How can we "help a brother out"?

There's a big difference between bands I've heard, and bands I've only heard of. I've heard at least a few tracks of most every band mentioned on this forum. However, I can't blindly purchase every CD from every band that gets recommended or suggested for PP, I dont have that kind of loot. And frankly, I enjoy being surprised by a new band every once in a while. Woosta, maybe I can make a list of bands I've never heard and you can buy their CD's for me...

I checked out Thunderstone when they came out... I wasn't a fan then, but I might check out some of their newer stuff... there must be something good about them that would earn them a ProgPower slot...

Sumeet said:
MetalSeamstress said:
woosta said:
Should we include a link every time we discuss a band that we like? Any ideas?
I have to say, even the prospect of getting more people into something isn't going to make me hunt down web info or potentially-copyright-infringing music clips every time I happen to mention a band on an internet message board.

Excuse me? Who said anything aboout potentially-copyright-infringing music clips? We are talking about a link to band pages that share their music clips.
Example= http://www.freakkitchen.com/music/organic_01.mp3

And it's really unnecessary... if there's a conversation about a band that sounds interesting to you, all you have to do is type the band's name into google.com, and any number of informational sites will come up... many containing music clips. Considering that's a process that takes about 10 seconds, it's rather illogical for you to state that you don't have the extra time to do that when discussion of one particular band interests you, but assume that others have the time to find and link info about every band they talk about.

Tis your opinion. Let me exchange that to "Some" of us would like the quick two second link to band sites or music to check out. Most people of this forum have exquisite tastes in music, so I would like to check out that band. But some people do not have a lot of time to sit and spin in front of the computer all day. Illocical:err: ?
In my opinion, I like the fact that there is a link in a post so that I can save it to faves and check out later so when I do have the time to sit in front of the computer and catch up. Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it

Hey, arent forums about expressing your opinion and ideas and not to take things way out of context?
FYI, do I really have to include everybody that is "not" in the "some or most" catagory in every post, no I don't think so! I do not intentionally go out and write things that would berate or hurt anyone. That is just plain rude.
Gee's, no wonder I don't post much, gotta watch what a person says days without offending someone.

Angrafan said:
You guys are talking about Thunderstone as if they were the biggest thing in Metal..
I swear to got I never heard about them until very rencetly (Actually, when someone told me they were playing progpower last week..)

And I attended a few Euro fests last year.. I buy a good 20+ Cds a month and receive a good deal of promos (not from Nuclear Blast, though!) :loco:

And the name is fairly generic.. Even if people posted about them on this forum, there are a gazzion bands with similar names..

Well...if you were on the Nuclear Blast mailing list...then you would have definitely known who they were...

BTW...are you in the music industry...just curious how you stay so well in the loop?

Rock on!

General Zod said:
Part of the reason I don't know Thinderstone is I've never seen them discussed... anywhere. I mean, I'm sure people have mentioned them before, but not to the point where I'd say it's surprising people are unfamiliar with them.

Zod

Aw, come on, Zod...they've been pimped on here (granted...in spurts) quite a few times. You just weren't paying attention...

Wow...did I just use the terms "pimp" and "spurt" in the same sentence?

Rock on!

rockyracoon said:
There's a big difference between bands I've heard, and bands I've only heard of. I've heard at least a few tracks of most every band mentioned on this forum. However, I can't blindly purchase every CD from every band that gets recommended or suggested for PP, I dont have that kind of loot. And frankly, I enjoy being surprised by a new band every once in a while. Woosta, maybe I can make a list of bands I've never heard and you can buy their CD's for me...

Let me know and maybe I can make you a cd of some of it. I would be happy to redirect you to links for anything I don't own yet (probably mostly Prog stuff).

MetalSeamstress said:
Sumeet said:
MetalSeamstress said:
woosta said:
Should we include a link every time we discuss a band that we like? Any ideas?

Excuse me? Who said anything aboout potentially-copyright-infringing music clips? We are talking about a link to band pages that share their music clips.
Example= http://www.freakkitchen.com/music/organic_01.mp3

Tis your opinion. Let me exchange that to "Some" of us would like the quick two second link to band sites or music to check out. Most people of this forum have exquisite tastes in music, so I would like to check out that band. But some people do not have a lot of time to sit and spin in front of the computer all day. Illocical:err: ?
In my opinion, I like the fact that there is a link in a post so that I can save it to faves and check out later so when I do have the time to sit in front of the computer and catch up. Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it

Hey, arent forums about expressing your opinion and ideas and not to take things way out of context?
FYI, do I really have to include everybody that is "not" in the "some or most" catagory in every post, no I don't think so! I do not intentionally go out and write things that would berate or hurt anyone. That is just plain rude.
Gee's, no wonder I don't post much, gotta watch what a person says days without offending someone.

Offending someone? You know, if you go back and look at my post, I really was not offended, nor was I ripping you a new one... Please show me where in my post (or any of my posts) I berated anyone. Surely, if I meant to berate or hurt anyone I would have used stronger language than "illogical", wouldn't I?

