How do original music? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here:

It seem as though I've been trying to write original material forever, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I've gone through phases of optimism and depression over it. I start writing random riffs and recording them in the hope that I may go back to them one day and say "hey, there's a song in there", but I've realised a good riff does not write a good song for you.
Other times I can't even get a riff down because as soon as I play it I think it sound too much like another riff from a favourite band.

To those of you who are in a band or write original material, how do you go about keeping to a style and writing along side your influences without feeling bad or silly when you get too close to them?

I think that is my biggest downfall- wanting to play a particular style (prog/power FWIW), but always ending up sounding like a forced, crap clone of it. Is it even possible to write original material now days?

How do you write to "a sound", but take yourself away from listening/ thinking of a particular song when writing your own?

So many questions....please help!

Well I write with my band, we just all bounce our random ideas, stick them together in a way that we think works and before we know it a song is finished! I find it really hard to write tunes on my own but find I'm fine at writing with other people.

In other words, find someone or some people to write with if writing on your own isn't working.

Also, sounds like you're over thinking it. Don't try and write in a particular style, just kinda roll with it. If you try to force writing in a style chances are you're gonna constantly thinking if what your playing fits it, and all you have to compare it to is other peoples stuff already in that genre so naturally you're gonna end up writing something very simliar to something aready done within that genre,

Also if a riff sounds too simliar to something else theres a million and one ways of changing it, vary some of the notes, add a it onto it, harmonise it, leave the other instruments make it sound different etc...

There's only 1 solution having 4 simple steps. Anything else won't do, sadly.

1. Arm yourself with as much as music theory as possible. Overload your brain with it. You may also consider doing those online courses in music theory that Berklee offers - http://www.berkleemusic.com

2. After you've humbly done the no.1, put it to use, and yes, use your imagination.

3. Never be fickle-minded. Be dedicated to what YOU want.

4. Smoke lots and lots of weed. It helps you concentrate, opens up your perspective, and get creative.

"Original" music happens by accident when a musician splices several different styles together or introduces new things to a pre-existing style of music, and usually not because they decided to but because they happen to listen to various different types of music on a regular basis. That's when it tends to work the best IMO, is when it just comes out that way. Just trying to write riffs is definitely not going to get you there. If you're trying to do something new you had better look elsewhere. Think outside the box. What is it artistically that you do better than anyone else you know? Figure that out and explore it.

1. Arm yourself with as much as music theory as possible. Overload your brain with it. You may also consider doing those online courses in music theory that Berklee offers - http://www.berkleemusic.com
Tons and tons of popular (and unpopular) original music has been created without knowledge of, or even with blatant disrespect for music theory. If stravinsky hadn't had the balls to begin composing outside of the "acceptable" ranges for orchestral instruments, we'd be years behind.

Yeah, forget theory, all it is to me (now that I know it) is a handy toolbox (e.g. "hey, I'm feeling uninspired, time to close my eyes and point to a key/mode and try to write something in it!"). There have been a few threads about this recently, with a lot of good suggestions - check 'em out!

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/off-topic-tavern/472291-been-having-trouble-lately.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...t-write-anymore-all-i-work-tone-settings.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/476611-anyone-else-manic-music-i-am.html

Another thing that helps is to actually impose limits,

Say for example limit yourself to only using tapping or a certain scale and make yourself play like that for a long time- lets say an hour or 2. After a couple of minutes you'll have played everything that you'd normally have played using that technique or scale and you'll push yourself to do something new, keep pushing and you'll arrive on a few idea's that you'd not normally play- develop these and you have yourself some new original material. If you do this often and with different limits you'll soon have tons of material. It's a tip I picked up from Eddie Van Halen in a book and I've read interviews with Steve Vai where he advocates doing the same. I do this a fair bit and it never fails to get something new

Somebody asked Isaac Newton once how he achieved insight were others had not and the reply was:

"If i have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"

I think this is a pretty relevant thing to apply to your music, as Marcus says theory is just a tool for achieving something, what you want to do is take original ideas, combine them, play them against each other and add your own spin on things. Take something big and add something new to it, not saying to follow a trend wave but to add your own individual expression or insight onto ideas of old to form something new.

