How do you guys psyche yourselves up before tracking?

Eschatologist

Jun 15, 2008
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Well? How do you guys put yourselves in he best state of mind for performance? Me, I do a FAT line of coke before each take.

jk! :heh: But I do blast one of my favourite discs, particularly if it has the same vibe of the tune I wanna track. Sometimes I'll slam a Redbull...and coffee for particularly taxing tunes. What do you guys do?

well if thunder bay is anything like peterborough, then you might not have been joking about the coke! lol

seriously, I tell myself "if anyone criticizes my playing, I`ll blame the engineer. All my stupid musician friends will believe me!"

hehe well imho doing a FAT line of coke before each take would cost way too much and I'm cheap like that. :saint: But when I was a total n00b I came with a lot of energy and adrenaline and blabla and then realized it was not the attitude to have at all. This kind of attitude is good for a sprint but not for a marathon and recording an instrument is more similar to a marathon. So instead of coke I would go with a speed hehe jk. :p Actually when I record I don't drink beer and nothing, I drink ice tea and when my brain is being all numb naturally then I might take a break and smoke some pot. But I go in with no adrenalin rush. Being "zen" is the key for me. No impatience, no rush, no AAAAAAARGH because there will be AAAAAAARGHS, etc.

I (if I need to) tell myself that the need to prepair mentally is an illusion and then I just get on with it.

:p

The same way I prepare for any other day that requires a any kind of mental or physical stress.

-Wake up around 6:30am.
-Go for a run or bicycle ride.
-Shower/shit/brush teeth/deoderant/cologne/nipple clamps/whatever
-Eat a solid breakfast.
-Drink my morning tea.
-Ready to get shit started by 8:00am

No other way for me - get's me prepared for tracking myself, other people, going to school, big tests, long drives, early shifts at work, etc...

i masturbate before tracking :)

imagept5.jpg

I never really had much of a preperation routine, and for some reason I never thought other people would. I feel fairly surprised by this whole thread but it's encouraged me to try and get some sort of routine going before tracking.
I usually just plug my shit in, turn on the amp and let it warm up if it's getting used, grab a cup of tea or a cup of coffee, have a quick cigarette and then get on with it.

ive found that playing level of hitman, splinter cell or some other tactial shoot-em up game really gets me in the mood.

does anyone have a thing for milk while tracking? i dont drink tea or coffee so its the red bull that keeps me going. but latley ive been finding that a big fuck off flavoured milk really keeps me in the zone.

set the left and right locators, turn on cycle, take a deep breath, hit record.