I was merely pointing out that what you posted seemed illogical to me. I didn't say your post was worthless, or anything like that. You made a statement, and I simply disagreed with it. Isn't having that kind of discussion what forums are for? Seems to me as if you're the one getting offended for no reason.

As to the actual point of my post... sure, you like when there is a link in a post so you can save it and check it out later. That's understandable. I like it too. And yes, if you are talking only about a band's official website, then indeed, there are no copyright infringement issues. So, if a person posting a message does have the time to find and link band websites, so much the better. But I still think it is illogical for you to state that you don't have enough time to type one band's name into google.com, something which only takes a couple of seconds, but to assume that others have time to search for and link to websites of every band they discuss.

Tis your opinion. Let me exchange that to "Some" of us would like the quick two second link to band sites or music to check out. Most people of this forum have exquisite tastes in music, so I would like to check out that band. But some people do not have a lot of time to sit and spin in front of the computer all day. Illocical ?

I think it's much more fun to make uninformed blanket statements about bands without ever having heard them. LET'S HEAR IT FOR BLANKET STATEMENTS!!!:headbang:

ashaman7122 said:
Aw, come on, Zod...they've been pimped on here (granted...in spurts) quite a few times. You just weren't paying attention...
Well, that's just it. Every Power Metal band on the planet is "pimped" on here to one extent or another (even some who aren't signed). There just aren't enough hours in the day to download a few MP3s from every one of these bands. And as I alluded to earlier, Thunderstone isn't a band whose generated a consistent amount of chatter on any of the boards I frequent. Lastly, for some of us, Power Metal isn't our favorite genre.

Zod

this does happen to me... as i don't always have time to take out to go online and listen or the money to pick up new cds. between work, the gym and sleep... my days are SHOT... i only listen to music on weekends and in the car and in the bath...

ashaman7122 said:
Well...if you were on the Nuclear Blast mailing list...then you would have definitely known who they were...

BTW...are you in the music industry...just curious how you stay so well in the loop?

Rock on!

I feel some sarcasm in there.. :) But that's ok.. Well, you see.. I am not the only one.. Zod seems to be pretty well informed about music and he didn't know them either.. And some other people as well...

Angrafan said:
I feel some sarcasm in there.. :) But that's ok.. Well, you see.. I am not the only one.. Zod seems to be pretty well informed about music and he didn't know them either.. And some other people as well...

Sarcasm? Not really...

I just thought it was funny that you pointed out that you were NOT on the NB mailing list...so...if you were...well...

Anyway...just a goofy response...but you still didn't answer my question...about being in the industry?

Or...are you just an obsessive metalhead like the rest of us...?

Rock on!

Oh, sorry! I thought you were being sarcastic about that.. That's why I didn't answer the question...
I have a record label in Brazil...
And I also write for a few Brazilian magazines, doing CD reviews of albums not released in Brazil and I cover international events!

But for the most part I am just a big fan! :)

Angrafan said:
Oh, sorry! I thought you were being sarcastic about that.. That's why I didn't answer the question...
I have a record label in Brazil...
And I also write for a few Brazilian magazines, doing CD reviews of albums not released in Brazil and I cover international events!

But for the most part I am just a big fan! :)

Very cool...thanks for the response...

I'm starting to realize that I have the reputation of being quite a smartass...go figure...haha!

Now we need to gang up on Zod for not knowing shit about these bands...

Rock on!

My original response was going to be:

Smart ass.

Rock On!

LOL But I decided to be a bit more polite :D
That's a real problem in the net.. Without seeing the person's expressions, sometimes it's hard to tell the true meaning of what you are trying to say... :)

Sumeet said:
MetalSeamstress said:
Sumeet said:
MetalSeamstress said:
Offending someone? You know, if you go back and look at my post, I really was not offended, nor was I ripping you a new one... Please show me where in my post (or any of my posts) I berated anyone. Surely, if I meant to berate or hurt anyone I would have used stronger language than "illogical", wouldn't I?

Okay, I apoligize for getting overly exaggerated. I was a little offence cause maybe a little to senitive and moody at the time, forgive me.

I was merely pointing out that what you posted seemed illogical to me. I didn't say your post was worthless, or anything like that. You made a statement, and I simply disagreed with it. Isn't having that kind of discussion what forums are for? Seems to me as if you're the one getting offended for no reason.

I think even a better understanding is that we have choices to the fact in helping a brother out, the whole point of the post. Yes you have the right.

As to the actual point of my post... sure, you like when there is a link in a post so you can save it and check it out later. That's understandable. I like it too. And yes, if you are talking only about a band's official website, then indeed, there are no copyright infringement issues. So, if a person posting a message does have the time to find and link band websites, so much the better. But I still think it is illogical for you to state that you don't have enough time to type one band's name into google.com, something which only takes a couple of seconds, but to assume that others have time to search for and link to websites of every band they discuss.

I would think it be logical to have the choice to do it or not.
So enough of this, lets talk about Metal!

Cheers!