how do I remove a transformer from a 57?

AEL89

Jan 22, 2009
I know there's so many technically-minded people on here so could one of you talk me through how I go about removing a transformer from an SM57?

There are a few simple explanations on here but I just don't want to ruin one, so a detailed walkthrough would be massively appreciated by me and probably loads of other guys on this forum.

Alex

Remove the center portion (the mic unscrews in the middle, cut the wires) to and from the transformer). Boil it in water for about 20 mins, remove it from the water, push the epoxied in transformer out. Reconnect the capsule and jack with new wires (make sure to take note of which wire goes where when you cut the wires the first time).

I've done it, it wasn't hard. The tranny can be a bitch to take out though.

As simple as that? Sounds really stupid but is there a certain type of wire that needs to be used? Thanks for the quick response dude!

I just used standard copper wire. Whatever you would use in whatever other soldering work you would have done in your life/guitar wiring.

I happened to be around when you asked, so shabang! Also make sure your mic pre has plenty of gain, cause this drops the output by almost 10db last time I checked!

^ supposed to (from what ive read) make it less harsh and more lows. More like the SM7B

I have one modded and on unmodded. I switch off every so often on which i like better.....right now im liking the unmodded better.