How do you get over writers block?

Mar 16, 2010
Hi guys.

Up until last year i was part of a band. we got a taste of success and worked our asses off to get as far as we did. i wont mention who we were etc etc.

anyways. i've recently started trying to write some new music but i'm finding it extremely hard going. i'm not sure if its because i've been playing the same stuff over and over for the past 5 years but it's not happening for me at the moment.

Whats your way of getting over writers block? i've been putting on a few cd's trying to get some inspiration. I can here what i want to play in my head but when it comes to recording it or even playing it on guitar it doesn't happen.

any suggestions?

Hmm.. I usually like to either A. Listen to lots of music I enjoy, that generally gets me in a writing mood or B. Try to do some things in life that I REALLY enjoy or are exciting. That's generally what helps me. Writing for me is an emotional experience *GAYYY :p* so I have to be in the right mindset :)

I listen to music I like or want to write similar to and work out the guitar parts.

More often than not I end up writing a riff or two after adapting something beyond all recognition.

Something I like to do and is good as a writer to practice is to write one riff that you really think stands on its own and is very strong. Take that riff and write riffs/song around it so that riff now becomes a passage
and almost the theme to your song. basically you're just basing the song off that riff

I write with other people whenever I can. Also writing in unfamiliar places, even if it's someone elses house or bedroom. It also helps loads to be slightly ill.

^^this....

my typical scenario:
1. we get to my/my friend's house
2.drink
3.drink
3.drink
4.vomit
5.say that typical sentence "I'll never drink again in my life!"
6. ...drink
7. destroy something (typically a table or bet gets wracked by a accident... sh*t like this always happens)
8. start philosophical debate
9. drink
10. end philosophical debate because of lack of alcohol
11. as you start getting sober (enough to be able to), pick a guitar and start play and sing ridiculous improvisation songs (at this time is around 3'o'clock) so everybody starts to hate you because they have headache and are trying to get some sleep
12. after about 15minutes they give it up and start to sing along
13. drink
14. [ERROR FILE MISSING]
15. [ERROR FILE MISSING]
... [ERROR FILES MISSING]
101. wake up (because it's already lunchtime), get some aspirin and write down what you remember from that song last night :-D

works for me...

^^this....

my typical scenario:
1. we get to my/my friend's house
2.drink
3.drink
3.drink
4.vomit
5.say that typical sentence "I'll never drink again in my life!"
6. ...drink
7. destroy something (typically a table or bet gets wracked by a accident... sh*t like this always happens)
8. start philosophical debate
9. drink
10. end philosophical debate because of lack of alcohol
11. as you start getting sober (enough to be able to), pick a guitar and start play and sing ridiculous improvisation songs (at this time is around 3'o'clock) so everybody starts to hate you because they have headache and are trying to get some sleep
12. after about 15minutes they give it up and start to sing along
13. drink
14. [ERROR FILE MISSING]
15. [ERROR FILE MISSING]
... [ERROR FILES MISSING]
101. wake up (because it's already lunchtime), get some aspirin and write down what you remember from that song last night :-D

works for me...

That is probably one of the best things I have read today :lol:

Try playing a different instrument, even if you don't really know what you're doing, coz more often than not the note choices you make will be different to those that you make with your regular instrument which could unveil some creative paths you wouldn't have come across otherwise.

Also as cliche as it sounds, if im really having a hard time coming up with anything ill smoke a joint and try again.

Thats just me though

EDIT: Oh yeah and the most important point man, don't force it. I find its better to detox for a week then try rather than sitting there every day drawing the same musical blanks

Try playing a different instrument, even if you don't really know what you're doing, coz more often than not the note choices you make will be different to those that you make with your regular instrument which could unveil some creative paths you wouldn't have come across otherwise.

Also as cliche as it sounds, if im really having a hard time coming up with anything ill smoke a joint and try again.

Thats just me though

EDIT: Oh yeah and the most important point man, don't force it. I find its better to detox for a week then try rather than sitting there every day drawing the same musical blanks
^
scarily close to the exact advice id give.. except i use a vaporizer these days ;)

Just write. Put all your ideas on paper/midi/whatever. Writing is a process which consists of everything that might eventually lead you to the result. Write down even the shittiest idea you come up with. Writing can be in a way, a "collaborative process" even if you do it alone. The shitty riff might inspire you to write a second riff, which might be the awesomest riff ever. Maybe you'll come up with a weak melody idea, what will eventually inspire you to write a great chord progression. The end result can be magical and full of emotion even when the process of doing it isn't. You don't have to wait for the inspiration. Just do it. A great song is a result of determined work. Put aside your self-criticism and enjoy the process. Decide to come up with great ideas and write contigously and succeeding will become inevitable.

Work on your skill to translate the ideas in your head to music with your ideas. If you can come up with musical ideas in your head, but can't actualize them with an instrument, just slow things doing. Try to sing the melody, play it with a differen't instrument. You'll find it sooner or later.

You might also find this video helpful:

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking an extended break (weeks) can be very helpful.

But also there is the old "frustrate the creative process" method. You create until you are sick of it then sleep on it, then you create till you are sick of it then sleep on it, then you do it again and usually by the third or fourth session something great will pop out. Might have to wait two nights after the third "frustration". Dont be afraid to scrap everything that came before, its just a warm up. Lots of writers use that method.

For me, I have used the extended break method a lot. Works well but albums take forever to make. :)

Cheers,

Colin

I take more drugs...... Or less drugs. Or have your girl ripp your heart out of you chest and feed it to some trendy douche in leather shoes who wears calvin klein

Just write. Put all your ideas on paper/midi/whatever. Writing is a process which consists of everything that might eventually lead you to the result. Write down even the shittiest idea you come up with. Writing can be in a way, a "collaborative process" even if you do it alone. The shitty riff might inspire you to write a second riff, which might be the awesomest riff ever. Maybe you'll come up with a weak melody idea, what will eventually inspire you to write a great chord progression. The end result can be magical and full of emotion even when the process of doing it isn't. You don't have to wait for the inspiration. Just do it. A great song is a result of determined work. Put aside your self-criticism and enjoy the process. Decide to come up with great ideas and write contigously and succeeding will become inevitable.

Work on your skill to translate the ideas in your head to music with your ideas. If you can come up with musical ideas in your head, but can't actualize them with an instrument, just slow things doing. Try to sing the melody, play it with a differen't instrument. You'll find it sooner or later.

You might also find this video helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijtQP9nwrQA

I seriously owe you the WORLD to turning my eyes and mind onto this video. This is something I've been pondering and struggling with for some time and a topic that intrigues me QUITE a bit and John Cleese seems to be saying EXACTLY what I've been trying to say or FIGURE OUT for quite some time.

You ever need anything, hit me up. Dead serious. =D
:headbang: