How did you discover Symphony X

A lot of the music I've been listening to lately has been at the suggestion of the elitist bastards...er...cool people of the IGN Metal board. Symphony X is one of them. Great stuff!!

Started with V, also have The Odyssey and The Damnation Game. Still have to pick up the others.

True story: I was reading a Guitar World article a while back that was talking about technical guitarists like Yngwie, Vai, and Satriani. At the end of the article it said there were few technically advanced guitarists coming out of the 90's, but "guitarists like Michael Romeo of Symphony X, who up the ante on Yngwie in terms of speed and intensity give hope to shred fans...". Being a huge Yngwie fan, I was kind of pissed at that comment at the time so I decided to check out SyX and went on Amazon and ordered TDWOT since that was their most popular at the time. Needless to say when it arrived Yngwie found his ass on the back burner! I got the rest of their cds including The Dark Chapter, and I have been addicted ever since.

That is the only good and helpful article I have seen in Guitar World in about three years :(

Originally posted by sweepking
True story: I was reading a Guitar World article a while back that was talking about technical guitarists like Yngwie, Vai, and Satriani. At the end of the article it said there were few technically advanced guitarists coming out of the 90's, but "guitarists like Michael Romeo of Symphony X, who up the ante on Yngwie in terms of speed and intensity give hope to shred fans...". Being a huge Yngwie fan, I was kind of pissed at that comment at the time so I decided to check out SyX and went on Amazon and ordered TDWOT since that was their most popular at the time. Needless to say when it arrived Yngwie found his ass on the back burner! I got the rest of their cds including The Dark Chapter, and I have been addicted ever since.

That is the only good and helpful article I have seen in Guitar World in about three years :(

Bah, Guitar World sucks major ass. The only decent guitar magazine out there is Guitar Techniques (UK).

I heard of symphony x tru a friend of mine who bought twilight in olympus,he let me hear the cd and i was hooked,i bought all the cd's till now and have seen them a few times,great band they are.

I was standing alone and i saw a light... so God came into me and said:
Son, listen to this band if u want to touch perfection. This music is the meaning of life... HAHAHAHA!!!:saint:

Actually a friend of mine showed me them, but i was bound to punk rock at that time. In time, my music taste developed and I started to listen to Avantasia, Kamelot, Blind guardian, Angra......... This time, when I heard Symphony X again, I got hooked. The song that did that was Abscense Of Light.

My friend gave me a disk of V to listen.
I didn't like it at all. It was too heavy , too complex and too noisy for my for that time.Don't know why, but i've listened to it more and more...
After 10 or even more listenings I've realized that I can't remember a song from it , except the beginning of Evolution.
When the count of listenings reached 25 , i fell in love in it . I thought that V was a schef d'oeuvre.
Then I've got other albums and Symphony X became my favourite band.

BTW i cant stop myself listening "The Odyssey"! **HELP!**:)

I bought Ayreon's 'Flight of the Migrator' album back in 2000. It's a project of Dutch composer/guitarist Arjen Lucassen, starring many guests on vocals aswell on lead guitar and keyboards. The vocals on the albums second song really struck me right away. As was the amazing guitar solo. I kept playing the song over and over again. In the album's booklet I found that the song featured 'Sir' Russell Allen on vocals and Michael Romeo on lead guitar, both of Symphony X. I couldn't help rushing to the music store to order copies of the SyX albums. I'm hooked ever since.

I was working for D'Addario strings at the time and our AR guy used to ask me to review the CD's sent in by prospective endorsees. He didn't really care for Heavy Metal, that's why he asked me to listen to TDWOT. When I saw the cover art I figured it was another band who really wasn't that good but liked to do fancy art on their cover. I was really expecting some crappy death metal, but once I got about 1 minute into track 1 I was convinced these guys were good. After listening to the rest of the album I was sold. Unfortunately, SyX didn't (and still don't) have a large enough mainstream following to warrant an endorsement deal (even though they are phenomenal musicians) so our AR guy didn't sign them. I, however, got a new favorite band out of the deal. SyX took the place of Judas Priest for me.

