How do original music? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Well, the hard part is finding The Riffs. And my problem when that happens is that I feel as if everything as already been invented and it all sucks I suck and ftw. But like a writer, all the words have already been written. But not all the feelings, thoughts, imaginations, madness, etc. Basically, I think music theory is good but far from necessary for when you compose the riff. The theory is good for the arrangements. For finding The Riffs, imho the trick is to go insane, forget outside exists, life is food and composing is shitting. :saint: Do you need lessons to shit? No, but you need someone who studied and worked to make the bowl and the whole underground thingy.

And about weed I am not against it at all but I think it is good for when you are doing a big big day of composing and writing after like, the 7th hour when your brain stops functionning properly at some point. Then you take a break and that break must be very efficient in time, like, 30 minutes must feel like a whole new world and since teletransporters don't exist yet, because I think 30 minutes in a little village in India can change the mind set, well smoke a little pot.

And also when I am in the composing mood, I try to compose many songs in a short period of time and I listen to very few bands whom I decided to let them inspire me. And those bands are usually under the number of 10 and it's not all metal. But when I listen to classical music, my mind seems to automatically imagine a metal version, but a FULL version of it with ALL the parts with a metal band. So I think that's good for the mind, to listen to something totally not metal and not really near what you wanna but you SEE the link... or something. The brain is a muscle!

It's the same with anything. The only way to get good at writing songs is to practice writing songs. Sit down, and come up with a very basic A/B/A/B/C/B/B song. Nothing special, very typical progression, but you'll get used to how riffs structure together to build a nice cohesive unit. Once you have the basics down, you can experiment.

It's the same with anything. The only way to get good at writing songs is to practice writing songs. Sit down, and come up with a very basic A/B/A/B/C/B/B song. Nothing special, very typical progression, but you'll get used to how riffs structure together to build a nice cohesive unit. Once you have the basics down, you can experiment.

I spent an hour or so today doing something similar to this, and it does seem to help.
I think the addition of a MIDI keyboard is something that I've been needing. I used it today to play a melody over a simple 2 chord progression and simple drum beat and that seemed to get my mind started and I came up with some usable stuff shortly afterwards.

Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions so far. Don't let me stop you if there is anything further you'd like to add.

I think the greatest help in writing is to really play and listen to a varied style of music. I listen to everything from bach to schnitke to miles davis to rihanna to hendrix to DJ hype to metallica to 1349 and most of the stages in between, so i can bring things to my metal that are different and new. The more you have to draw from the better. But dont just listen, play! I've had the pleasure of playing violin in an experimental world music/jazz/funk/classical band for the last few years, and learning how all those styles are structured has helped no end. Oh and talking of violin......try taking up a new instrument, it can give you a whole new perspective

i think the weed thing is like... a very relative thing, (that's to just not say it's a preety fucking dumb idea) if i write something i've gotta be 100% functional, like not tired, not angry with the world because of my fucked up work or university, just really focused on what i'm doing at the moment, once i read this from a girl that writes a lot of really nice country music, she said something like you have to just sit, relax, enjoy the writing, record yer ideas, let it flow, have fun, play something that's fun to play and hear, just enjoy, and all yer influences are gonna come up when you hear yerself, but it's gonna be a nice, original creation. So i stick to that, i dunno if it actually works in a millon dolar way for me, but at least, i like it when i do it.

Here is my suggestion, which is mainly stolen (yes I have no orginal ideas about being original) from Marty Friedman.

Loop your riff on your computer so your have around 20 minutes of it. Now harmonize with yourself. You can start doing straight 5ths, 4ths or 3rds but after you are comfortable with this start harmonizing it randomly by ear. Then when you get something cool, loop your knew riff and turn off the first riff. Repeat. When you have had enough see which tracks sound cool together.

You'll get outside your comfort zone real fast and I find it to be real fun.

Solid advise Roy! I have spoken to many popular recording artists about this, (maybe not popular here) and they all say about the same thing. I once applied music theory to all I did, then one day feelings took over. By that I mean trying to convey a feeling or emotion to your music. Hell, where would blues be without losing a good woman, dog or truck? Also a writing mate may also open more doors. I used to write solely with a partner, then he flaked and left me to do all the work. At first I was overwhelmed, but some of our bands best music came from that period. Just keep in mind that 99.9999% of all artists, painters, designers, graphic artists, musicians, whatever the art, are unhappy with the outcome because no one is harder on oneself than oneself. Point being, do what makes you happy and analyze it later on. You'd be surprised how many times I sit back and listen to a finished track and go, ohhhhhhh shit, that sounds like.............. Bottom line, do what makes you happy man, you will find your groove! I was working in a music store when another guitarist told me something i'll never forget. He said, "when he goes into the amp room I know who he is, ........, when he goes into the amp room I know who that is also,.......... when you go in there I don't know who you are." That confused me for a long time, but then the light bulb went off. Be yourself at whatever cost!

I have issues with original material too sometimes.

I honestly think half the reason some of us lean towards the engineering side is that for some reason we may be predisposed to the specifics of recording and playing more so than the actual writing of songs, hooks, riffs ,etc.

That's not to say we're incapable of it, but maybe a little bit TOO obsessive to do it with any enjoyment.

I also have a family and a very busy full time job that takes all my time, so I am left to write on my own without a band. I know this is also a huge limiting factor. I just cannot write an entire song on a guitar without a drummer around to bounce ideas off of. I can write riffs and parts, but transitions, etc. All bets are off.