Music in general has followed this principal for decades, metal was an extension of rock, rock was an extension of blues, blues an extension of african american folk and slave songs, we build off of pre-existing success, take what you like as your foundations - but don't try to be part of a particular scene, just make music that is based around your likes and dislikes - not what the parameters of a genre dictate you should play.

There is nothing more constricting than trying to conform to a genres pre-defined borders.

4. Smoke lots and lots of weed. It helps you concentrate, opens up your perspective, and get creative.

Fuckin'... fail.

My opinion, of course.

Öwen;8139256 said:
There is nothing more constricting than trying to conform to a genres pre-defined borders.

I learned that long ago, and need to see/hear that statement every once in a while for my own perspective...

Yeah, gotta seriously second that - I've actually been seriously loosening up about weed recently, but still, it's a vice for fuck's sake, not a goddamn inspiration serum

Yup...

I am only of that opinion because I used to smoke it every day for about 2 years until one day I realized that it wasn't helping me in any way... in fact it was preventing me from actually doing anything most times...

yeah, been smoking for a 4-5 years now sometimes alot, sometimes barely anything for a few weeks and while I haven't a clue what its like else where but with me and my mates, I find its counter productive in not only its effects, but also if you smoke in a group you get NOTHING done, you spend all yer time waitin for the next J to get around

how do you go about keeping to a style and writing along side your influences without feeling bad or silly when you get too close to them?

If you are in a writers block, start writing material that doesn't even remotely sound like your influences. Just force yourself to output something. Do some softer music, rock, pop, jazz or maybe even techno! :zombie: You don't nessecarily need to use it for that particular project, but just to let some steam out and just keep the pen going and you might accidentally even do something that might be useful even for your project. Try different effects, new toys sometimes bring some different riff out when you start noodling. For example when I bought my Big Muff, I accidentally started playing the theme from King of the Hill, even tho I had never played it before, it just had that kind of a tone to it :heh:

Or you can try that approach for the project itself: For example, I like Iron Maiden, Tool, Devin Townsend, Lenny Kravitz, Incubus, In Flames and numerous other bands that have been big influences to me, but my noodlings don't sound like any of them.

Or you can just do what the great artists do: steal. Just ignore if the riff totally sounds like Metallica, just use it if it sounds like the shit!

Haha, well before this goes ANY further I just wanna link to this thread:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/off-topic-tavern/469281-business-behind-getting-high.html

And ask that anyone who had any desire to take up the weed debate banner kindly do it there! :D

Hhahah the thread subject Gestapo gets there before I do.

Just write music man. Just sit down and play. It's not a science, just do it, Nike style.

That sounds easier said than done, and it is, but you just gotta stop thinking about about what people "want" to hear or what genre your "trying" to fit into.

IF IT FEELS RIGHT....:lol:

I understand exactly what you mean, it is hard to write original material that im satisfied with. Often i'll sit with my guitar for hours
coming up with riffs and not be happy with one.

It is hard forcing once self into a genre, i was myself insistent upon playing Black Metal, but everything i created sounded like Power metal. The problem was that i didnt know the patterns used in Black metal, all i knew was power chords and shred.

if you are sure you want to play a certain style of music just study the structure of the artists you enjoy, you will find patterns to their riffs and song structures that you can modify and use for yourself. You can also blend together patterns from other bands to create something new.

With time i have become bored of forcing myself into a corner by playing a certain genre, it feels limiting and makes it difficult for me to write. Since i know i have to have a particular sounding riff to go along with it. If i was truly trying to be original i would have no such boundaries when recording. I think that's how new musical styles are created, through experimentation, and if you are following a formula your life will be alot more difficult trying to be original.

When I am in a rut, i try different phone numbers. Example: here in Australia we have telephone numbers such as 0353311258, so the 0 stands for an open fret and the other numbers .....well..... stand for the 3rd fret, then the 5th fret and so on..... you can even mix them up and play every 3rd number on another string.

If that doesnt work, try your credit card number, there is a whole song waiting on there!:headbang:

EDIT: Dont smoke weed! You will only write terrible shit like 70 % off the garbage out there.

Oh, and anything that you throw together that sounds good, (even if it does copy another bands style), go with it. I dont sit down to tea and wonder what I am going to cook that has never been cooked before....... 1 kg fillet of steak, with roast potatoes, roasted vegetables and black peppered gravy! I didnt invent it, but I sure as hell love it!