Not long after first hearing TDWOT I was actually driving on the highway and listening to it, when the intro to Medusa's Eyes (the part after the keyboard where it grooves) came on I actually got pulled over for speeding. I told the cop I just got an awesome album and got into the music a little too much, wasn't paying attention to my speed. He didn't care, and gave me the ticket anyway. I guess he's just not enlightened to the greatness of SyX like the rest of us! :)

Originally posted by scanner313
I was working for D'Addario strings at the time and our AR guy used to ask me to review the CD's sent in by prospective endorsees. He didn't really care for Heavy Metal, that's why he asked me to listen to TDWOT. When I saw the cover art I figured it was another band who really wasn't that good but liked to do fancy art on their cover. I was really expecting some crappy death metal, but once I got about 1 minute into track 1 I was convinced these guys were good. After listening to the rest of the album I was sold. Unfortunately, SyX didn't (and still don't) have a large enough mainstream following to warrant an endorsement deal (even though they are phenomenal musicians) so our AR guy didn't sign them. I, however, got a new favorite band out of the deal. SyX took the place of Judas Priest for me.

Not long after first hearing TDWOT I was actually driving on the highway and listening to it, when the intro to Medusa's Eyes (the part after the keyboard where it grooves) came on I actually got pulled over for speeding. I told the cop I just got an awesome album and got into the music a little too much, wasn't paying attention to my speed. He didn't care, and gave me the ticket anyway. I guess he's just not enlightened to the greatness of SyX like the rest of us! :)

Hahahaha!!! That was fun!

I saw an advertisement for the first album in the Japanese HM magazine Burrn!, and at about the same time a friend told me about them. I got the Japanese release, and have been hooked ever since.

I purchased 'V' about 1 year ago based on such high praise word of mouth and it never really took off with me. This past weekend at ProgPower, a friend insisted I listen to the new one. Color me blown away and new convert. I went back and purchased 'Twilight...' and 'Divine...' as well and those 3 CDs are now rotating in my CD player. I can't believe I ever passed this band up.

You know, V is the only album from SyX (except for the 1st album due to vocal issues) that I really didn't care for. I listened to it a couple of times and it never caught my attention with very few exceptions of small parts within a given song. I then misplaced my copy and didn't have any desire to buy it again from what I remembered. I think it's still around somewhere, and I hope I find it to give it another chance, but it doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't have been hooked on SyX until you heard the new album, or the 2 before V.

The thing that drives me nuts is that so many people on this forum love V and say it's their favorite SyX album. I have to hear it again to see what they hear because SyX is my favorite band and I am starting to doubt my memory of the negative perception I had about that album.

Exactly the same for me. The other 3 albums you mentioned are so damned good, I'm doubting my initial dislike of 'V' right now, so I need to go listen to it again!

You're not by any chance going to see them at the Birch Hill in NJ tonite, are you?

Not going to the Birch Hill, but I wish I was. I actually grew up in NJ and have seen many shows there, I actually played there once too in a battle of the bands competition. That should be an awesome show!

I'm out in the Pittsburgh area now so that would be a long drive (about 7 hours). I'm going to try to see then when they play in Cleveland on Dec. 6th. That's only a 2 hour ride for me.

The x-lead guitarist from my band and I would always jam together and we were both really into Jason Becker and Cacophony. He said that he had heard really great things about the guitar in Symphony X. I went and bought V and now I've got em all!
The Odyssey OWNS!

Well, thanks to a cousin of mine I got aquainted with the works of Symphony X. A living proof that good things can come from your family ;)

First I got hooked with "of Sins and Shadow" (methinks that's the name of the song, can't recall for sure right now), then I listened to "The Accolade", by then I was a gonner... that is one of the best songs I've heard, I can listen to it all day... please make it stop!! :loco:

Cheers