How good PC for no-latency?

MrLee

Jul 31, 2006
Oslo, Norway
Im thinking about impulses.. my problem is that it is so difficult to tweak the sound when I cant listen to the prosessed (with cab sim) sound while tweaking..

I got like 1 sec latency with my macbook ( :puke: ) and firepod. Is it the Firepod or the mac witch is the problem? or both? :p

So, which Dell desktop should I buy? :)
Or is there any other tricks/stuff to buy?

Thanks! :)

Dont go any less than dual core processing and at least 2gb ram with faster-the-better bus speed.
Here's what I would suggest for ideal:
quad-core 2+ghz
4gb ddr2 ram
pci-e
firewire
1066 or 1333 bus speeds
decent graphics card to run dual lcd monitors for easier editing

You have to set the latency.
I used to use macbook pro and firepod with impulses in real time...and before the mac, I used a single core amd with no problems.

Yeah, I know how to set the latency.. but when set it to low it doesent work, just much ugle noise..

But the Firepod is not the problem? only the computer?

If all your drivers and whatnot are up-to-date the only thing that strikes a chord upstairs for me would be your computer's power or lack of...
care to share your computer specs? (single or multi-core, speed, system ram, bus speed, etc) that would help us to better understand and try to help.

y, its a macbook 2ghz Core 2 duo. 2gb ram 667mhz fsb. Its to a laptop sooo.. its does not have enought power for multiple plug ins (lots of drumagog and reverbs ++)
I have tried to record 8 track (drums) at the same time.. it fuckes up terrible..
Im using firewire 400 external harddrive, better than the internal..
Real time monitoring is not possible.

Im buying a new DESKTOP computer, if the Firepod is not a problem..
Is Intel xeon or I7 the best?

y, its a macbook 2ghz Core 2 duo. 2gb ram 667mhz fsb. Its to a laptop sooo.. its does not have enought power for multiple plug ins (lots of drumagog and reverbs ++)
I have tried to record 8 track (drums) at the same time.. it fuckes up terrible..
Im using firewire 400 external harddrive, better than the internal..
Real time monitoring is not possible.

Im buying a new DESKTOP computer, if the Firepod is not a problem..
Is Intel xeon or I7 the best?

your macbook should be perfectly capable of working with audio efficiently. Yes a new i7 based desktop would be a big improvement, but lack of power is unlikely to be the root of the problems you're having.

Have you tried running the firepod without the external disk plugged in?
What chipset is in your firewire controller?
and i'll ask this even though it's a mac, is there anything running in the background?

Really? Nothing in the background of course..
Im running the external disk trough the firepod because they both use firewire and I only got one firewire 400 on my macbook..
Im actually using my cubase 4 studio in windows xp on the macbook, not in osx.. Should that be a problem?
I guess I can try in osx, but cant see what difference it should have..

Im running the external disk trough the firepod because they both use firewire and I only got one firewire 400 on my macbook..
Im actually using my cubase 4 studio in windows xp on the macbook, not in osx.. Should that be a problem?

If you can try running the firepod without the external disk attached, that would rule out 1 possibility

It should work fine in windows xp so long as you got the correct drivers.

if you don't have a texas instruments firewire chipset, that could be the problem.

check you've got ASIO drivers installed for your firepod (ASIO DirectX is not right)

also, running on OS X will be even less latency than windows, thanks to CoreAudio on OS X. a macbook can easily handle 8 tracks.

desktop PC - if you're set on getting one, Core i7 is where it's at. but if you can afford it, xeon's will outperform i7's.

thanks,

:guh:
why the fu......
nevermind....I can't say this without being insulting

is Cubase maybe not paid for?

:guh:
why the fu......
nevermind....I can't say this without being insulting

is Cubase maybe not paid for?

Hehe, no my Cubase i legal! I bought it and registered it!

Its just that I experienced many bugs in osx (plug ins suddenly disepeared from the track etc.) and everything went flawless in xp (exept latency from hell:p) .. Dont know why, but xp was easier to work with, maybe because I used xp for serval years..

yeah, and LOTS more plugs for windows.. (free ones of course :) )