How is everyone's training going?

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I circuit train because, for what I want to achieve, it's the best type of exercise. My class is the 'milxtreme' military training circuits at the world famous Rooney's gym in London. Classes vary, but more or less it's similiar to crossfit...we also do lots of other stuff based on gym Mark Twight's method. Basically, tons of pullups, pushups, squats, rings, kettle bells, etc. It shreds body fat like a motherfucker and builds lean muscle. Your stamina goes through the roof, too. I used to train in San Diego at Undisputed (downtown) and it was awesome. I stopped doing Muay Thai (sadly) here and regular boxing too, because the classes were just too easy. The new program I've been doing is great.

Anyone else train in a similiar manner? Gone are the days of old fashioned body building training. Circuit training is superior for overall fitness.

olympic rings are used for pullups, dips, muscle ups etc. kettle bells, well...used for swings, raises more squats etc.

most of the best workouts ive ever had have been nothing but body weight. but by no means are all of the stations in a circuit set up like that. but most of them are. often times we hold plates and squat, perform pushups on medicine balls, with plates on our backs etc, on dumb bells, etc. we use the olympic bar quite often for clean and press etc.

we also mix up the circuit types. the tabata circuit is great. it's executing an exercise nonstop for 20 seconds then resting for 10 seconds then back to exercising etc...and you do it 8 rounds and then move on to another station. usually 4 of them. it's intense, especially when you try to do pull exercises.

10987654321 is another great one. 4 exercises, non stop and you do 10 reps of one, then move to the next exercise then on again, etc, and then return to the first exercise and do 9 then 8 etc, down to 1. last time i did that it was deadlifts (the next night my back was so sore i could hardly walk lol), ring dips (ouch), ring pullups (felt so good) and regular crunches. the trick is just doing it all the way through without stopping, at least not for any long period of time - just enough for 3 or 4 deep breaths. then to finish 25 burpees and pushups until failure.

training is so fun. my gym is closed today and im pissed...im dying to go (as you can probably tell haha).

everyone at the gym, at least in this program, trains very, very hard. there's lots of sweat. in fact, it's so dirty and grimy that i got a staph infection a few months ago that wont go away unless i stop training there. but i wont lol.

ok, well I don't know what you're overall goal is, muscle mass, stamina, um? you just seem to ranting on and on.

I'm just here responding to your previous statement that the days of body building training are over, which to me is telling that you're neglecting weight training? anyways, my point is is that from my own experience body weight alone does little in gaining muscle mass, which is my goal and I'm sure the goal of most people who train. Body weight alone can increase your stamina, and make you incredibly lean, but weak as far as overall mass is considered.

Circuit training is awesome for shedding body fat and increasing stamina, but to completely neglect weight training is swinging to far to the opposite end of the spectrum. Unless you don't want any bulk at all I guess.

I am working on changing my running style, and once I have that where I want it, I intend to start adding some circuit training. Probably this fall.

I despise weight training. I dont necessarily Circuit train, but that is the direction I am moving in. I honestly dont know much about Training in general, but overall I want a physique like Bruce Lee , not something like Classic Arnie;finely tuned muscles. That said, i realize that weights or at least elastics would be needed for me to get there

Bruce Lee used some weight, but I think it was more rep based than serious weight increases.

@Vihris if he happens to check this thread:

After a few weeks of this different running style, my lower legs are really starting to show a difference, also noticing more explosiveness.

i lifted regularly for about 6 years and was definitely bigger than i am now. ive trimmed down A LOT....about 15 or 20 pounds probably. i used to weigh 198, my heaviest ever, with little fat. now im about 175 or a little over.

i definitely feel 'weaker' when i decide to lift now-a-days, meaning i can't use the same weight i once could. but i feel overall much more 'fit' since i started to train in circuits. im liking lean muscle tone more than bulky muscle mass, but of course it depends what a person's goal is. train for what you want to achieve. im just saying that you probably would feel more overall 'in shape' if you did something like circuit training rather than just body building.

quess I started weight lifting in 2003 and I have been doing weekly boxing classes for over a year. though since I dont have enough time I had to stop doing boxing
I dont have any programm. I just go to the gym, get tired and go home

