice lessons... he did alot

Chris used to do it for, like, 15 hours a day, though, which is total overkill even though it taught him a lot really fast.

If you don't have a lot of time, DVD lessons are good suggestions - check out the John Petrucci Rock Discipline DVD for sure, that's got plenty of exercises and practical ideas in it to help you become skilled.

YouTube search Pebber Brown, he has the best lessons on the net and FOR FREE!!!

And da.benson8r, how is practicing for 15 hours overkill? If you are not at the level you want to be at, you practice as much as you can in order to try and reach that level.

Maybe you are confusing overstrain with overkill, because even if you spent 24 hours a day practicing, and did not need sleep, you still wouldn't scratch the surface of the things you could learn. So there is no such thing as overkill.

You've got a point, perhaps I did confuse overkill and overstrain. I just really can't imagine practicing for 15 hours every day and not either 1) Get tired of practicing the same things over and over, or 2) Causing injury in some way. I know players like Steve Vai and Chris have practiced for such long stretches of time, maybe it's different for every person, but as much as I love guitar even I can't imagine playing for that long, I would eventually lose interest and start playing bad blues licks or ugly rhythms or something. Haha.

the passion is strong within them i guess...which is why they're like gods of guitar LOL