I have found music theory to be extremely helpful for certain styles of music - but not so much metal. Knowing what chord substitutions work well is great for jazz and funk, but with metal being so rhythmic I don't see many opportunities to interject anything really creative music theory wise. Bottom line is, if it sounds good, it IS good.

I have issues with original material too sometimes.

I honestly think half the reason some of us lean towards the engineering side is that for some reason we may be predisposed to the specifics of recording and playing more so than the actual writing of songs, hooks, riffs ,etc.

That's not to say we're incapable of it, but maybe a little bit TOO obsessive to do it with any enjoyment.

I also have a family and a very busy full time job that takes all my time, so I am left to write on my own without a band. I know this is also a huge limiting factor. I just cannot write an entire song on a guitar without a drummer around to bounce ideas off of. I can write riffs and parts, but transitions, etc. All bets are off.

+1. I cannot compose my own shit anymore due to the fact that i am always worried about this or that aspect of recording. Giving one more shot at a band, tho'...

Irrespective of what others may have said before:

Maybe you are one of the people who just "don't have it"? 90% of all musicians never write anything remotely unique and many never even write at all. If you struggle so much, maybe you are just not made to be a songwriter. There's nothing wrong with that and it's actually liberating to know/accept it.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but I don't have the ability to understand tax law. Others may not have the ability to write music. It's normal.

Maybe you are just too critical of your own stuff and give up too easily. Maybe you just need to force it. If you got an idea, stick with it and finish that goddamn song, no matter how much you think it's a rip-off. Then play it to other people. Maybe you are just over-criticizing yourself and others think it's the awesomest shit ever. Maybe you don't write anything unique because your "unique" attempts are just crap and the "not-so-unique" ideas are actually listenable songs (cause they are not as "far out" or "weird")? Also: If you don't finish anything, you won't find out.

I have been writing songs for 20 years, most of which are ANYTHING but "unique" or "original". Some are just straight rips. Over these 20 years I think I averaged about 50 songs per year (do the math, that is 1000 songs in my lifetime so far!). Some of them I never record. Some I just sing into my iPhone and never listen to them again. My phone, harddrive and even old 4-track tapes are full of riffs, beats, ideas that are called "rock idea 15". Some of them are utter shit. About 20-30 get fully produced every year and 10-20 get officially released. That's only 20% of the songs I finish writing. And I am not even counting the 4-bar ideas here, just the fully written songs.

Music is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration, but most musicians think it's all "play" and some "divine gift" which is frankly bullshit. I recommend buying books on pop-songwriting. They teach you a lot that can be used for any other style too.

Hope this doesn't come across as harsh/condescending, because it isn't meant to be. It's just very difficult for me to phrase it differently :)

When time came for me to finish writing my bands album I was having hell writing anything that I liked. I was trying to let it just come to me like it always has but it didn't happen. I started actually forcing myself to write just a section to a song every day. Since then, I've written some of the best songs I've ever written.

Don't try to write like someone else, just let your natural "flow" come out. The music you listen to will naturally influence what you write and keep you in that style. So what if every riff is not super heavy or progy. Thats what will make your music yours. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. And when you write a riff, try to imagine the crushing drums and vocals along with it.

Mm...bringing the weed discussion into writing music...:p

Smoking weed while writing isn't "fail"....Nor is it "necessary", but I honestly see no difference in my writing ability blazed or not blazed. If you want to write music you're GOING to write music regardless of how high you are or whatnot. And im sorry but unless you do it once every 6 months, theres hardly a "brain not functioning" point that you reach to where you just absolutely could NOT write anything worth a damn. People who don't want to smoke while writing....aren't going to do it simple as that...and thats perfectly fine. But theres no reason to tell someone that they are going to fail at writing because they smoke, considering Jimi Hendrix wrote some of the best music ever meshed together while taking LSD regularly.

Dude, i feel you man. There have been plenty of times where I write a riff or a few riffs together as the start of a song at home and by the end of the night im convinced they're the gayest dumbest things ever. But next time im at band practice and we take a break, i'll ask my drummer to stay back with me and i'll show him the riff and he'll throw down a basic beat to it. 8/10 times the other guys will come running back in and go "dude, what the fuck was that (in the good way haha)?" So i definitely agree that it helps to write with other people. And if you think about it...for most music out there, if you were to listen to just the rythem guitar alone it'd sound pretty stupid/uninteresting. That's what a drummer/bassist/lead guitar/vocals are for haha.

Good luck man!

sometimes i just go over this like when i paint... (yah... ) first comes the free superfun scribble, then you build up till you tighten it enough for yer taste, it's like, you have to work on it, if it appears just like magic, then that's just luck.

I consider myself as a writer... I'm just too creative to not be writing stuff. Many people agree with me IRL, but I haven't found my thing yet... I've written lots of shit but it all feels temporary, and most of it is. I don't put enough time in practise though... I'm constantly focusing on writing stuff, which I really should change... but anyway.

What I wanted to say in this post was that ... when it comes to song writing/originality... whenever I listen to Sikth or Between the Buried and Me, I just realize how fucking inferior I am in regards of song writing... seriously, those 2 bands blow me the fuck away from this planet when it comes to song writing. Between the Buried and Me manages to mix country music, power metal, hard core, death metal, black metal, thrash metal, prog metal... and everything in between, all in one goddamn tasty cocktail, and it's not too much or boring. And Sikth... wow... don't know where to begin to describe their music, it's just beautiful. Disgustingly beautiful haha.