How do you record Metal guitars?

ashs35

Oct 29, 2009
I'm currently trying to use 2 condenser microphones to record my guitars cos I don't have any better mics at the moment, just wondering whether I am wasting my time trying to get a good sound with them or not?

Also, not sure how guitars are usually panned, for some reason I'm under the impression they're usually panned left 90, right 90 and lead in the middle, is that right?

Also are they usually recorded just one track either side or are multiple takes necessary as well, I need to be able to get my guitars sounding as heavy as possible, would appreciate any advice.

Currently recording with built in distorion on my 8 track, samples can be heard here: http://www.indabamusic.com/#!/people/107461767

Totally depends on what mics. What amp and cab are you playing through? If you're only tracking one guitar per side I think 100 right, 100 left works great. Lead in the middle, if you have two playing a harmony or such you could pan them a little (25L/25R for example).

You can dual or quad track, really it's up to you if you feel like it's worth the extra time it takes to track everything twice. Tracking each side twice (quad tracking) will give you a fater sound IF the playing is tight.

The general consciousness around here is that you really can't go wrong with an SM57 for recording guitars. Oh and watch this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Using an ashton quad with metal zone pedal and behringer condensors, not the best equipment, so do most bands record using only 'one' sm57 and do 4 tracks for rythm? & if so how would that be panned? or do they use 2 sm57's and do 2 tracks? and with lead is it necessary to record with 2 mics simultaneously or is one ok? appreciate the post man, good info.

There's no norm for how you track guitars. Do it the way you think it'll benefit the mix and material. Some engineers record with 1 sm57 and track 2 times, some 4 times. Others record with 2 sm57 and track 2 times, some 4 times. Some record with an Audix i5, others with Condenser mics. I think that you can't go wrong with an sm57 though, at least not if you're new.

Same thing goes for panning, there are different approaches. Do what sounds good with the inner tracks when quad tracking. Around 80 to 90% is pretty normal, though you'll want to turn down the volume on the inner tracks. You'll have to try it out yourself really, but be careful when tracking more technical stuff, it's probably better to just dual track it and save the quad tracking for slower/easier parts. This can also result in some desierable effects such as making the chorus have a bigger impact with the 2 extra guitars kicking in

You don't necessarily have to record with 2 mics when recording a solo, no. If it sounds better than with 1 mic then by all means do it.

cool man, so it's possible to get a big enough sound by using just one mic with 2 tracks?

Yeap, if you have a good bass guitar and player. It's pretty much the bass that makes guitars heavy.

just recorded 2 tracks with one condensor mic panned 100 either way, kinda sounds ok but still has something wrong with it, any ideas as to what it might be? ive recorded like this before and the same kind of sound keeps happening not sure what it is

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2761574/200%20mix.mp3

It looks like everything that needed to be said has been said. Your guitar tone sounds a bit muted and muddy, could be a string, pickup, EQ or playing problem. Mess around with your mics, get a 57 'cause you really can't go wrong with those, or get something with pod farm if you don' want to deal with mics and want a decent amp sim. Dual tracking is easiest, quad tracking works if the playing is SPOT ON. "Experiment to taste."

I usualy use the Spinal Puppet amp model, with Treadplate 4 X 12 cabinet emulation, Condenser Mic On Axis, 10 % AIR, 0% reverb, then I record 4 tracks panned 100 % left and right.
On the two first tracks, I don't use any compression effect on the POD, nor any stomp.
On last ones, I may add some Tube Screamer emulation to the general tone, just to add a bite more bite.

Then, everything is a question of mix and experience.

I think the POD, hardware or software, is the closest to pro sound solution if you don't have the right gears, I mean a top-end amp head, a good cabinet, a SM57 or a high-end cabinet simulator, a good studio preamp, etc.
You can do a lot with it, even if it's not so much pleasant to use.

Maybe other sneapsters here don't agree with it or have another experience, but I can say that the POD XT helped me a lot to understand how a metal guitar sound tone worked.

I've Just downloaded metal amp room and have got it going through reaper, it sounds good but for some reason I can hear more clean than distortion, any ideas as to what this would be?

Do you use software/effect monitoring (sound after being effected), hardware monitoring (sound BEFORE being effected) or a mixed monitoring ?
Id you still hear the clean guitar, it is because you still can hear the unprocessed signal while recording. I think the trouble disappears while the track is played.
Tell me.

yea sounds like it must be mixed monitoring, (sound before & after effect) simultaneously, can I turn off sound before effect and yet keep sound after effect?

I've tried by turning the line in down on the computer but all it eliminates is the distortion and keeps the clean sound which doesn't really make sense.

There are two solutions to your problem.

In the options of Reaper (which I don't use, so I these are just expectations), you might have the choice between several monitoring modes.

Or maybe the soundcard you are working with allows you to choose the monitoring mode (use the mix software of the interface to fix it maybe).

Tell me.

yea there are 3 monitoring options which are monitoring off (clean guitar), monitoring on (clean & distorted) & monitoring auto (clean & distorted). I really need to be able to 'not' monitor the clean sound and yet still hear the distorted sound, but I dunno if that's possible, might have to contact soft tube.

I figured it out, the clean guitar going into the computer was too loud so I turned it down and it seems ok now, cool program btw