How do I "Sneap" a snare?

flhctroll

Mar 23, 2006
Fox Lake, IL
amproductions.info
Hey all. Been noticing that Andy's snare sound is definatly unique. Just wondering what the main factor is in getting that sound. I understand the basics, shit in... shit out, triggering, stuff like that. But, is it tuning (high top/low bottom), E.Q., comp? I'm not going for a copycat sound but am interested in how this is done. It would be nice to know this technique for the arsenal. I have never come up with something even like it. It sounds great but it almost doesnt sound like a snare. Thanks guys.

it's mainly triggering / good playing / good combination of natural snare and sampled snare and lot of it to do with using the right compressor and compression settings

u need to find a good compressor that gives a good smack on the snare , not many plug in compressors do it well though, alot of them are too " clean "

Seizure. said:
Which do you like then?
The Tc native one is pretty cool imo, but the more i fuck around and just get better at setting a compressor, the less picky i get about my compressor hehehe..

yes , i use the TC native one as well, but if i used the same settings on the Rcomp i get less smack because there isn't a soft sat function and the compressor isnt' as aggresive

and yes : Reverb is really important

use a bright reverb ! , medium sized.

Descent said:
it suprised me that andy uses d-verb as i havent managed to get anything i really liked from it. I've found true verb pretty good tho.
The thing with DVerb is that it sounds like crap by itself, but in the mix, it works well for the unrealistically large sound. True Verb doesn't really give you that.

I've also seen it mentioned a few times around here that Andy uses D-verb on the snare.

Can anyone share any D-verb tips??? Has anyone been able to come up with anything close to the verb sound Andy uses w/ D-verb?

That came out wrong, he shares a lot of stuff with us, and I'm greatful for it all, dont get me wrong!

Anyways lemme rephrase that "Andy, I know you're probably fed up of people asking you to share your secrets/tips, but could you please share some of your eq settings for snare drums?"

He gave us his actual drum samples for christ sakes! As far as sharing 'engineering secrets' goes, that's beyond anything I've seen most other name producer do!

EQ and Compressor settings are always specific to the project at hand. People are always looking for the short way out. Use your ear... make your own settings, make it work, that's half the fun of engineering.

cobhc said:
That came out wrong, he shares a lot of stuff with us, and I'm greatful for it all, dont get me wrong!

Anyways lemme rephrase that "Andy, I know you're probably fed up of people asking you to share your secrets/tips, but could you please share some of your eq settings for snare drums?"

only thing about this, is your gonna eq a snare differently depending on how it sounds when its been recorded.