How do you usually treat your drums samples?

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
I usually record samples of every drumkit I record and before the mixing process I check what I can do with these samples. If there is something good I start to eq and compress them to achieve the sound I want...they can become really processed.
So...do you usually take your samples pretty natural and dry or do you try to get a nice processed sound?

I usually Layer different samples instead of boosting with eq something that particular sample doesn't have... for snare it can be 2 to 4 samples, very different from each other

My approach it to use quite a bit of compression and eq un drums bus instead of single elements, i also use quite a lot of Room samples to get a big room sound, reverbs do not do the trick for me...

BTW, check these guys i've just mixed!

http://www.myspace.com/shutusdownmetal

This post is quite interesting, I wonder how you guys process your samples, you compress, then you eq, you compress again, add saturation, you clip the sample....¿?
My DAW is Sonar X1 but I find easier editing my samples into Soundforge...I open the fx chain and start experimenting...then process, cut and export....

I found with time what i should've found at the beggening, superior drummer sounds REALLY amazing by itself, so if you have a good setup on sd, keep the balance in that setup while you relpace sounds, and it'll be a damn shorter way for setting up a virtual drumkit! it may seem shitty as it sounds but i've spent quite some time trying to figure it out haha

THE way to make your drums work better with everything (for me): sidechain. PERIOD. Oh and i try to eq as few as possible, i don't go putting eq's all over the place, just hi-lo pass where needed but not messing with the sound, only where my ears tell me after hearing stuff a million times.