I train too much probably, I'm gunna slow down during summer once I get a full time job (personal trainer, almost certified). I weight lift every day (many different kinds such as strength endurance, maximal strength, sometimes just body weight etc), walk everywhere, teach a muay thai class in the morning, take a muay thai class at night, do some kali/filipino martial arts and krav maga style stuff and then come home and do more jump rope and core training. It'd be nice to give myself a rest but I'm an endorphin and challenge junkie I guess and I just love pushing myself while listening to music; I hyperextended my knee yesterday and the fact that I couldn't do anything today but Kali this morning is driving me crazy. I might have to do some core tonight just to get some exercise in but I can hardly walk so pretty much everything else is out of the question.

I weighed 150 lbs with about 9% body fat when I graduated high school in 2003. I now weigh 145 lbs with (probably) slightly higher body fat, because I'm not as active. I practice Aikido twice per week for about an hour each day because it's not really an option to practice any more often than that when you sleep all day and work evenings and nights. I do have a pair of dumbbells that I rarely use and I've been thinking about getting wrist and ankle weights, but those are probably against the rules in my work place.

Honestly though, I'm not that concerned about working out because I'm lucky enough to just be in shape naturally and I have no family history of any non smoking-related illnesses. My only real motivation to work out would be to fill out my chest and arms a bit more, but that would be purely aesthetic, since I'm already stronger than I look and strength is virtually irrelevant to the practice of Aikido anyway.

I train too much probably, I'm gunna slow down during summer once I get a full time job (personal trainer, almost certified). I weight lift every day (many different kinds such as strength endurance, maximal strength, sometimes just body weight etc), walk everywhere, teach a muay thai class in the morning, take a muay thai class at night, do some kali/filipino martial arts and krav maga style stuff and then come home and do more jump rope and core training. It'd be nice to give myself a rest but I'm an endorphin and challenge junkie I guess and I just love pushing myself while listening to music; I hyperextended my knee yesterday and the fact that I couldn't do anything today but Kali this morning is driving me crazy. I might have to do some core tonight just to get some exercise in but I can hardly walk so pretty much everything else is out of the question.

Cool, man! Sounds like we'd get along well - I am addicted to working out. I can't go more than a day without going to the gym. It affects my sleep and my mood...it's almost like a drug I'm so dependent on it. Don't know if that's normal lol?

I used to train MT in San Diego at a cool gym. The training was awesome and the technique is fucking amazing. It's so deadly. Knees and Elbows are just nasty. I miss training MT.

Necroing this for my own selfish reasons. I'm looking for advice. I want to start going to the gym, but I'm not sure about what to do.

I weigh about 190, 6'4", skinny and with no real muscle mass. My legs are too bulky. I basically want to slim my legs down and gain some mass, especially on my shoulders/upper arms. I'd also like to gain some definition. Obviously the thing to do is to start running and lifting free weights, but should I be lifting as much as I can, or going for more repetitions, or something in the middle? Should I do bench press or incline press? Also, I've been told to alternate biceps and triceps on different days - biceps and back muscles one day, triceps and chest the other. Realistically I'll be able to go to the gym at most three times a week (MWF in the mornings), and I'll only be able to get in about 30-45 minutes (plus a quick run there and back). Anyways, clearly there are some people on here who know what they're talking about, so I thought I'd get some advice.

The other thing is diet; I eat decently but not great (no prepared foods, vegetables, protein, etc, but I don't really pay attention or count calories or whatever. Is it necessary to change my diet? What are good foods to eat for building muscle. Also, I knew some guys who were into various protein shakes; are those worthwhile, and what should I use and when?

Lol Uneasy_Conscience, kickboxing classes too easy? The best gyms in the UK are in London. 2x world champion (not that that really means anything in martial arts these days) coaches at my university dammit, I can assure you his classes are not easy. Did you check out KO or any of the other less commercial places?

