how do you guys pan/mix your guitars?

3tuxedo

Apr 2, 2011
whatsup guys, i know the topic of mixing guitars comes all all the freaking time, but im more interested in how/where you pan them. i am trying to work with some more punk type stuff? (yellowcard ect.) i dont know if that is punk but whatever. and i was wondering how you guys will mixing your guitars together when they are doing like harmonized/different power chords. i normally pan to the left and right but this sounds off for this kind of music, im not sure maybe some of you have good input.

For distorted guitars you always want to, at least, double track each guitar. Quad tracking is not unusual. It gives the respective guitar a much wider, in depth feel to it. I've had Mixes where I pan both left takes <100% and both right takes >100%. I've also had mixes where I pan <100%, <35%, >100%, >35%. Just depends on what your going for. Nothing is wrong unless it sounds like utter shit.

alright well that makes sense, but what do you do with leads? i mean do you do double tracked on left and right and lead in the middle? because if not it is so unbalanced.

Personally I only hard pan, i.e left 100% and right 100% for both leads and rythym.

And if you have a single lead guitar just bop it in the middle, it gets muddy if you bop loads of stuff in at 35% haha

but doesn't that make it uneven? like lots of stuff on the one side and not much on the other?

i asked Joey this a while ago, he only double tracks now, one guitar left 100% one right 100%, if there is a lead its in the center. its more of leaving room in the center and widens the mix

one guitar left 100% one right 100%, if there is a lead its in the center. its more of leaving room in the center and widens the mix

So if there is a lead, then he has 100% right, 100% left, and the lead in the center?

maybe im doing something wrong but when i only pan 100 both ways the guitars sound really thin.

It depends on what kind of lead it is. If it's a lead part that you really want to showcase, then you would double track it for width and pan like 10% in each direction, or almost center. Otherwise, keep the guitar on it's respective side, assuming you are working with two guitarists.

I always try to pan and use reverb as you would experience in a real-life situation. For instance, I like to keep my left guitarists playing on the left and right on the right. I try to pan drums from the audience perspective of a right handed drummer, etc.

Hope I have inspired some thoughts or answered your question. Because if you want a straight up answer, you're not going to find one. Music production has no limits, no boundaries and no rules. Everything is a possibility. Nothing is right and nothing is wrong, unless it sounds like shit.

For the rhythm (when double tracking), I always pan 100% left and right. When it comes to panning leads or other guitar parts, i always think about how "in your face" I want them to be. If I want them to be "in your face" then I pan them center or maybe slight off the center (really slightly). If I want them hidden or just to "vibe in" then I would pan them maybe around 30-50% left or right.