How do you isolate the snare mic from the HiHat/OH?

You mean less OH and hat in the snare mic or less snare in the OH and HH mic?

If you want less snare in the OH and HH mic then it's a "where you put those mics" issue.

If you want less cymbol then you could grab a square of auralex and make a shield that goes around the capsule (I have done this for both the kick and the snare mics and it worked great).

Or I think you can just buy them if you want (those 4 things in front are what I am talking about):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AuralXpander/

Or if you have more money to blow :lol::

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IRF/

I want less OH in the snare mic :)

Thanks for your reply! I'll look into that.

work on your position of the overheads,

what i found that works is point a space pair of overheads almost facing a 45% of axis center towards the walls in a normal spaced paid position , low 12-18" over the groups of cymbals. i also run 3 close cymbal mics, ride china splash's etc just to have isolated tracks

work on your position of the overheads,

what i found that works is point a space pair of overheads almost facing a 45% of axis center towards the walls in a normal spaced paid position , low 12-18" over the groups of cymbals. i also run 3 close cymbal mics, ride china splash's etc just to have isolated tracks

Thanks man, but I want less cymbals in the snare mic..

One of the biggest factors is IMO the room. No matter what I try, in my crappy room I get tons of hihat in my snare mic (and everywhere). No problems in a professional studio. Room + mic placement is your best bet. Oh, and the usual "make sure the drummer is balancing his snare vs hihat.. blah blah".

its all placement.....
Tell the drummer, 'your gonna need to move your hats away from your snare if you want a killer snare sound'

Then when he moves it a centimetre come back and say, 'REALLY' move it

Sneak in some extra hihat drummer's monitor mix.

When he hears how he's murdering the hihat, he'll back down a little, and it might help with the bleed into the snare mic.

Sneak in some extra hihat drummer's monitor mix.

When he hears how he's murdering the hihat, he'll back down a little, and it might help with the bleed into the snare mic.

I've tried that a couple of times. The only thing it lead to was that the drummer asked for less hihat in the cans.

Another good thing is to try to get the drummer to not have his hihat so damn open. This can really mess up their playing though as I've noticed many drummers taking the opportunity to "rest" a bit on hihat parts since it's less defined. Things like this are always very annoying, you'd like to tell the drummer to go home and practice on his technique for a few days but there's no time for that

I've tried that a couple of times. The only thing it lead to was that the drummer asked for less hihat in the cans.

Another good thing is to try to get the drummer to not have his hihat so damn open. This can really mess up their playing though as I've noticed many drummers taking the opportunity to "rest" a bit on hihat parts since it's less defined. Things like this are always very annoying, you'd like to tell the drummer to go home and practice on his technique for a few days but there's no time for that

then telll him youve turned it down, and reach for the DFA fader so the band think you have too.

P.s
I deesser can work if its already recorded

Gates and de-essers (EQ),..

Other than that, it's just techniques! :)

Good luck.