WeAreInFlames - the fastest way to put on noticeable muscle mass to look better is to lift free weights and to eat a caloric surplus (i.e. to take in more calories per day than you use up/shit out). The balance of calories isn't particularly important, just try not to eat stupid shit and try to eat as much protein as you can. The reason most people take protein shakes is because they read in Men's Health that it gives you firm titties. The reasons most clever people take protein shakes are: a.) it's a cheap and easy source of protein, b.) it's extremely difficult to eat 5000 calories of solid food in a day if you aren't fat/doing a fuckload of exercise - getting some of those calories in liquid form makes it easier.

3 45 minute sessions a week is fine for your purposes. You want to usually rep in the 8-12 rep area, with 3 to 4 sets per exercise (as a general rule). Aim for about 15-20 sets per workout total in the time you have. The way you split the body parts up doesn't particularly matter, just try not to train the same body part two workouts in a row to start with. My workout at the moment is:

Workout A: Squat - 3 sets of 5 reps
Shoulder press - 3 sets of 5 reps
Weighted dips - 3 sets of 8 reps
Either tricep extensions, more shoulder work, ab work, whatever I fancy etc. - 4 or 5 sets of ~10 reps on the end

Workout B: Deadlift - 3 sets of 5 reps
Pullups - Sets to 50 pullups (however many it takes)
Bent over row - 3 sets of 5 reps
Extra back/bicep stuff

My workout is more for strength than size (3-5 reps is generally to increase strength, 8-12 reps to increase size, 15+ reps for endurance), and is pretty short and oversimplified cuz I don't have much time to work out at the moment. It gives you an idea though.

These are all generalisations of course, and there are plenty other ways to get fit and strong. I'd say this is the quickest and easiest way through - crossfit stuff like uneasy_conscience does is really tough, and takes longer to put noticeable mass on, but will get you much fitter and lose you bodyweight. It's also very mentally draining - harder to balance with a difficult life at school etc. I'd say.

If you want more specific info just ask away! I'm only good for weight training help though, I suck at running and breathing and general exercising ;D

My personal training is going pretty cool at the moment I guess, considering how little time I get to work out. Getting about 3 sessions a week, just trying to push up my big three numbers (squat, deadlift and shoulder press at the moment - i stopped benching 'cuz it was wrecking my shoulder). Just got 2x body weight squat yesterday, aiming for 2.5x bodyweight deadlift in the next week or so, haven't even got 1x bodyweight shoulder press yet but bleh, I'll be there some day. Trying to add in a bit more aesthetic work (abs, biceps etc.) so I look sexeh for summer. God I'm vain.

For an older guy...its going good for me. In the best shape I've been in years. Lots of dumbell exercise, pushups and situps. Wanted more cardio built in...don't have a treadmill so I started jogging about 1 1/2 years ago. Never been a big fan of running but its made a huge difference and somewhat enjoying it now. Just 1-2 times a week (running) about 8 miles total.

My summer job is all the exercise I need, and then some. A typical day sees me hauling rocks and logs, digging and various other landscaping/groundskeeping-type drudgery. Keeps me quite fit.

^
That'll do it Z. My old job, wich was land surveying, many times required setting lots of stonebound LS markers in various construction developements. 150 lb granite bounds set in at 4-5 foot depths. On very hot days...this was as good a workout as you'd get. Of course drilling machinery was helpful until you'd hit a large rock and such. Then it was back to good old shovel, posthole, tamping bar stuff.

I circuit train because, for what I want to achieve, it's the best type of exercise. My class is the 'milxtreme' military training circuits at the world famous Rooney's gym in London. Classes vary, but more or less it's similiar to crossfit...all based on gym jones and Mark Twight's method. Tons of pullups, pushups, squats, rings, kettle bells, etc. It shreds body fat like a motherfucker and builds lean muscle. Your stamina goes through the roof, too. I used to train in San Diego at Undisputed (downtown) and it was awesome. I stopped doing Muay Thai (sadly) here and regular boxing too, because the classes were just too easy. The new program I've been doing is great.

Anyone else train in a similiar manner? Gone are the days of old fashioned body building training. Circuit training is superior for overall fitness.

WRONG.

weightlifting progressively and interval training.

circuit training is a trend.