how do YOU edit guitar?

SoClose

Oct 10, 2007
theres a nice thread of editing drums. how about a guitar thread?
ive been splicing ,draging and auto-crossfading to make everything really tight. i have noticed some small artifacts but have not yet reamped the tracks.
what are your thoughts on doing things like this?
should it not be an issue and should i only rely on a solid guitar performance?

I don't edit guitar that much to be honest. Like you're already doing, it's easier to edit the DI tracks for sure. I just turn on Automatic Crossfades usually. Sometimes you'll have to edit a break down or something, for that I'd just fade out the tail where it needed to be ect. I am a guitar player so I'm very picky about the performance.

Last thing I did, was cut down a song in short passages, that I recorded on maybe 2 or 3 tracks, - after cleaning/trimming them, I bounced them to one, and had a perfect track for reamping.
If you do this with bass parts you can even make a "mix" before bouncing.

I almost never mess with the recorded tracks. I split the song into different riff sections and just punch in- / out, double or quad track, the go to the next riff. If the performance is good, it will always be spot on. This might not be the ultimate way of doing things, but it works for me. I also monitor through Line 6 plugin but only record the wav. When I´m done, I reamp the lot.

i never really used it before, but ive just got really into using stip silence and batch fades, then adjusting afterwards. god its fast!

other than that chop, move, add fades

cool thanks for the input. i guess im on the right track. reamping the tracks will be the real test as to if the artifacts are problematic.

You shouldn't have artifacts on the edited DI tracks at all. In my experience, DI tracks are really easy to edit.

However, guitarists generally have some fret & picking hand noise (along with amp distortion) so you may find that the artifacts aren't important or audible (as problems) when you reamp.

That said, if the DI tracks are sloppy enough that you can't edit them without any artifacts, I would say you need to do it again. Better.

i agree. ive already made my guitarist rerecord them. ;-)

what do you think about using a noise supressor before the amp on the reamp?

i agree. ive already made my guitarist rerecord them. ;-)

what do you think about using a noise supressor before the amp on the reamp?

PLAY IT AGAIN! :erk: (gotta love those words) :lol:

i've never had the need for a noise supressor.

well im not sure if it will be an issue but the DI im using is a preamp into the alesis io26. this might bring on some noise into my DI. so i was hoping that if there is some noise the noise supressor would take care of it.