How did you get into Testament???

Decepticon

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
There has not been very much mention of Testament lately so I thought Id bring em up. So, how did you? For me it was the cover art on Return to the Apocalyptic City. Needless to say I was hooked on one of the greatest thrash bands ever!!!!!!!!

Corporal Bob Paiva from Massachusetts, 11b infantryman. He had this 'New Order' cassette which we took to the field and blasted on this little box. This was in Ft. Belvoir, Virgina, in December. Fuckin' cold. I remember getting a bit of time off from the training, and walking a few miles in a snowstorm to the PX to buy The Legacy. Then, later on, we'd get drunk on a pitcher of beer a piece and shots of the Capt'n at the NCO club and he'd wail "Alone in the Dark" on the ride back to the barracks. God, he had an awful voice...

Pitiful, ain't it?

to 1986, a store called heavy metal unlimited, guy was playing c.o.t.l.o.d. I said who ever that is, I'll take it. Bought the album and tape, still have both to this day. AND the new order album too. First time seeing them was at the Royal Oak Music Theater with Wrathchild America and Savatage (?)

I remember seeing an article/add for the Legacy demo in I believe Aardschock #1.
I think it was 1986. (I still have the magazine and now I'll have to check) A friend of mine ordered it (he ordered every demo he could get his hands on back then LOL) I didnt really think too much about it until the TestAmenT LP Legacy came out. That same friend bought it and turned me on to it. I was completely floored by Chuck's far superior vocals and was immeditely blown away and have been a TestAmenT fan ever since.
COTLOD forever!!!!!

the year: 1990
reason: Karen LOVES the new thrash music she listens to, after getting into metal from heavy metal bands like Maiden and Kiss and B.Sabath, and Motley..

the album: Souls of Black
i got it for the first time from a local music store, on an original tape cassete!!!!!

haha, remember the days when "an original tape cassete" was COOL!?
:lol:

I saw their shirt @ Hot Topic when I was buying the new Metallica cd St Anger. :tickled:

Seriously,

A friend of mine was a HUGE Testament fan , and I was the uber-Metallica freak back in 89. We were both guitar players and he introduced me to Testament Practice, and I was hooked, and from that day forward I have been into the band, through ALL lineup changes , and have seen ever single show in LA since then. I think I mentioned this on this same topic way back, but one Testament show @ the Palladium (1992) was the only time I ever lost hearing in one ear for a week due to the volume level. I was right next to the house PA speakers.

Ironically, I've heard their song on our national radio (Dog Faced Gods) late at night during a program about death metal and the next day I went to a store and bought the CD with the nicest cover artwork (RTTAC, of course) and became a fan the same day

i walked into my buddy's room when Apocalyptic City was starting .great music with great lyrics & very catchy tune. i asked him how he found them & told me he used my method, it looked like it would be heavy so i bought it. good thing for paper routes back in the day

back when I was freshman in HS in 1984. We waz the long hairs and we heard of thrash scence in Cali and we looked into bands such as, metallica, exodus, and Testament. Glad we did!!

~I was just getting into the scene then in 1990. My only view to thrash was Headbanger's Ball and Metal Maniacs. At the time the Ball was covered in glam, but occasionally they'd throw out "Bored", "Brainwashed", "Wake Up Dead", "War Ensemble", "Indians", "Objection Overuled", "One" and Testament's "Souls of Black". The video was the band playing with everything on fire (Chuck on a pulpit giving orders) and the song was killer! I still like Souls better than Practice, maybe because it was my first.

My friend kept telling me about them, so i just went to buy one(cos my friend always refers me to good music :) ) i couldnt decide which to get so i just picked up 'the very best of'
uber excellent cd

Akumojo Dracula X3 said:
~ I still like Souls better than Practice, maybe because it was my first.

I heard Practice before Souls , but I am kinda the same way as you. Practice has awesome songs, but Souls just is darker and in some regards heavier, plus Alex's solos on Souls are amazing. I guess we are in the minority.