How did you get into Opeth?

At a Korn message board. Three or so of the people were very metal-inclined. And they talked about bands like Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, and My Dying Bride. I just had a gut feeling that I would like Opeth, so I went and got the only album available in this backwater town, BWP. I'll get the rest as it becomes possible.

"Maybe it sounds a little bit weird, but I get into Opeth because of the bandname!"

That's how I got into some bands. I liked Biohazard's logo and I saw Anathema in the list of bands in the back of BWP's booklet, I knew that the word anathema meant something blasphemous and heretical, and I though "cool."
:heh:

the list in the BWP booklet also interested me in Katatonia, Dark Tranquility, and In Flames.

Originally I hesitated getting into Opeth because I had an version to anything that featured both clean and growling vocals...in other words, I was one of those lameasses who thought if a guy had a great singing voice, why waste it on a growl? Then a friend sent me Godhead's Lament and I downloaded Nectar and I never looked back, after the adjustment period that lasted about a month, although certain aspects of Opeth blew me away from the start.

I heard the funeral portrait on the Comcast music choice channel on cable. I loved the guitars - like TOOL, but much more melodic, symphonic even. The growling not so much, but I listened to samples on the internet and really got into it. Bought Blackwater at best buy and you know the rest....

Well, My friend ordered Morningrise after finding out about Opeth on the net. I ingested some magical mushrooms and entered the world of Morningrise. Floating around in the music. Well that really made it sink in. Prior to that I coundn't stand death metal vocals. The clean vocals were so awesome though I couldn't not listen to Opeth. Now, I love the growls as much as if not more then the clean vocals....well maybe not more.

I was already into metal, especially Black Metal at the time and i heard Nectar on the Blackened ll compilation.....they immediately became one of my favorite bands after only one song:)

One of my friends used to throw it on in his car almost constantly for a period of time. It was one of those things I didn't pay direct attention to at first, but I began to notice all the diversity and variety in any one particular song. He made me a copy of morningrise which still happens to be my favorite album. I became so into them that I flew to europe to see that show in liepzig, germany. That was when there seemed to be no prospect of seeing them tour this country. But, ironically, I arrived one hour too late to that show and missed them entirely.

i discovered Opeth o, 1999 with Moonlapse Vertigo who was on the sampler of the french magasine Hard N Heavy
yes, it exactly the same answer i made for Katatonia, but for Opeth, it was one month later :)

The subject makes me have to ask, are there any good net radio stations around for metal? Like ones run by people who have actual musical taste and a huge catalogue. Guess I could browse the shoutcast stations a bit. I'm always looking for the next good band to get into, that's all, and hearing a lot of random songs while you're not really paying attention is a good way.

-Hondo

Originally posted by Surge
I became so into them that I flew to europe to see that show in liepzig, germany. That was when there seemed to be no prospect of seeing them tour this country. But, ironically, I arrived one hour too late to that show and missed them entirely.
THAT SUCKS! Man, that is disappointing! But much respect for actually flying over there. I thought I was a big fan to fly to Milwaukee. ;)

Well, I read a review of BWP in a death/black metal magazine... The first songs I downloaded were Bleak and Harvest which now happen to be my favourite ones on BWP

i beat up some guy and took his morningrise cd and found out it was the greatest album ever made.

I first found out about Opeth at Satan Stole My Teddybear (www.chedsey.com.) I was browsing around for some new CD's to buy, being a recent metal convert and all, and found the reviews for Opeth. I've never been one to resist a great review, especially when the music is described as epic and beautiful.

i was quietly sitting down having nap one day when a great light came down from the heavens and i was whisked away to another dimension and ....... ummmmmmmm........ ok ok, i just heard them on the radio and thought they sounded like the type of band i'd always been looking for. I was right.

I was fed up with commercialized music and was searching Amazon.com for bands like Dream Theater, etc...somehow I was linked to Opeth...I think it was the devil that did it. ;)

Back in the day, we had just recently gotten the internet in rural Newfoundland where i lived. I found out about mp3's (which by the way were encoded very crappily back then!!!) I never knew any extreme metal back then, only death I guess. I found this online article about a band named Opeth. It was very unprofessionally written, and almst sounded like it was a friend of the band who had written it. I can remember something about them being on a patio, giong through a glass door or something (weird I know, I can only recall parts of it, like a dream...).

So anyway, I decided to search the net (no napster or anything those days, just browsing through thousand's of pages of yahoo links...), and I managed to come across two very short samples from their new album: I got The intro to To Bid you farewell and The Night and The Silent Water (up until after the first clean singing section).

I immediately ordered it online and was mesmerized by its' uniqueness when it finally arrived.