Looking for feedback on this track

Seagurt

New Metal Member
Mar 26, 2017
Quebec
This is the second mix I am attempting, and I just wanted to know what people think. Suggestions?

I am using Superior drummer for the drums, guitars are a 5150iii EVH preamp out direct into my interface and running through cab impulses. Guitars are panned 90% left and right, with a send to reverb panned hard right and left (left guitar reverb panned 100% left, same with right.) There is some eq'ing going on on all instruments, mostly cuts, though I did boost the snare around 400hz to get more attack.

This is still a piece that is progressing, and I am looking forward to your feedback, in the interest of improving my craft, and also in the interest of learning.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

well black metal style stuff is not really my thing but to get that particular sound I would change the beater emphasis of the kick and make the snare less "clean" - if you are indeed not going for the blackened sound which your guitars are pretty much hitting then I would start changing a lot

good luck!:)

For me a kick drum is too loud while your snare vice versa is too quiet. Also don't like some muddiness in your guitars tone, I wish they would have more "in a face" sound

I totally agree, I listened to the mix on another system, and those were the things I noticed as well.

I will keep on with removing some mud from the guitars.

to get that particular sound I would change the beater emphasis of the kick and make the snare less "clean" - if you are indeed not going for the blackened sound which your guitars are pretty much hitting then I would start changing a lot

good luck!:)

I was going for an Enslaved Isa style kick, but I agree, less attack on the high end (4k or so).

As for the guitar sound, I am not necessarily going for necro black metal, but a hybrid of black (the high end and mid highs) and death metal (Lower end and mids)

As for the part about "changing alot", could you be a tad more specific?

Thanks for the input so far!

I
As for the guitar sound, I am not necessarily going for necro black metal, but a hybrid of black (the high end and mid highs) and death metal (Lower end and mids)

As for the part about "changing alot", could you be a tad more specific?

Thanks for the input so far!
As for me, I don't think you should make huge changes of your mix - it has good overall tone and sounds interesting. Try to find a balance between your instrument's tone. For example, your drums tone has huge low end and pretty ambient overheads(which is typical for deathcore sound), but your guitars are classical black/death sound. Also, your bass doesn't sits in the mix, it's loud, but it doesn't gluing your mix together, try to compress it better.

Hi, here my review:
-kick too loud, and have lot of mids that need a cut
-guitars too boxy, not filtered enought in the low end and a bit too loud
-too much energy under 40Hz
-bass fighting with others instruments

So I made a few changes regarding some suggestions presented here.

There is still work to be done, such as guitar retracking in some parts, but feel free to let me know how this mix fares.

Man, looks like you went to the wrong way.

1. Why did you changed your guitar tone so drastically? You could solve a problem with guitars in a previous mix just by panning them to 100% removing reverb tracks and making them lower for some db. Now your guitars have too much mids, your previous tone was more interesting for me(consider that it's just my personal taste).
2. Your drums now are too quiet. Instead of lowering a kick's level so much I would make an overall drums level bigger for a couple of db's.