How do YOU define "nu-metal"?

Steve said:
nu-metal

a term used by people (elitists) who think they are too good to listen to certain music, this music being popular or commericialized, not or no longer "underground"

I thought I'd reply to this.. because I think the term 'elitist' gets thrown around a lot.

Here's how it works.
Some people like music that is 'underground'. They might call bands who are more mainstream 'nu-metal'. The fans of the mainstream bands call the 'underground metal' fans 'elitist'. This doesn't mean that said bands are nu-metal, or that I for instance am an elitist.

This is the part where I stray from the subject:

So.. why am I an 'elitist'?
Well.. when I listen to music.. I want to hear GOOD music. If I'd settle for less I could just turn on the radio.

Mainstream music is almost always simple. That's why it's mainstream. If the kids don't get it, they won't buy it. Simple music CAN be good, but in most cases I don't think so. The only exception would be if it's original.. then I might like it.. what was the question again?

Yeah, simple things please simple minds.

As someone else said, Nu-Metal is basically a very watered-down style of thrash with the lyrics beingh replaced by simple pop and borrowing either from rap or punk or electronica or whatever's popular these days. Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesnt.

Funny thing is, with all the definitions that everyone gives nu-metal too, 90% of bands i hear people insultingly refer to as "nu-metal" or "nu-metallish" don't fit these descriptions one bit. It pisses me off, and thats why I cant take it seriously anymore. The term is officialy meaningless now.

Steve said:
the stereotype of american metal sucking is annoying.

NOVEMBERS DOOM
ABAROTH
MAUDLIN OF THE WELL/KAYO DOT

they're all better than most of the acclaimed european bands.

I used to say American music sucks.

Then I realized I listen to Nevermore, Symphony X, Iced Earth, Megadeth, Pantera, and Anthrax.

heh.... the millions of "TRUE NORWIEGAN BLACK METAL" bands are no different with their corpse paint. not that I care, really....

well from what I can tell at least all the "tr00 kvlt black metallers" finally have smartened up a little bit and realized it wasn't smart to criticize Slipknot for their masks.

as for Slipknot themselves, well, although they did help get me into really heavy music, I don't really listen to them any more.... only occasionaly.....although im gonna have to disagree with Nick and say that Iowa was superior to the s/t....

I think Slipknot set a mark for a whole new generation of metal heads. It's sad that 90% of them are probably all part of the hardcore sXe cult thing that is going on in America... then again, I'm happy that a lot of people don't like black metal or death metal. They just don't understand musicianship and skill; they're primarilly in it for the anger and energy. .. and tight clothes with ponny shoes... and whining..

SunlapseVertigo said:
heh.... the millions of "TRUE NORWIEGAN BLACK METAL" bands are no different with their corpse paint. not that I care, really....
That´s true. You put either paint in your face or wear a mask. No difference at all.

both slipknot and some black metal bands look stupid, but the music is the difference. I listened to immortal for over a year before I knew what they looked like and liked them (still do) and never liked slipknot (tried to get into it since wait and bleed was partly good, but it sucked)

Steve said:
both slipknot and some black metal bands look stupid, but the music is the difference. I listened to immortal for over a year before I knew what they looked like and liked them (still do) and never liked slipknot (tried to get into it since wait and bleed was partly good, but it sucked)
true. my point is that i don't really care at all what bands do. im in it only for the music, and I'll take Immortal over Slipknot any day, but im just saying that it really isnt smart for most metalheads to criticize Slipknot for thier "image", seeing how tons of metal bands' image is no different (corpse paint, satanism, etc.....)