How I shall upgrade my "homestudio"?

Peurastaja

New Metal Member
Jan 1, 2012
Tampere, Finland
www.mikseri.net
Alright, so, I have bought a couple of months ago an Zoom R24 Audio Interface/Daw Controller/Mixer/Sampler and Audix F7 drum mics and at the moment I don't have no idea how to upgrade my stuff/gear (yes indeed, I am a beginner with this stuff), any help?

room treatment.... bad room = bad sound.... my gear is noobish relative to yours and my next step will be to do something about that room I suppose to record in.

The best rule of thumb for buying gear goes like this:

1) What are you trying to accomplish with your recording setup? Personal demos? Recording other people? Full band or one instrument at a time? Etc.

2) What is your #1 problem right now with your setup?

For example, if your mixes aren't translating, then monitors and treatment are avenues you should explore. If you're interested in doing full band recording, but are running out of inputs, well then you know what you need to do. So on and so forth.

The bottom line is, ignore what everyone else says and take stock of your personal situation and your upgrade path will be clear. Then just do a ton of research on different products in the area that you've identified and make yourself as informed as possible.

Monitors and room treatment. I can make a great mix on a free audio program with a Mackie console if I have a decent sized room with bass traps, treatments and a pair of great monitors.

The best rule of thumb for buying gear goes like this:

1) What are you trying to accomplish with your recording setup? Personal demos? Recording other people? Full band or one instrument at a time? Etc.

2) What is your #1 problem right now with your setup?

For example, if your mixes aren't translating, then monitors and treatment are avenues you should explore. If you're interested in doing full band recording, but are running out of inputs, well then you know what you need to do. So on and so forth.

The bottom line is, ignore what everyone else says and take stock of your personal situation and your upgrade path will be clear. Then just do a ton of research on different products in the area that you've identified and make yourself as informed as possible.
Best advice ever....

I guess I've said this a billion times already, but getting some decent headphones and getting used to them will be far cheaper than monitors and treatment. The monitors and treatment thing is kinda the holy grail of audio production, the icing on the cake if you will. Getting monitors superior to good headphones in a well treated room will cost a fortune.

Yeah, I just got my ath m50s and literally heard actual musical bass in my music for the first time.

I guess I've said this a billion times already, but getting some decent headphones and getting used to them will be far cheaper than monitors and treatment. The monitors and treatment thing is kinda the holy grail of audio production, the icing on the cake if you will. Getting monitors superior to good headphones in a well treated room will cost a fortune.

Not sure I totally agree with this, but each to their own.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I consider monitors the "icing on the cake" but I will say you get 10x more for your money with headphones vs. monitors. That said, if you have clients and no monitors you'll look sort of silly passing them "the good headphones" which has to at least be a consideration. It really comes down to what you have to spend though.